Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Small back pack

Poster: A snowHead
I guess sometime it's just nice to buy a thing (in this case a bag) once and know it'll do anything you might ever want it to. I suppose that's not everyones way, but I quite like ticking the box in fat permanent marker and thinking "done, never need to think about that again".
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I guess sometime it's just nice to buy a thing (in this case a bag) once and know it'll do anything you might ever want it to. I suppose that's not everyones way, but I quite like ticking the box in fat permanent marker and thinking "done, never need to think about that again".

yes - that's my bias too. Let's not kid ourselves that its necessary though!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jjams82, @jedster, Correct, one of the philosophies passed down in my family is "Buy the best you can afford, and you won't regret it".
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jjams82, Isn't that nearly a verbatim quote from fight club..?

"It's just, when you buy furniture, you tell yourself, that's it. That's the last sofa I'm gonna need. Whatever else happens, I've got that sofa problem handled."
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pynch, What "The first rule of small backpacks, is that you don't talk about small backpacks" Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@PowderAdict, shhh

Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Breaking the rule of small backpack club....but, I use one of these Decathlon cycling packs:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-hydration-pack-black-id_8300156.html

V. comfy, no dangling straps and slim enough to wear on lifts. There's enough room for sun cream, face mask, sunglasses, wallet, etc and probably a spare base layer if you don't fill the bladder thing right up (or don't use it). Don't try carrying your skis on it though...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just got an https://www.ortovox.com/uk/shop/backpacks/all-mountain/cross-rider-20/.

Very nice it looks, and just the right size for what I need. When we were given off piste packs on a course in Val we didn't need to take them off on lifts, I suspect the same with this as it has minimal dangly bits. I may even get a bladder for inside it for the Easter trip to complete the look wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Pynch, That's a very good spot indeed... It wasn't intentional!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
IMHO, given the amount of good value to cheap rucksacs/backpacks around, why stress about having just one? Either decide before you go on your trip, given expected plans, or else they don't exactly take up a lot of weight in your flight luggage and you can take a selection and choose between a tiny one for taking little bits on sunny/warm/dry days on piste and a middle-sized or huge(er) one if off piste, needing to take clothing, lots of supplies, shovels, etc, etc. Ditto whether you will need to attach skis for ascents or not (at which point you are in the definitely technical range).
I've survived in all types and weathers/conditons of UK and European mountain up and down activities (OK I am not an off-piste skier, to be fair) for many a decade with basic Decathlon or other brand/source sacs or varying sizes according to need. Odd bit of cutting or adding straps, buckles, loops etc - but then again I'm a bit old-fashioned in my approach, I suppose.

@andyrew, I've been using one for the last 2 or 3 seasons, very useful on the yomp from accommodation to lift base, no hassle at all to undo or put on.
@under a new name, No matter what proper tecnique and your belief as to anatomy and physiology, my particular and peculiar design of bodily parts and its current state of soft tissues cannot carry a set of skis, especially shorter ones, over the shoulder at all without severe pain in all upper back, arm and neck. Hence ski carrier as above - and before that the old pole carry trick, or tuck and carry under arm, which still seems a damn sight more controllable and easy than over your shoulder.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For me I like to buy quality for 2 reasons:
1) A backpack interacts with your spine, shoulders etc... and buying something decent will get you something designed to be sympathetic to those crucial parts of your body, rather than sympathetic to your wallet.
2) A backpack might only cost £10 but it might contain a £400 camera, a £100 pair of sunnies, a £200 pair of goggles, etc etc you get the idea. The zips and buckles used on a cheapo backpack are likely to be of much lower quality than on a properly priced backpack, and if you wind up by losing a £400 camera because you saved £40 on your backpack, the zip broke and it fell out... well that's a false economy.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

For me I like to buy quality for 2 reasons:
1) A backpack interacts with your spine, shoulders etc... and buying something decent will get you something designed to be sympathetic to those crucial parts of your body, rather than sympathetic to your wallet.
2) A backpack might only cost £10 but it might contain a £400 camera, a £100 pair of sunnies, a £200 pair of goggles, etc etc you get the idea. The zips and buckles used on a cheapo backpack are likely to be of much lower quality than on a properly priced backpack, and if you wind up by losing a £400 camera because you saved £40 on your backpack, the zip broke and it fell out... well that's a false economy.

ha ha! Excellent attempt to justify it to yourself!
1) If you were talking about a big pack for heavy loads this would be very important - 20l packs for bits and bobs when you are skiing? Hardly an issue.
2) Lots of cheaper simpler designs have few failure points anyway and can be very robust. It is very difficult to lose something out of a top loading sack for example.
I like nice quality stuff too but I don't bother with all the self-justification

Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Grizzler, I still submit your are doing it wrong then. A ski carrier is still putting the weight on your shoulders.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, some people find that skis on the shoulder restrict blood flow to the arm and that becomes uncomfortable
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FWIW, I bought an older design Reversi from Decathlon a couple of years ago - the one with the magnetic buckle - and while it's a great size with good features, the straps keep coming loose and the fit is pretty naff. It was only £20 so I can't grumble and it's ok for sticking lightweight stuff in but I'm looking for a better one now. I couldn't recommend it in other words.
Better to buy one that has all the size and features you may require in the future as your skiing needs change/evolve, (eg hydration capability or avalanche gear space, that you may not want now but it's funny how your needs change!)
snow report
@jedster, plausible. I don't know enough anatomy to understand why that might happen.

But most people I see are not carrying them correctly/optimally.

Not that you don't know this but...pour les autres...

Tips down, tails up, brakes so that top ski doesn't try to slide off, toe binding resting on shoulder, skis towards vertical not horizontal, arm can then be loosely draped over skis to stop anything going awry.
latest report
Quote:

etter to buy one that has all the size and features you may require in the future as your skiing needs change/evolve

Where's the fun in that? I have a quiver of rucsacs. My wife says my rucsac problem is almost as bad as my jacket one. I aspire to make my ski one equally bad Very Happy
snow conditions
gixxerniknik wrote:
Better to buy one that has all the size and features you may require in the future as your skiing needs change/evolve, (eg hydration capability or avalanche gear space, that you may not want now but it's funny how your needs change!)

I've gone for two as I don't want to always carry a big bag that's suitable for avi gear.
snow report
jedster wrote:

ha ha! Excellent attempt to justify it to yourself!
1) If you were talking about a big pack for heavy loads this would be very important - 20l packs for bits and bobs when you are skiing? Hardly an issue.

I disagree. Lots of back injuries are caused by light loads because people don't take them seriously. The body is remarkably fragile in many ways and assuming that because something isn't heavy it can't hurt you has been many a person's downfall.

Quote:

2) Lots of cheaper simpler designs have few failure points anyway and can be very robust. It is very difficult to lose something out of a top loading sack for example.
I like nice quality stuff too but I don't bother with all the self-justification

Top loading sack is what I like for hardcore use (in the army I did that, because I saw a camelbak motherlode - by all accounts the most popular daysack in Afghanistan - basically explode equipment because the zip jammed) but day to day it's far more practical not to have to get everything out of the top to reach something in the bottom.

It's not 'self-justification' for me. I genuinely only buy good backpacks because I think it's important to protect your body when carrying anything and it's important to protect the contents.
snow report
jedster wrote:
@under a new name, some people find that skis on the shoulder restrict blood flow to the arm and that becomes uncomfortable

I'm with jedster and the other's who've mentioned this. For me, I find when carrying skis over my shoulder that my arm gets tired from holding the position. I find the sharp edges of the ski sat in one spot in my shoulder far less comfortable than a nice padded strap spreading the weight (and a chest strap spreads the load even better). And also, it takes away the use of one of my hands. If I trip over and want to put a hand down, it's easier with the skis secured on my back.

My backpack supports one ski each side, I've used it like this a few times and it's the way forward for carrying skis if you ask me.
snow conditions
@SnoodlesMcFlude, I've gone for two as I don't want to always carry a big bag that's suitable for avi gear.

There speaks the wise
ski holidays
dp wrote:

Totally off topic, but hows the pelvis healing?

All those board base repairs but one held up well btw - though i did rip 'em all out when I got home to get some proper practice doing them myself:D Ta though!
snow report
I'd like to throw another brand into the mix, maybe not strictly a ski pack so could lack some features but very well made and thought out in my experience. Check out Vaude packs. I use an 18l one for piste skiing. I did end up with kit for the group though.
snow report
@under a new name, and others - it's not per se the weight on shoulder, or resulting unequalness in l or r shoulder and neck / upper back musculature (though a problem, even if I carry in hand) but, indeed, the bending and raising of the arm to hook over and steady them. Soz, but my body just won't do that now, thanks to former work and too much computers Sad
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
I went for a Wedze one from Decathlon (not the Reverse, something smaller) £9.99 plus £2 delivery for a little bag that can apparently carry skis, will be interesting to see whether it's actually any good.

My ickle reverse https://www.decathlon.co.uk/one-300-15l-reverse-backpack-black-id_8368522.html can carry skis, much better for walking using poles although as they are fixed in the middle there is a knack to getting them right so I don't kick them as I walk. I thought it might need a waist strap but it doesn't miss it even with skis attached.
I found the size about perfect for what I need, fits two fully stuffed rolls from breakfast Laughing snacks, jumper etc. Especially useful as newer jackets seem to have less pockets and I'm looking to upgrade. Size is also perfect for day walks or cycles on the hills, I have even ran some miles wearing it, so a bargain for the price!

Good point made about body protection, after seeing my mum with a broken back from falling on a chunky old type camera, I will be careful not to load mine with anything solid, except skis externally. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy