Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help! Need a nanny in Meribel!

Poster: A snowHead
Really hoping someone can help!

We are off to Meribel on the 19th of March, and due to a mix up we do not have a nanny booked for our 5month old. We need one for half days from the Monday 20th to Saturday the 25th.

I've tried Snow bugs, Meribel Nanny service, Merinannies and T4nannies but (unsurprisingly at this late notice) no one has any availability!

Anyone know of any other local nannies? I'm not sure what we are going to do if we can't get one, may have to cancel our trip despite having paid for most of it Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unless you are a single parent surely there are alternatives to cancelling the holiday. Perhaps you can take it in turns to ski either mornings or afternoons whilst the other one looks after baby? You might not get to ski together but it's got to be better than not going at all
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SkiG, it's only a guess, but possibly contact the companies that advertise nanny services (Mark Warner etc) to see if they have any spare they could sub-contract?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When we were at that stage, we often paid for a member of one of our families to go...usually one of Mrs F's sisters, or her mother.

We always self catered, so not much more expensive than paying child caring fees.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or, you know, look after your own kids......
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@SkiG, You could try posting on one of the Meribel/3Vs seasonaire FB groups.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Guvnor, +1
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for the Meribel/3v FB groups. I'd have thought you would have a reasonable shot at getting a babysitter for at least some of your half days, then you and whoever you are going with might rotate other days a few hours so at least you can make something of the holiday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Guvnor, +2
Quote:

so at least you can make something of the holiday

Ouch
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the suggestions,

We have considered the idea of bringing a family member out, but to be honest it is not much fun for a non-skier to sit in a chalet for the week, and would cost in excess of £1000 to add on to accommodation and buy flights so is not really a goer. The wife is not keen on going and skiing separately (which is what I think we should do), so the fallback will be either to cut our losses, or maybe see if I can find a mate who wants to go in her place (which is what she wants) if we cant get something sorted but I don't feel happy about it.

Not a bad idea about Mark Warner etc, will get doing some contacting.

Will check out the FB groups, but I suspect that it may prove tricky as we wouldn't be happy leaving him with someone who doesn't have the appropriate qualifications and criminal record checks.

Guvnor wrote:

Thats right, ski slopes are great places for babies, and perhaps someone has invented a pram on skis? rolling eyes Theres always one idiot with nothing helpful to say who nevertheless feels the need to post something.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SkiG wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions,

We have considered the idea of bringing a family member out, but to be honest it is not much fun for a non-skier to sit in a chalet for the week, and would cost in excess of £1000 to add on to accommodation and buy flights so is not really a goer. The wife is not keen on going and skiing separately (which is what I think we should do), so the fallback will be either to cut our losses, or maybe see if I can find a mate who wants to go in her place (which is what she wants) if we cant get something sorted but I don't feel happy about it.

Not a bad idea about Mark Warner etc, will get doing some contacting.

Will check out the FB groups, but I suspect that it may prove tricky as we wouldn't be happy leaving him with someone who doesn't have the appropriate qualifications and criminal record checks.

Guvnor wrote:

Thats right, ski slopes are great places for babies, and perhaps someone has invented a pram on skis? rolling eyes Theres always one idiot with nothing helpful to say who nevertheless feels the need to post something.

You've known about the baby for c.14months, so quite possibly before you even booked your ski holiday, and yet you didn't think to book a Nanny? And yet I'm the idiot.....

And what's so bad about looking after your own offspring yourself for half a day? Maybe swap over duties at lunchtime, or alternate days, I don't know, something sensible like that? Is it really such an outrageous suggestion, as opposed to dumping the baby on some random 'babysitter'.....ask yourself, why are they still available and not booked up at this late stage, and then ask yourself if you want to chance it......

And why single me out? I wasn't the first to suggest the outrageous prospect of looking after your own kids.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Guvnor wrote:

You've known about the baby for c.14months, so quite possibly before you even booked your ski holiday, and yet you didn't think to book a Nanny? And yet I'm the idiot.....

If you read the op, 'and due to a mix up we do not have a nanny booked for our 5month old'. We don't know what the mix up was. And I agree that if going on my yearly ski trip I'd rather spend the week skiing than babysitting. That's why it's a ski trip snowHead

Some judgemental feccers around today Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@martinm, Not sure we've ever met? Someone might pop along and fill you in....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Eh?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@martinm, I am indeed a 'judgemental feccer' (sic)

I was also not the first person, nor the last, in this thread to suggest the OP look after his own kids......and I see that this is the second thread in about 6 weeks he has opened asking for suggestions. He got no joy on the last one (opened before he booked the holiday is my deduction), yet he has subsequently booked the holiday without any babysitting provision, and is having a pop at me and calling me an idiot.

Whilst there is no doubt of my idiocy, at least I make certain that my kids requirements are fulfilled above my own before forking out cash on holidays....
snow report
It appears that a month ago the OP posted that they had booked to go to Meribel with another couple and were looking for a nanny because taking grandparents was too expensive. Having failed to find one they are asking for any other advice. However booking the holiday without considering the child does seem a little idiotic.
ski holidays
tarrantd wrote:
However booking the holiday without considering the child does seem a little idiotic.

Easy mistake to make Toofy Grin
latest report
Nanny was booked, has cancelled as was double booked. Hence the mix up I mentioned above. Most seem to have understood that.

@Guvnor, not sure any more input from you is required on this thread, thanks for your thoughts
ski holidays
@SkiG, Bless.....you've got two choices then haven't you?
snow conditions
This particular judgmental idiot, and father of 3 very lovely kids who I still hate to leave for even the shortest period, would like to point out something obvious;

You're supposed to look after your own kids. If you don't want to do this, don't have kids. Its not about you having fun, you did that; its all about them now.

So while you're searching for somewhere to dump the most precious thing you have in the world, just remember that the Criminal database is a list only of those who got caught. Toofy Grin

A good professional child Care provision does not rely solely upon a DBS check to protect children against abuse. You are not going to manage that, so cut your losses and take good care of your baby.
You are, strangely, the best person in the world to look after your baby, and the one person your baby wishes to spend time with. It should be another 4-5 years before you ski again. It will fly by, as will the first 18 yrs of your child's life....don't miss a second of it...because no second can be repeated..and each second gets more precious as they get older.

Judgmental Idiot
latest report
@Strax, Fine words, Mr Judgemental Idiot, alas these are clearly not what the OP wants to hear, so kindly toddle off and play happy families elsewhere
snow conditions
@SkiG, A couple of names not mentioned for Nanny services http://www.jellyandice-cream.com/childcare-in-meribel/ and http://www.zealous.eu/. The later is based in Bourg but may be able to help.

Otherwise you have a few options.
Ski half a day each and spend some time with the little one, probably the best option for all of you (see above)
Ask the accommodation provider if they can help.
Find someone here to take with you and take the bigger hit.
Cancel and lose most if not all of your money paid so far.
latest report
@tarrantd, another option is they stay at home and let the room to @Guvnor, and me. wink We were clearly made for each other.
ski holidays
@Strax, We're gonna leave the kids at home, right?
latest report
In a complete turn-a-round my son is going skiing with school on saturday and hasn't left me with any suitable supervision barr his mother. This now means there is a complete lock down on the biscuit tin as I have no one else to blame.

If the toilet seat is up it can only be one person.

If there is a plate left on the side, who can it be???

Fart smell... Wasn't me! Oh yes it was...
ski holidays
Wow, this has turned into the sort of nonsense that you would see on Mumsnet. Im glad my wife is not reading this as I am sure the suggestion that we don't want to care for our son would hurt her.

Many thanks to those of you who provided help to the question I asked. I am very pleased to say that with a little help I have found a fully qualified, well referenced nanny who is available for most of the mornings and who after a long chat and check of references I am now happy is qualified to look after our wee one. So we will get a little time skiing together.

For those of you who seem to think that parenting advice is required, I am sure you are well meaning, but with the greatest respect I do not turn to an internet ski forum for advice on how to bring up my son. (I would obviously turn to it to look for advice on finding a nanny in a ski resort!). For what its worth he is of course my primary responsibility and the most important thing in my life. We do however believe that the attitude of not having fun because we have 'done that' is not the route to a happy and well balanced family. Him spending a few hours with a well trained nanny playing and being cared for whilst his mother and father spend a few hours together doing something they love is not a negative, much the opposite.

Anyway, thanks for the help

G
latest report
Glad you have got sorted out SkiG
latest report
good stuff @SkiG, glad to see SH managed to help out and you found a solution. That's what most of us come to SH for, but there seem to be a growing contingent who come here to vent their spleen after they have finished spewing outrage on the daily mail comment section.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SkiG, Glad you got it all sorted in the end.

(My next suggestion was going to be to stuff the little one in a baby carrier on your back and ski with them Twisted Evil )
ski holidays
I, too, am glad you're sorted. I guess the judgmental idiots don't have jobs and look after their precious kids 24/7. I have four kids. All successfully grown up now, with normal lives, jobs, friends, houses etc. Yes, I worked round them, put them first but everyone needs a break/holiday! Doesn't mean you're a worse parent. Hope you have a great time.
snow report
Oh no don't go down that route. There was a previous thread on that very topic which generated huge levels of vitriol in the direction of that OP
latest report
@snowfaller, I think that was tongue in cheek by @sequoiaboard!
ski holidays
@SkiG, I've just seen this thread and also seen that you've found a solution. I live in the 3Vs and know a very reliable British Nanny who is an independent Nanny so should your current plans go awry (I hope they Don't!) drop me a line. It may even be that you're in touch with the person I was thinking of. I'm glad you found a solution. Fresh snow due next week and possibly a little tomorrow. snowHead
latest report
If ever a thread title summed up a resort its this. I'm with governor on this. 5 month olds need their parents,not a stranger.
latest report
Oh dear, generalisations and prejudiced views galore, unwanted advice, rudeness, and just the odd beacon of light in the shape of a helpful suggestion. SnowHeads gold.
ski holidays
I go out for the evening and look what happens !!
snow conditions
If only the OP had considered their language, and used the more accurate "I want a Nanny" rather than "need a Nanny" all this unpleasantness could have been avoided.

But then I guess the responses would have been more on the lines of "Don't we all, dear?" and a slew of emojis. Here's one: wink
snow conditions
"It's so hard to find decent help these days"
ski holidays
@Hurtle, in a nutshell! Well said. So many intolerant, judgmental and chippy responses. rolling eyes
snow report
@steph, but, more importantly, are you going to drop in to the EoSB this year? If you did last year, I missed you!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy