Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites conditions

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know what the conditions and lift/piste situations are like in the Dolomites at the moment?
Thinking of going this weekend (so before Christmas), Alta Badia but hoping to ski the Sella Ronda a few times.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@simonx, There are World Cup races in Alta Badia on Sunday and Monday.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They have some of the most advanced snow making of any resorts so they have a huge area to ski whether natural or man made.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dolomites did not get much snow this week. Poor lower down
The dump is happening in the Northern Alps...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
117 kms open in Val Gardena and Alpe de Suisa today. Another 70 kms open at Neighbouring Alta Badia and 40kms at Arraba. More by next weekend.

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Live-info/Open-lifts
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We’re off there on Sunday too - again. On the basis of the usual sites plus extensive previous experience I am confidently expecting good conditions on piste, but little off piste. The resources (machinery, water, manpower, management etc) they have for snowmaking combine with the naturally cold and dry climate to make this a pretty safe bet. But sssshhhh..... don’t tell too many people! If it’s cold enough - which it is - they will always keep the Sella Ronda open.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all for the info folks snowHead
@rjs - I guess the WC races would restrict access to some slopes, but on the other hand it could mean the resort overall is better prepared for the start of the season, any thoughts on what the impact on other skiers could realistically be?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was watching BBC weather as I read this and they just showed snow coming up from the Adriatic to sit over the Dolomites this week.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
simonx wrote:
Thanks all for the info folks snowHead
@rjs - I guess the WC races would restrict access to some slopes, but on the other hand it could mean the resort overall is better prepared for the start of the season, any thoughts on what the impact on other skiers could realistically be?

Only the Saslong piste is closed. From viewing the webcams last year, you could see other skiers at the top of Ciampinoi skiing down into Selva. Looking at the current view of the Ciampinoi webcam, the catch fencing has been put up, with a space to the side for holiday skiers to descend towards Selva

https://www.valgardena.it/en/webcams/ciampinoi-panocam/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Gran Risa in Alta Badia will also be shut on the 16th and 17th for the GS races. But don’t worry, these closures won’t have an adverse effect on your trip, unless you go to see a race which is a good thing!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BoardieK wrote:
Was watching BBC weather as I read this and they just showed snow coming up from the Adriatic to sit over the Dolomites this week.

I like that weather report. Not sure it ties in with other reports I am seeing but clinging to that straw for now.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BoardieK wrote:

Very strange as on the forecast charts its looking dry until at least the 17th!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Long way to go but Bergfax shows dusting next Monday 17th. Arriving Saturday so fingers crossed...

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/wetter/berg/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just saw it again 1 minute ago on BBC forecast, due on Thursday, caught it all this time.

A front coming in from Genoa moving northeast; snow shown across all the Po Valley and north.

ps where do bbc get their forecasts from?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Cambridge Analytica? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Anybody else caught the Beebs weather yet? Lots of snow from Dolomites into eastern europe thurs through the weekend.
ski holidays
BoardieK wrote:
Anybody else caught the Beebs weather yet? Lots of snow from Dolomites into eastern europe thurs through the weekend.

I think Auntie's map may be a bit too general in this case, there'll be a dusting perhaps in the Dolomites, but the depression looks to skirt to the South and mainly affect the mountains of Croatia & N Bosnia according to these more finely graded maps from Bergfex.

https://www.bergfex.com/schneevorhersage/

Individual forecasts for Arabba are not even putting a figure on the 40% chance of a dusting for tomorrow, but are calling for 8-9cm for Monday and a chance of more next Thurs.

https://www.bergfex.com/arabba/wetter/berg/
ski holidays
Latest 00Z GFS charts also show similar with very light snow accumulations over next week or so...but maybe enough to freshen things up and complement the excellent snowmaking & piste preparation...

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_00_UTC_05Grad/180_24.gif
latest report
BoardieK wrote:
Just saw it again 1 minute ago on BBC forecast, due on Thursday, caught it all this time.

A front coming in from Genoa moving northeast; snow shown across all the Po Valley and north.

Just seen that forecast

Shows a smull clump of snow in the southern half of the PO valley maybe as far up as Verona. But the main area of snow is over Slovernia and Croatia

All charts Im seeing at the minute suggest a dusting on the 17th and maybe a bit more on the 20th/21st and then mainly dry again.

High pressure just seems to keep extending across Spain and SOuthern France and thus blocks any Atlantic moisture getting into the Western Med from where we need lows to form to affect the Dolomites. Just seems to be such a struggle this winter so far.
snow report
Quote:

Meteogroup - primarily using the German ICON model but others too i believe -> "Data Accuracy: We offer ultra-accurate forecasting built on the world’s best weather models, our in-house technologies and value-adding refinements from our skilled meteorologists."

However there are frequently fundamental differences between the MG presented forecasts (WethaerPro etc) and the BBC so who knows...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy