Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Changing ski's (rental)

Poster: A snowHead
Hopefully someone can help me out here.
I've skied since I was a child (most years albeit a gap in my 20's when I was completely skint). I always hire skis because I've only ever done a week a year.

This year in Moriond, I've hired the 'silver ' grade skis but my performance is poor. I'm certain their shorter than what I normally get too. My happy space is on a red piste and even though it's a bit icy and wet in parts, I'm really scrabbling for purchase. It doesn't matter how much I turn my knees in, I'm like bambi on ice.

I am embarrassed to admit that I have no tech knowledge of the equipment I use so I don't feel qualified to ask for an upgraded pair of skis. I've checked and checked my technique and I'm pretty certain that my skis are letting me down. Any advice? Can I upgrade?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go tell the shop you don't like them (and by the sounds of it they could do with a bit of a service), most hire places will be happy to swap them for you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If the shop sells new skis, rub your finger (carefully) across the edges and feel how sharp they are....and then compare that with what they are renting to you.

It sounds like, as was said above, a tuning issue.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Merch.Y.Mynydd, you don't need to know why the skis don't work for you (or even that it is definitely the skis), just go back to the shop and ask them if you can change the skis because you're not really getting on with them. Tell them what you've told us, let them suggest something else. Probably helps if you go in when they are not too busy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tubaski wrote:
@Merch.Y.Mynydd, you don't need to know why the skis don't work for you (or even that it is definitely the skis), just go back to the shop and ask them if you can change the skis because you're not really getting on with them. Tell them what you've told us, let them suggest something else. Probably helps if you go in when they are not too busy.

IMO. It does no harm to know what a properly sharp edge feels like, as rental skis often don't meet a decent standard.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Old Fartbag wrote:

IMO. It does no harm to know what a properly sharp edge feels like, as rental skis often don't meet a decent standard.

Very true, although if you go back to the shop and say the skis aren't gripping one would hope they'd give you a sharper pair anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you everyone - I'm
Not the most confident and I've 'made do' in the past because of this. Not anymore though - we've saved hard for this holiday and I want to do the best I can on the slopes. Actually, looking at them, they're also the shortest I've ever had!

As lovely as the ski guy was, my husband and I were convinced he was hammered or very hungover rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I took a pair back after two days and said "my instructor thinks I should have longer ones" (true). Changed without question. No relation at all to gold, silver etc level.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Merch.Y.Mynydd wrote:
I'm Not the most confident and I've 'made do' in the past because of this.

I'm the same and when I rented skis I would tend to settle for what I had. However you wouldn't happily rent a car that had flat tyres, which is effectively what you're doing when you rent skis with dull edges. The hire shop will have no problem changing them for you if you're not happy so don't fret about taking them back.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Really grateful for this website and all your advice. I'm going in first thing tomorrow - should be nice and quiet.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Merch.Y.Mynydd, never feel reluctant to change them. That is one of the advantages of hire skis-you can try different ones. They may be too short, too dull, too stiff, too soft- the point is you want to try something else. Get them to explain a bit about the choices they have for you and see if it makes sense. Swap them again if you don't like them- this is how we learn about skis!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone. Going back in first thing then straight to the slopes. I'll let you all know how I get on.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It can always feel a little intimidating, especially if your french isn't brilliant. But don't forget that its their job and you're paying them.
I also rent when in Europe, my advice is once you've found something that works write down the make & length for future trips. You can also purchase a small edge sharpener to take with you for when you're in dire straits.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The rental chap was fab - different man this time. Swapped them immediately. They're much longer and sharper. I returned to the same runs in 1850 yesterday and they felt amazing! Happy Days! Thanks again everyone.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Merch.Y.Mynydd, when we used to rent skis we always took pictures of what they were before handing them back, and also photographed a note of how nice they were/weren't. We knew nothing about skis at all then, but it gave us a base point for future hires......and no bits of paper to get lost!
ski holidays
Great idea sj- I'll do that.
snow report
Glad the new skis are working for you!
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Merch.Y.Mynydd wrote:
I'm Not the most confident and I've 'made do' in the past because of this.

I'm the same and when I rented skis I would tend to settle for what I had. However you wouldn't happily rent a car that had flat tyres, which is effectively what you're doing when you rent skis with dull edges. The hire shop will have no problem changing them for you if you're not happy so don't fret about taking them back.

I suppose though that for many less experienced skiers, if your skis aren't "working" properly you're never quite sure if its really the skis at fault or if its just bad technique. Embarassed

A bit like the urban myth of the American tourist who rented a car in the UK and returned it to the rental company complaining that it was making lots of noise and wouldn't go above 20 miles an hour, only to be told that in a manual transmission you need to engage the clutch to get out of first gear! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy