Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing 3 months after ACL tear?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

First week of January I managed to totally rupture my ACL, and gained a vertical tear to my lateral meniscus. It was rather painless in all honesty... I felt the typical pop, and the knee began to swell but I've barely had any actual pain throughout the process.
I plan on getting surgery, but the waiting list in my area will put my surgery some time in early summer. I'm only 23 and generally a very active person between skiing, cycling, rugby and weightlifting, so I do want the surgery but the consensus from my physio is that my knee still shows good stability without the ACL and I could go without the surgery if i so wish.

My recovery has been pretty swift so far, and I've always had very strong legs from heavy deadlifting and squatting in the gym. So, am I totally bonkers for thinking about getting back on the slopes in March? I have a prebooked trip with my family to Austria on the 19th march and I'm struggling to face the thought of being in a ski resort and not skiing!! Laughing Even if i only ski the mornings before the pistes get bumpy and stick to blues, it would be better than nothing! Given that my surgery wont be till may or june anyway, my knee feels pretty strong as it is now, and I am a very experienced skier (skied since i was 4 years old and worked two full seasons in the last two years)?

Anyone got any experience of returning to skiing soon after an ACL injury or any opinions? I'm looking for some clarity!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If your insurance covers you, you are probably ok. Some people ski without ACLs. Your knee will revolt if unhappy. I had a reconstruction and skied 10 months later. My head was cautious. I have also had non skiing skiing holidays, do-able but not so much fun. Good luck.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I snowboarded for 8 x weeks one winter without an ACL and with a tear in my Meniscus whilst waiting for an Operation. (Mind you, there is less twisting of the knee during snowboarding as opposed to Skiing).

I bought and wore a CTi Pro Sport Knee Brace to lessen the chance that I buggered up my knee further whilst snowboarding without an ACL and to protect it.

I'd swear by a CTi Pro Sport Brace, it cost quite a few quid but the outlay was worth it as I knew I had loads of snowboarding planned that winter.

I'd say the big risk is that you bug it up futher,,,,, New MCL injury, further tear in miniscus. However if your doing loads of strength and conditioning then as @margaret, says maybe give it a go.

I used my Brace the following winter whilst doing a season (as a way to protect the knee) so got my moneys worth out of it.

Good luck.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Talk to Wimbledon Clinics and get proper medical advice, maybe it will be ok maybe trying it will make things worse!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JerseyDan,

I would be very very cautious skiing with a recent Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) rupture.
If your meniscii and joint surfaces are intact you are putting your knee at huge risk. A reconstruction with intact meniscii and joint surfaces gives much better results in the short term. In the long term ( 10 to 15 years) the results can be hugely improved.

If you insist on skiing you must get, at least, a sophisticated brace. That will not provide full protection.

Jonathan Bell
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy