Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tranceiver battery life

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@stewart woodward, I did some tranceiver training last week with two different instructors/guides. One said change at 50%, the other at 75%. FWIW, mine seems to lose 1% per day of use.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Scarlet, Which transceiver do you have?

BCA Tracker 1 & 2's seem to have very low consumption, and if any one is concerned about battery costs, the Ortovox 3+ uses a single AA battery.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@PowderAdict, BCA Tracker 2 – takes 3x AAA.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many characteristics are defined by the spec for transceivers:

http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_en/300700_300799/30071801/01.02.01_60/en_30071801v010201p.pdf

spec wrote:
4.2.4 Battery type
The equipment shall use a widely obtained battery type.

4.2.5 Operating time
With a set of batteries as recommended by the applicant, the equipment shall be capable of at least 200 hours of transmitting at a temperature of +10°C and subsequent receiving for 1 hour at a temperature of -10°C, in compliance with the requirements as stated in clauses 8.3 and 9.1.

4.2.6 Battery check
The equipment shall include a battery check feature. A positive check shall indicate the capability of at least 20 hours of transmitting at a temperature of +10°C and subsequent receiving for 1 hour at a temperature of -10°C, in compliance with the requirements as stated in clauses 8.3 and 9.1.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Feck me all these posts about something so simplistic!
Older units consume more power than later models!
So you adjust accordingly.
I'm just back from six big days touring and was doing on average 7hr days put new batteries in at the start and I'm now down to 80%.
Prior to that had same batteries in for all the season and was only down to 65%.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.

There is something seriously wrong with the idea of 20km of extension lead, #ridiculous, what you need is this plus thornyhill's AC/DC converter, simples Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@KenX, rectifier. ffs...I didn't invent it.

I kind of like to idea of 20000 extension leads. I might get some for the car in case I get lost. Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Thornyhill, That's ok, but what happens if you venture 20.1km from home......
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My plan has 0.5% redundancy, so I'll be OK @ 20.1km. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorted then Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy