Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question about buying boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi - first time poster on this forum, hope you can help ... go easy on me! rolling eyes
I'm in the process of identifying a new freeride/all mountain boot. I'm prepared to invest in a high'ish end boot so looking at Burton ION (or SLX), DC Travis Rice or the like.
I'm an intermediate rider and my question is when reviews talk about a boot being for advanced or expert riders ... what exactly are they referring to? Does rider level equate to stiffness - e.g. where stiffness is 9 you assume it's for an expert - or to put it the other way around ... it is possible to get a stiff boot for intermediate. The 2017 ION and SLX are good examples because I've seen these rated softer (like a 7) yet nearly always described as an advanced rider boot ... so does rider level equate to something else, like ££cost for example?
Any help greatly appreciated .... Would also love to hear from any intermediate riders riding the 2017 ION or SLX (or good alternatives) and what you think of them .... ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I moved from the Ion to the SLX - the Ion was just too stiff for me. Remember that good snowboarding involves flexing your ankles and controlling the angle of the board through your ankles. If you can't do this because you're blocked by a boot made of concrete then you're going to be limited.

So why is the SLX up the range from the Ion, even though it's softer? The liner is 'superior' - the foam can be ground to help with fitting and keeps its shape better so that it doesn't get sloppy. The articulation in the outer shell also supposedly stops the outer shell from softening over time, making it last longer. You've also got a load of 'features' - I'll let you decide if they're worth £200.

So you've got a boot that starts off just as stiff as say an Imperial, but will keep that flex longer, and won't pack the liner out around your foot as much, meaning the fit stays snugger for longer. I'm not sure if this follows over from ski boots, but a more advanced ski boot would often have a narrower last initially (yes, millions of exceptions, but in general), leading to a snugger fit in the first place.

Be careful comparing boots over different brands. Salomon reckon their Synapse is their 2nd stiffest boot and their Malamute their stiffest. Last time I went shopping I did the Synapse right up, flexed forwards and just crushed the thing to the ground - no support at all. They reckon that thing's an 8/10. They didn't have Malamutes in my size this time, but I've had them before and I reckon they're softer than my SLXs. I'd have preferred Salomons, because their last shape suits my foot, but ended up with Burton just because I couldn't get anything that I didn't overpower!

So to sum up, try different brands as they fit & behave differently. Make sure you're not going too stiff or too soft - people who want Driver-Xs KNOW they want them. Make sure your sizing is correct - best done by buying from someone who knows what he's doing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went from Vans Aura to Flow Talon Focus (similar to the Travis Rice I think).
The Flow's are a lot stiffer than the Aura's, and it took me a few days to adjust to them, I had to change my style a bit. But the support is so much better for high speed stuff, and they are totally waterproof. They even feel better off jumps which I wasn't expecting really. Definitely highly recommend them if you like Boas.
I'm a decent intermediate level I suppose, do about 5 to 6 weeks a season boarding.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Beware of the Ion, I recently did one week on new 2016 ions, on the first day I had them laced up as you would expect and had almost zero ankle flex, for the rest of the week I left the upper lace undone and still had a bruise ring round my leg by the end of the week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The DC is pretty stiff my mate had them and didn't like them at all but they are a well made boot, full of tech from what i saw. He's an intermediate rider and is now rocking Vans Auras dbl boas. I have the Burton Imperial which I wouldn't swap for anything. Solid boot, flex of 7 so just right for me off-piste, park or just messing about. Comfortable with great traction. I'm intermediate too so I wouldn't go stiffer, there's no need unless what you're doing really demands it (are you Travis Rice in disguise? ) Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ah ha .. yes it's me Travis (not) ... thanks guys for the comments ...
jiagedaping - so you'd recommend the SLX then? Gainz - i'll check out the Imperial too - thanks.
I tried the Travis Rice and they had great space in the toe box ... something I've struggled with in the past ...
I'm on Burton Genesis bindings ... any thoughts on the best match-up with the boots mentioned above?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
vin3345 wrote:
jiagedaping - so you'd recommend the SLX then?

Yeah - I like them. I bought them very agressively small to make up for the fact that they were way too loose around the heel. They give you some inserts to lock in at the heel, and I also added a small heel riser and then cut away at the liner in several places. After wearing them daily (I teach in the northern and southern hemispheres) for about 6 months they're pretty comfy and definitely responsive. However - that might not be the case for you - go try them. If you hate them, don't convince yourself to buy them!

vin3345 wrote:
I'm on Burton Genesis bindings ... any thoughts on the best match-up with the boots mentioned above?

Any of them really - mid/stiff flexing binding.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bough the genesis as an upgrade on my contact pros but when I got them in my hands I decided against keeping them. A bit of overkill on the tech and look for me. I know lots of people love them but I not convinced that they are that much better than the cartels to warrant the extra cost. The contact pros are really light and have great feel under foot so I'm sticking with them for this season. I would have liked to ride on the genesis but refund was more important. Any of those boots would be fine with them I'd have thought.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Be careful comparing boots over different brands. Salomon reckon their Synapse is their 2nd stiffest boot and their Malamute their stiffest. Last time I went shopping I did the Synapse right up, flexed forwards and just crushed the thing to the ground - no support at all. They reckon that thing's an 8/10. They didn't have Malamutes in my size this time, but I've had them before and I reckon they're softer than my SLXs. I'd have preferred Salomons, because their last shape suits my foot, but ended up with Burton just because I couldn't get anything that I didn't overpower!

I switched to Synapse from Malamutes last winter and I only notice a pretty small difference in stiffness between the two, I still find the Synapse a pretty stiff boot. I do have the Boa version though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I bought a pair of Ions in Feb last year (2016). They replaced my aged but loved Salomon F24s. The F24s were as stiff as a farmhouse table but not comfortable and although still in reasonable condition, I decided they had to go. This decision was helped by seeing the Burton Ions in special edition 'Redwing' leather. They are a thing of beauty!

The Ions aren't as stiff as my F24s but are good and are stiff enough. When do you want stiffness and when do you want flex? Jibbing, rails and general park stuff needs soft boots. Carving pistes, hooning and powder... you want stiff boots.

As for comfort, the Ions are like moccasin slippers. Streets ahead of my old Salomons. My only complaint was the footbeds didn't work with my feet. To correct this, I had custom footbeds made at Nevada Sports in Tignes in November. These have been a revelation.

The Redwing leather needs frequent leather care conditioner application, but so do my Hestras. Well worth it and I could ask for anything more in a boot.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the info stevomcd and bar shaker useful to get some real world feedback. After years of poor fitting boots the Salomon F22s changed my world but they finally folded on the last day of my holiday the other week and it is the Malamute, Synapse and Ion I was going to try on first. Although annoyingly nowhere in Scotland seems to stock all of them (In fact nowhere in Glasgow even sells the synapse and malamute!).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy