Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot agony...

Poster: A snowHead
I have had pot luck with hire boots over the years and after 2 very painful weeks skiing last year I went to Snow and Rock and had a pair of "Salomon X Pro 90 W" in 23.5 with moulded insoles.
Fast forward to last week, had a good first day, 2nd day got cramp on the sole along the 4 small toes (big one was fine!) and then after a couple of hours it went numb. 3rd day had to take the insole out because of the pain, this made it a lot better but felt a bit hard so put shoe insoles in to try and soften it a bit, but this made it very painful again so took them out and just had the liner.

I didn't want to waste the rest of my holiday so went to The Boot Lab in Courchevel 1650 who said the boots are too big, which does make sense because I can move my foot around a lot when I don't have the insoles in and am constantly pushing my foot back, but with the insoles in they don't move around as much but it is agony. He measured them and with account for the heel lift with insoles they come up as a 22.5. But also said it was hard to get 22.5 boots as they are made with the same moulds as 23.5's just with the toe blocked off slightly.
I got back yesterday, 2 days of not wearing ski boots and the top of my left foot is still numb (the kind of feeling you get before you get pins and needles), I did the boots up tight for 1 hour when he told me they were too big but the pain was too much so this was the only time in the whole week that they were done up tighter than the loosest setting on all 4 catches.

I am going back to Rock and Snow this week to try and get it sorted, but does anyone know a brand that makes a 22.5 mould but that are still wide enough?

Also has anyone had prolonged numbness and will the feeling come back?!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have square feet. I was told that 'head edge' are one of the widest boots and that's what I was advised to get.

I was in agnony with the flat bed and had mouldings done in Flaine last season. The difference was unreal.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hopefully the original snr shop should either sort you out or give you a refund or another boot option, especially if there is a fit issue. Did yoiu buy therm reasonably recently, therefore under guarantee or general consumer rights?
Fundamentally though, sounds like there's a problem somewhere with these not being the size, volume or design that you need.

Doubtless others will be along and tell you to visit one of the recommended independent UK fitters rather than the 'chain' shops, who sometimes do not attract the best reputation for supplying the right boots (as I know to my cost of many painful or poor fitting ski weeks).

Yes, I've recently had prolonged foot numbness as you described, despite my newish boots being custom fitted by a recommended fitter ( and otherwise pretty darn comfy and doing what they're meant to do). I think that I had one of the toe buckles up a bit tight and didn't realise.
Took a few days to come on and about 3 weeks to go but, yes, at some point it wasn't there anymore.

Good luck Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowpony12, Welcome to SnowHeads Very Happy

I expect one of the Pro Boot Fitters will be along to analyse your issue. If your boot is too small, then it is typically squashed either in length or width (or both). If your boot is too large, you end up doing up the clips too tight so form pinch points on your foot (which sounds like what you are experiencing). With properly fitting boots, you should be able to wiggle your toes, but everything else should be held firmly (especially your heel), without any pressure points.

This chart from Evo is really to show BSL (Boot Sole Length), but it does show the models that come in 22/22.5. There really are not that many, and whether you will be able to find any in stock is another matter.

http://www.evo.com/ski-boot-sole-length-bsl-size-chart.aspx
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowpony12,
Quote:

I frequently get numbness on the top of one or other foot, probably from carelessly doing the front clips up too tightly (my aim, not always achieved, is merely to 'catch' those two clips, to prevent them from flapping). If this happens, the feeling comes back, but it takes several months for it do so.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowpony12, as the guys at boot lab said there are not that many true 22/22.5 boot shells out there, but there are some
salomon X Pro, X Max... Lange RX (LV, not the 100mm) Atomic Hawx (Ultra, prime and Magna) and a few others

without seeing the foot it is impossible to say what the right boot might be, but one thing is for sure, the middle of february is not the time to be trying to find boots in this size, you need to shop early (September/October at latest) before they all go, thew shops which do stock this size do not have many of them, they either sell early or sit there all season and collect dust, but normally the former
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
@snowpony12,
Quote:

I frequently get numbness on the top of one or other foot, probably from carelessly doing the front clips up too tightly (my aim, not always achieved, is merely to 'catch' those two clips, to prevent them from flapping). If this happens, the feeling comes back, but it takes several months for it do so.

That is interesting, bad luck by the way, my toes take about 4 weeks to come back. Weird thing is my boots seem to fit, are not uncomfortable and do not need excesssive doing up (apologies) maybe I need foot beds.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone, am taking them back this week as want to get them sorted before going back at Easter, I bought them in the summer and have only used them for a week so fingers crossed. I had the insole mouldings done but have seen about shell mouldings since so will ask.
Thanks for the boot suggestions, hoping that they will be able to order some in as really don't want to waste another week (or I will just have to sit in a bar!)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I also had Salomon boots from Snow + Rock (not sure of the exact model but they look similar to yours) with a custom insole and have had lots of difficulty with them, one day they are fine the next they are agony. They are usually very cold (i.e. too tight). More than once after taking them off I've been unable to walk for 20 mins, unbelievable pins and needles or numb toes. I just have to ski with them on the loosest setting and with the clasps over your feet not done up at all.

Not sure if Snow + Rock will do anything for them as I've had them a few years now.

Don't know if it's just a coincidence (same boots, same shop), I'd be interested to hear other people's experience of this combination.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SkiTsar wrote:
I also had Salomon boots from Snow + Rock (not sure of the exact model but they look similar to yours) with a custom insole and have had lots of difficulty with them.
Don't know if it's just a coincidence (same boots, same shop), I'd be interested to hear other people's experience of this combination.

I had/have the same X Pro 90 (w) as the OP. Bought on a cheap flyer at an independent shop but not S&R. Really were too big a volume boot for me, but brilliant heel hold and no slop or fit or pain issues at all, though used a volume reducer insole. Used my old custom insoles/arch supports. Was really quite happy with them, just too upright a stance and a bit too low a flex and not quite as snug a fit as I like - but certainly not a problem boot for me.
BUT, the point here is that we all have different shape & size feet - e.g. I struggle with extremerly narrow rear foot & shin/calf, normal to wide but low forefoot. We also have different overall anatomies, leg shape, ankle flex and skiing styles and abilities. Just because a boot suits person A does not mean that it will suit B. You need to get fitted for the right boot: and even then it's often far from 1-shot easy.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Im not a fan of custom insoles as they support the feet in the position that caused your problems in the first place.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@nosnowballz, I'm not a fan of your advice as you are talking rubbish.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
why? dimwit.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nosnowballz wrote:
why? dimwit.

....brave.... very brave Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This forum is just full of trolls.
latest report
@nosnowballz, rearrange... calling black kettle pot
snow report
oh stop talking "rubbish".
snow conditions
Should I fetch popcorn?
snow conditions
@nosnowballz, as a matter of interest (well, sort of interest...) why are you suddenly resurrecting a five month old thread? Are you a professional boot fitter?
ski holidays
@Hurtle didnt even realize the thread was old as it doesnt take much to scroll through a few pages to find threads years old.
snow report
@Hurtle, does seem that @nosnowballz has a bit of a fixation about boot fitting issues - from his/her other posts. But this interest is very clearly not of a professional nature. Whilst he/she may have found something that works personally (or at least seems to) the advice would seem to be very questionable indeed for the majority of skiers.
snow report
@ Tubaski I was scammed £200 by a custom boot fitter, so am I wrong to try to warn others against custom boot fitters? Dont talk about me in a thread its rude and obnoxious.
snow conditions
@nosnowballz, Your posting history shows a lot of links to a couple of websites, maybe a candidate for the spammers thread.
snow report
@nosnowballz, I was scammed by a taxi driver in Beijing - but I don't go around telling people not to take cabs.
Rude and obnoxious eh? I think you were the one that just called another forum user a "dimwit".
If you resurrect multiple old threads and post duff advice across them - you should expect that to be subject to discussion and questioning of your motives. As you chose not to answer @Hurtle's reasonable question I think its fair to offer some speculation.
snow report
@nosnowballz, resurrecting multiple dead threads to pitch your irritation is also poor forum behaviour.

Especially when the accompanying advice is so crap.

@rjs - that too

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 21-07-17 13:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@nosnowballz, I'm not a fan of your advice as you are talking rubbish.

That made me chuckle Very Happy Very Happy

Agreed, resurrecting a 5 month old thread to give rubbish advice is the work of an absolute village

If your custom insole is shaped to manifest the problem with your feet rather than cure it... then yes you have been scammed. But that's not representative of all boot fitters.

To be fair, my first custom ski boot insole did EXACTLY this. When Colin saw it he was reasonably P-O'd that people are calling themselves qualified whilst producing such rubbish.

But this did not lead me to slag off custom insoles. The new insoles that Colin provided are just the ticket.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 21-07-17 13:30; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Quote:

Are you a professional boot fitter?

I really hope not.
snow report
Oh. They've disappeared. Astonishing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nosnowballz, ok then... explain to my why.... a custom insole holds the foot in the position that caused the problems.... i sure as hell know the ones i build don't

/please explain

edit, not 100% sure but i think i may have an idea who @nosnowballz is and if i am correct he is playing a very very dangerous game
ski holidays
This guy was on here in dec pushing sites selling gel footbeds or knee braces and other rubbish, all with never ending reasoning that is plainly idiotic .

I don't think those on this site would buy these products so will ignore but these types can get rude sending shallow threats by private message when confronted .

This happened to me elsewhere so I'm for the mods or whoever shutting them down on here .
ski holidays
@CEM, go, spill the beans wink
snow report
@under a new name, i will wait until he reveals himself then blow him apart, need to be a little careful right now Wink
snow report
@CEM, Twisted Evil
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@CEM, go, spill the beans wink

No it's not him, i'm Sparticus.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@snowpony12,
Quote:

Same here, and my boots are a perfect fit.

Had mine done at Profeet in Fulham and they're the best-fitting boots I've ever had, after experiencing a lifetime of discomfort and foot pain with boots bought and fitted locally.

They're Atomic Carbon Waymakers, as I have very wide feet with a high instep. They are absolutely fantastic, and the LiveFit sections on them ease pressure on your toes.
ski holidays
That's great to read HoneyBunny - I'll let the team know about your comments. Can you remember who fitted you?
snow conditions
HoneyBunny wrote:

They're Atomic Carbon Waymakers, as I have very wide feet with a high instep. They are absolutely fantastic, and the LiveFit sections on them ease pressure on your toes.

Atomic boots are very comfortable....provided there is a model that fits you (of course).
latest report
@iainm, as I recall you are involved with Profeet in a marketing capacity. Might I politely suggest that if Profeet wish to improve their profile on the forum that perhaps one of their bootfitters posting and offering advice (like @CEM does so well) would be more welcome and constructive than you periodically spamming the forum or jumping in whenever they are mentioned.
I have nothing against Profeet themselves, and I've heard very good things about their bootfitting (in fact they would have been my second choice after @CEM), but the fact they are (presumably) paying someone to spam forums tends to put me off.
snow report
@Tubaski, im with you.

If you want your brand to benefit from the forum, the forum should benefit from your brand.
ski holidays
I agree. I recommend Profeet all the time...it would be nice to see some contributions
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy