Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zurich to St Anton transfers

Poster: A snowHead
Arrive ZRH 1945 Thurs 9 March, need to be back at ZRH 1930 Sun 12 March. Accommodation in St Jakob, Party of four blokes. (Yes, I know we should try and fly in/out of Innsbruck, but no suitable flights were available!).

What is best advice on transfer to St Jakob/St Anton for those times please?

Car hire looks cheapest at c£150 (plus the round trip petrol and tolls) but then the "vignette" purchase is putting me off. The scheduled Arlberg Epxress times do not work. Train on arrival not ideal (does not reach St anton until 2343), but train back to the airport on Sunday evening might work as long as the 1657 out of St Anton really does arrive at ZRH by 1942 (am counting on Swiss railway efficiency here). Round trip transfers coming in c.EUR750-800 (a round trip on the train his notch cheaper).

Am i overthinking the car hire/vignette issue? Look forward to hearing your advice
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Jesnoid, Can't say what is best but don't let Vignette purchase put you off, dead easy and cheap.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jesnoid, you can buy an Austrian 10 day vignette online, tolltickets.com. You just book the dates you need in advance and the ticket is sent to you. I frequently fly to Zurich and car hire to St Anton/Lech. Just make sure your satnav does not take you via the Warth/Lech route as the pass is closed usually all winter.

Seeing as you are arriving late (19.45pm) you could be out of the airport by 20.30 if one of your party goes to the car hire straight away while another picks up the baggage. It's just over a 2 hour drive to St Anton in good conditions so you have time for a beer or two before bedtime!

Enjoy your break in the Arlberg. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Taxi one way should be possible at approx 300 euro
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @T Bar, @skimastaaah, @Langerzug, great advice!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just back from doing Zurich to st anton. The drive itself was no problem. Only problem was we booked sarrent car hire through a price comparison for zurich airport. The car depot was 15km away and was a pick up drop off shuttle that was a shambles. We also had to pay extra as we where driving out of Switzerland. I would drive again but pay more attention to the small print.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @WASHOUT, useful to know
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jesnoid, train best from Zurich, car ok but train very easy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jesnoid, I paid 200€ one-way for a cab to ZCH a couple of years ago... 800€ round trip is having a giggle unless you're all going in separate cabs or Holly Willoughby is driving.

Try taxi Harry, although that may have been mates rates as we were staying in Haus Harry...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @red 27, ... therein lies a great business idea!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jesnoid wrote:
The scheduled Arlberg Epxress times do not work. Train on arrival not ideal (does not reach St anton until 2343)

If you land at 1945, I doubt you'll be there that much before 2343 by car. I know ZRH is really quick to get through, but by the time you've picked up the car and driven there I would expect it pretty close to 2300 (2hrs is a bit optimistic, 2hr 15 to 2hr 30 is more like it).

And you can all start the beers on the train.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Turns out EU law states that you can't take a car out of Switzerland into an EU country unless you are an EU national living in that country and you are leaving the car there ... how jolly helpful. Looks like it is the train then
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jesnoid, there was a lot of talk about that on here a few months back but it turned out to be a non-issue (I can't find the thread now but it was fairly long). I took a car from the Swiss side of Geneva airport into France last week and it wasn't a problem at all. Who is saying it's a problem now? It's an easy drive from Zurich to the Arlberg and I'd happily do it again.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @Valkyrie, it is he car rental company telling me it's a problem - I guess they have to fulfill their obligations by saying that!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If anyone can find the thread that @Valkyrie refers to or has any other recent info, most grateful. Can't believe a well-trodden two-hour road trip could cause so much aggro!
ski holidays
The car rental company charged me more to take the car out of Switzerland (zurich to st anton). It wasn't much but just another hidden charges from them😠
ski holidays
I have done the trip a few times, and I used the train. No drama.
latest report
Think there was more than one but try this:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3020667&highlight=car+hire#3020667

It is not a problem.

Can you get a train at that time of night?
ski holidays
I've done the train. Very easy. We left on a day after 6 foot of snow, the weekend of the galtur avalanche and got an apology for the train being 10 mins late. My friends driving had an epic.
latest report
Thanks all - I'll let you know how we get on!
ski holidays
Just picked up this.

Cancel 1st night in St Anton

Book hotel in Zurich

Get first train out to St Anton Friday morning on slopes 10:00

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/dox?ld=std3.a&seqnr=2&ident=1x.041754251.1489010676&profile=C4&co=C1-0&vca
latest report
You could take Stanton's advice and stay at, say, the Easyhotel in Zurich that's walking distance from the station. The 640 train arrives in St. Anton at 0900 and rather than going to St. Jakob, you could put your luggage in lockers at the station (3.50-4.00 Euros each) and then take the free ski bus to St. Jakob after skiing.
latest report
I just got back from a long w/e in Stuben. We were on the EZY 0650hrs out of Gatwick to Zurich. Picked up a Hertz rental car and did the journey in c2hrs probably a bit less, St Anton a bit further on through the tunnel. Buying a vignette was p*ss easy at one of the service stations on the Swiss side, cost about €9 from memory. Annoyingly Satnav took us through the Liechtenstein route on the way back, rather than the St Gallen route which is a quicker and easier drive. We did not spot it until too late. No hidden rental charges for cross border journey.
ski holidays
FYI.

The Austrian Police do like stopping Swiss registered cars..therefore do not be surprised.
ski holidays
Jesnoid wrote:
Turns out EU law states that you can't take a car out of Switzerland into an EU country unless you are an EU national living in that country and you are leaving the car there ... how jolly helpful. Looks like it is the train then

Just for the record - your nationality is irrelevant, whatever the car hire company say. What matters is your place of residence (EU or not).

I'm still amazed there are hire companies that still haven't found a solution to this yet, as many obviously have (I'm guessing some sort of simple declaration on the car papers that they permit driving abroad and that it is the renter's responsibility to return the car to Switzerland)
snow report
GENERAL ADVICE on Getting to St Anton.

Avoid Car travel.

There are to many cars in St Anton. Weekends (changeover days) are a nightmare in & out of Austria.

There is a highly reliable train service (plenty of room for bags) from Innsbruck, Zurich & Germany.

St. Anton am Arlberg station is 3 minutes from the skilifts (It used to be 30 seconds until they moved the railway in 2000) !!

Car are not needed once here. There are Free Skibusses to get you around & down valley.

Tiredness: Late night early morning driving is dangerous.
Especially after either driving 8-10hrs in the car or arriving late in the evening by Air.

There could be snow & for sure black ice on the roads during the night hours. This is when your at your at the end of your journey and the most tired == Dangerous.

Austrain RailJet Service Zurich - St Anton am Arlberg - Innsbruck - Vienna - Budapest

2 hrs Direct Zurich to St Anton there it goes !!

http://youtube.com/v/JGSct2FEqjw
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy