Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hip Bursitis diagnosed 3 weeks before ski trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well just had Hip bursitis confirmed, which is also causing problems in me knee also. To say I'm devastated is an understatement and I'm trying frantically to plan what I need to do to help repair myself before our first ski holiday in 3 weeks time, with my husband and 4 kids who can all ski. We've booked private tuition for 1st day just to familiarise ourselves with the area then planned to go off skiing on our own. Can anyone tell me if there's anything you can recommend me doing more of??

Recover plan:
Physio has given me excercises that I have to do 3 times a day to help give some relief.
Keep up with antinflamtories and painkillers for next 3 weeks and throughout our 2 week holidays.
Physio has recommended Kinesiology tape to use on my hip and knee
I've made a private appointment with a sports injury dr to have cortisone injection next Wednesday.
Total rest until I go on holidays.

But what's worrying me more is the fact that I'm due to do a snowplough turn to parallel turn 3hr course next week (Ive started doing parallel turns for an hour in last weeks course I did but I need more practise) desperately need to complete this course in order to feel confident enough to fully go off skiing with the family.

Any suggestions???
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rm1982, gosh that sounds mega painful. My Mum had that a few years ago, it's nasty. Can't really offer any advice but I'm sure the sports injury doctor will be able to advise.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't know about hips but I carried a shoulder bursitis for a long time. I had two painful cortisone injections and had an instant recovery. The dr doing the injection a GP said it would work well or not at all. I think they sometimes do the injections with the aid of a scanner these days.
Good luck.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
your GP should be able to do the joint injection mine did, week before we went at xmas worked a treat, in fact its still fine at the moment, the other one need attention now. I found that pills didn't really last, volteral gel does help as well rub it in well.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The "total rest until holiday" and the planned course next week don't seem compatible. Can you not change your plans for once out there to have lessons for say 3 days, to account for the missed course next week. I have never been in your exact situation but I have ended up need knee ops / knee recovery ahead of a skiing holiday and made the choice that I would rather do less and shorter days, than not go at all and cancel via insurance.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I feel for you @rm1982, ! Although most people do make a good recovery a significant few do not. So do take care and don`t overdo things.

Hopefully your physio will have made sure your body is moving as efficiently as possible (I have found osteopaths better at that than physios at that but that may depend on the individual rather than the profession). The steroid injections do help in some cases and up till this year (because last year the 'jabs' no longer helped) I had them before some ski trips.

I found that pacing myself was crucial and not staying in any one position for too long was also beneficial. Sleeping on a good mattress (I have taken my memory foam mattress overlay with me on occasions but unless you are driving thats not normally an option) may help prevent the pain disturbing you at night if you are a side sleeper. Soaking in a hot bath helped me too, or a spa pool.

A physio in the early noughties prescribed a hip support belt to wear under my salopettes but not only was it painful to wear it was awkward in alpine loos Smile and I really don`t think it helped at all.

Eventually a couple of years back we discovered that my bursitis and other associated pain was caused because of damage to the the ligaments that hold everything together in the pelvis/hips. The muscles supporting those areas now have to do much of the work that the ligaments should do. So for me, none load bearing, exercise several times a week to keep the muscles working as efficiently as possible has proved to be helpful though not a cure.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rm1982,
A steroid injection can be very useful for bursitis.
The effect may wear off in a few weeks so do the physio.

Jonathan Bell
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy