Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My return to skiing after a hip replacement - How it went after a 6 yr gap

Poster: A snowHead
Well you don't hear much from me these days, but the reason is that I haven't skied for almost 5 years now and find it quite depressing to read about folks having such fun doing what I loved.

I have always been a big bloke and the knees have had a very tough life, but about 7 years ago the hip started to get much worse. I have not been able to fasten my own right boot for almost 10 years as the hip joint gradually seized. As my activities reduced my weight increased and peaked at 135kg before christmas. After some harsh words from the boss, words such as: wheelchair, blob, useless, death, divorce, fat, tosser etc etc, it was decided, that despite my relatively young age, that the hip had to be sorted and fitness re-established while the downward spiral was still reversible.

My surgeon has said he can see no reason, providing all goes well, that I cannot ski again. He has suggested that I may want to get it skiing before the left knee gives out. In his words, the knee was knackered in a film he has of it 10 years ago, but my aim is to get back and do some sliding next March. I now have the arthritis in both knees, both hips a wrist and some fingers, but I simply have to get out and do some sliding again.

Snowheads instruction at Bashes transformed my skiing from UTTERLY HOPELESS to quite acceptable; I have met some internet weirdos who I now consider distant but wonderful friends and the Snowheads thing has considerably enriched my life.

The op is Tuesday 28th Feb - The Boss is delighted that it is happening, so delighted that she goes skiing 6 days after I have the op. I am really pleased for her as she has not skied since I stopped.

Here's hoping to be more active on the snow and in the chatroom

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 20-03-18 10:44; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My father had his first hip replacement 20 years ago and the other side a few years after that. The change in him from a man with pain etched on his face to more like the active person he was was pronounced. He still skis in his late 70's although to be fair he probably only does an hour or so a day now. My mother had one knee replaced last year which she skied on 6 months later and the other was replaced late last year and we are all due to go skiing in a couple of weeks. To be honest her skiing was so much better after the knee replacement it was unreal. She also probably only does an hour or so of skiing a day but she still enjoys it as much as ever.

Trying to get your weight down has got to be a helpful aim, but you know that. Have you tried one of those food intake apps? If only to see where the calories are coming from? I lost 20kg by giving up foods with processed sugar in them, so no sweets, chocolate, sugary cereals, yogurts, limited amounts of fruit juice. I didn't change anything else about my diet at the time and the weight came off over 9 months. Two years later I still don't eat any of those foods, and the weight has stayed off. I may not live any longer but it's going to seem like it Wink

I hope the operation goes well which I am sure it will

all the best.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 21-02-17 10:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pieman666, Thanks for that - Most helpful and informative. I have shifted 5kg so far by just eating better and trying to exercise a bit more. I know that reducing weight will be a huge factor in so many of my goals. I have cheered up already knowing that the pain is going to reduce substantially.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Frosty the Snowman, can't WAIT to ski with you again and I'm sure I'm not alone amongst snowHeads. The very best of luck and see you on a Bash SOON! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy xxx
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Frosty the Snowman, ((((hugs))))) looking forward to you being back on the skis.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PS I've got arthritis in my knees, shoulder and hands. None of those will stop me skiing!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Frosty the Snowman, at 135kg I'd choose your exercise carefully. I speak from personal experience of similar ballpark figures that it will be hard work on knees particularly to do any significant running distance. The pool is probably your friend, or look for a non-impact form of exercise you can do and will keep doing. For me it was the treadmill, which I don't think is a great idea just yet (once the weight starts shifting I'm sure it will be fine) but certainly helps to push the diet a bit and burn a few calories.

As I'm sure you know, you can't lose much weight in the gym. Diet is the only way. I counted calories very effectively, just by cutting out a lot of sugary drinks and eating a small lunch I could lose weight and still eat Dominos pizza every few days and didn't have to be that guy eating a garden salad when everybody wants to go out. From 135kg it needs to be sustainable, and I'm quite sure that if you can get a good start on it skiing will not only be possible it will be enjoyable and your knees and hips will probably feel brilliant with the weight shifted.

Finally a useful piece of advice that helped me, it sounds like you are eating more than you should out of frustration and/or everything else, I did the same. You are not a dog. Do not reward yourself with food.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

You are not a dog. Do not reward yourself with food.

It's not good for dogs either.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Frosty the Snowman, really glad to hear this ... i WILL ski with you next year!

I gave arthritis in my hands and dodgy knees... as you will know naproxen is a great freind.

Xx
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Best of luck with the OP, I'd really recommend an intensive Physio rehab program, do some yoga too it will help with flexibility and weight management. You'll be flying down the slopes next year.
Some tips from Physio I've attended: http://bonnesantephysio.blogspot.ie/2016_12_01_archive.html
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Frosty the Snowman, I had my right hip replaced just under 5 years ago at 54 years old. Severe arthritis, no idea why as there is no sign of it thankfully in the left hip. Probably a skiing, hockey, cricket or bar related fall that put the joint slightly out some years previously.

Anyway I did not ski the year after but have been a couple of times a year since. Trying to keep fit is the key, I now cycle as running is not recommended for the artificial hip.

Listen to the physio and follow their advice - I was walking 5k on a regular basis after 3 or 4 weeks of the op.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good luck with the op. I've had a couple of health/age related challenges. The most significant one being the loss of an eye. I think my love of skiing actually helped my recovery because I was so determined that it wouldn't stop me skiing and as a result did everything I could to adapt. With some good advice from people on this forum I hit the slopes and had a fantastic time. Not least because I truly appreciated how fortunate I was to still be able to ski. Keep positive and decide now that you will ski again. And enjoy it 😎
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Frosty the Snowman I had a hip resurfacing (implant, but retains more bone) December 2011 at age 43.

Couldn't ski in the usual January trip in 2012 Crying or Very sad but went a year later. Surgeon told me skiing was fine, as long as no off piste or moguls.

Advice for you - by following the physio advice and pushing yourself really hard on the stretches in the year after the op, you will see the benefits for years to come. I still had a bit of hip pain for a few months as the implant bedded in, but I can comfortably say I don't even notice it now (esp as the scar is on my bum !!).

I was a cyclist as well, so my main exercise continued to be cycling to work.

Had to can the squash / 5 asides / running as these are too weight bearing - and frankly I would rather put off the inevitable revision surgery as long as possible.

I still get out hillwalking with my son though, and (apart from being knackered at the end of a long day) have no ill effects.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many thanks for the kind words and the fantastic and personal advice. You honestly have no idea as to how grateful I am. Will keep updating. Running has been out of the question for 20 years, but I am looking forward to walking and getting on my bike. As much low impact stuff as i can manage.
Thanks again Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You'll storm it big fella. Only variable is what sort of hip replacement you are having and what that means for starting rehab. My mum had both done - the first she was off games for considerably longer than the second and got back to skiing fine with only the addition of some impact shorts for just a bit of confidence.

If you're prepared to take EPO you can probably win the Tour de France afterwards like Landis.
snow report
FWIW a friend from my home town (not quite 30) who winters (10 and counting) in Morzine and summers at a surf spot in SW France had a hip replacement not quite a year ago (I think due to a bone disease) and is already back skiing and surfing - hopefully it won't take too long for you to get back on snow either!
snow conditions
Best of luck with the op.
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman,
Good luck with it and don't listen to this nonsense abut not having food as a reward, after a hard day on the slopes you will have really earned that stick of celery.
snow report
@T Bar, Laughing
snow report
@T Bar, If you freeze celery hard enough it can be used as a decent cosh.
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, Good luck fella. I remember being overtaken at the foot of a 600 ft icefall by a chap soloing it who was trying out his new double hip replacements, he was climbing damn well.

BTW, I gave up running due to knee pain, the mountain biking has been a great replacement.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Well you don't hear much from me these days,

Maybe not - but you're still a legend in your own lunchtime!* How many times have nervous first-time bashees been told to say, "Are you Frosty the Snowman?" to weird-looking strangers in airport bars Laughing .

Seriously, good luck with the op and the rehab and hope to see you skiing next season.

*Forget I mentioned lunch. It's for wimps.
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, Fantastic news....It will be great to see you in the flesh at a bash instead of virtually! Hopefully less of you to see too!
snow report
Quote:

It will be great to see you in the flesh

Shocked Shocked

I say, steady on there - this is a family forum snowHead

I have a friend with arthritis in her hands who swears by turmeric capsules (and lots of hot curries). Any other sufferers tried those (the capsules that is) with success?

FTS - thought I'd not see you again before I'm too old for it, now I can echo the hopes above Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Yoda wrote:
Quote:

Shocked Shocked

Well there was the incident in the snowdome car park with @Frosty the Snowman and @Michelle......
latest report
That's a happy post Very Happy Hope rehab goes smoothly. Free lesson from me next time I see you on snow, if you'll have me...
ski holidays
homphomp wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Quote:

Shocked Shocked

Well there was the incident in the snowdome car park with @Frosty the Snowman and @Michelle......

There is only 1 other response to that - Oxalys jacuzzi.....
latest report
@rob@rar, aw snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
There is only 1 other response to that - Oxalys jacuzzi.....
Laughing How many of us were squeezed in to it that day?
snow report
@rob@rar, was it 11?
snow report
Laughing Laughing
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@rob@rar, was it 11?
11 or 12 (in a 6-man hot tub). I got very cosy with charlatanefc from what I can remember.
latest report
@rob@rar, Shocked Shocked Shocked that doesn't bear thinking about!!
snow report
@rob@rar, happy days (!)
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@rob@rar, happy days (!)
Speak for yourself, I've spent years trying to block out the memory.

wink
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, You were always fairly Hip in my view dood, that needed no replacement.
Joking apart, COME ON!!

ps, pleased to say I was present at two of the legendary events mentioned in this thread Laughing
snow report
Look, as I mentioned at the time, I genuinely forgot that I was not wearing trunks....and....I have no idea how the ski sock got where it did.

Thanks again all, but especially for reminding me how many fantastic memories skiing has brought me, both on and off the piste.

@rob@rar, sold to the big lad snowHead
latest report
Before my time on sHs. A lucky escape by the sound of it. Shocked
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, Good luck with the op and I hope you have a great recovery. See you on the BB next year? That'd be great, as I know you love that area.
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, Good luck with the op. Stop eating so much sh1te. For non impact exercise I can highly recommend a Concept 2 rowing machine. If you buy three of them you can hook them together and get the lads involved in a bit of competition. One of the old lads (older than me anyway wink ) at the rowing club has had both hips and both knees replaced. He was morbidly obese about 3 years ago when he got the other hip done. He is now classified as an erg monster. 6'2, 80Kg and people at least 30 years younger can't compete.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy