Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Haute Route - boot choice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, I'm heading off for the Haute Route this weekend, and having a last minute panic about boot choice. I had been planning to take my trusty Salomon Quest Max BCs, and have changed to sole units to fit pin bindings. I've toured on them with no problems in the past, up to about 2 to 3 hours skinning at a time, but have also read that people really don't recommend freeride boots like this for the HR. but I've obviously left it too late to test 'proper' touring boots. do you think I'd be better off going with the tried and tested (but not ideal) ones, or buying new touring specific boots but not having a chance to break them in..?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd take what you have...and plenty zinc oxide or duct tape and compeed just in case they aren't great for long days of skinning.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MattCee, Go with what you have, you will be carrying extra weight, but you shouldn't be in pain (worst case some blisters), and you know how they ski. The chances of any brand new untried lightweight boot fitting better than your current boots is minimal.

Ideally you would have been on several long tours with the skis/boots you will be using for training. You will almost certainly find the altitude a way bigger issue than the boots.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy