Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lost all confidence

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm new to snowheads and hoping you guys can help me out Sad

Ive skied since about 4 years old, I've comfortably skied blacks & the odd easy off piste, basically no trouble skiing. I took a break from my late teens until last year (25). I ended up with the wrong size boots and my confidence took a knock.

This year Im skiing with parents (experienced skiers) and boyfriend who is on his second year. I thought my confidence would come back, but I've only felt comfortable on easy blues and my skiing ability has got worse through the week.

Yesterday I bottled it on a red and ended up walking down whilst a kind stranger took my skis to the bottom. Boyfriend managed to ski down fine.

Today was even worse. I completely lost it and resorted to snowploughing (which is bloody hard work!) down easy blues that at the beginning of the week I was flying down. For some reason I'm terrified of falling, but that fear is making me ski terribly and even more likely to fall. We've had perfect visibility, beautiful sunshine and yet I've wasted it being a baby.

Tomorrow is our last day and I desperately want to end the holiday on a high, not standing at the top of a flat roadway sobbing because 'it's too steep and I can't do it'.

I considered a private lesson tomorrow morning, but it's expensive and I don't know if they'll tell me anything I don't already know I should be doing..
Any magic tips to get my confidence back?

Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have found a private lesson to be really useful when I've had the wobbles. Which resort are you in? Perhaps someone can recommend a sympathetic instructor
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I have found a private lesson to be really useful when I've had the wobbles. Which resort are you in? Perhaps someone can recommend a sympathetic instructor

+1

In the past when I was learning and also had wobbles I found that you learn a lot more having private lessons plus you focus more on the instructor and learning then worrying about falling etc. Also if you get a good one they can reinforce the basics which ground you and give you focus next time you are on your own and have an on piste melt down.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 as@skim said say where you are and someone may be able to suggest an instructor.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 16-03-17 15:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pink_flamingo, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

There are some highly qualified instructors on here who maybe able to provide better advice, but as a non-instructor who has never seen you ski, it sounds like you have temporarily lost the 'automatic' process of skiing that you built up during your childhood/teenage years.

You mention your boots not fitting, but it is also possible that you have badly tuned skis. There have been a number of posts from experienced skiers, who suddenly found they couldn't ski, after badly serviced skis. So a ski swap might be an option.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The good news is that you still have the talent and ability...it's just become hidden behind a total lack of confidence.

The cure....A Private lesson (as stated above).

It is much better to end your holiday on a high and break the downward spiral you find yourself in. Rest assured, your instructor will have seen a lot worse, will know how to reverse the situation and give you the confidence to do what's necessary to get your Mojo back.

As for the cost....it should be worth every penny. If possible, try to get a native English speaker...but this shouldn't be a deal breaker.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone! I think I'll go for the private lesson tomorrow morning.

I'm in Obertauern, Austria if anyone can recommend an instructor? (I think there are something like 5 ski schools here?!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As above, plus think what your holiday cost - if you finish feeling as you do it will be totally wasted - what's the price of a private lesson against that?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can't remember the name of the guy I had....but you may be able to pull the bones out of these reviews (in the absence of a personal recommendation): https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g190440-d1492247-Reviews-CSA_Skischule_Grillitsch_Partner-Obertauern_Austrian_Alps.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
All of the above, plus take some time to look around you at the wonderful view and smile Smile Smile Smile Smiling makes you ski better. Honest.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Following somebody you trust who isn't your partner/family member can be a good way to rebuild confidence. It might be that in your private lesson the priority is not technical input, but somebody to select the right slopes, the correct speed and line and provide you with an external focus (i.e. following them) rather than an internal focus (e.g. worrying about whether you are snowploughing or not).

Good luck with it. I'm sure you'll get your mojo back.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Pink_flamingo, make sure you tell the instructor that your objective is to regain confidence and enjoy your final day, that way s/he will be able to concentrate on making you feel comfortable rather than pushing your skills. In the days when I hated skiing (long since passed!)one of the things that made me feel even worse was when the instructor said 'you're doing fine, you ski nicely' and pushed me to move onto new things, when I was convinced I couldn't ski at all and just wanted to give up.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sj1608 wrote:
@Pink_flamingo, make sure you tell the instructor that your objective is to regain confidence and enjoy your final day, that way s/he will be able to concentrate on making you feel comfortable rather than pushing your skills. In the days when I hated skiing (long since passed!)one of the things that made me feel even worse was when the instructor said 'you're doing fine, you ski nicely' and pushed me to move onto new things, when I was convinced I couldn't ski at all and just wanted to give up.

And make sure that you GET this type of instructor. Nothing worse in my limited experience (and I'm very prone to losing confidence, never mind just sitting down and bursting into tears) than someone who isn't the right gentle kind encouraging soul for you when you need it. Even if, technically, that's not what you need in their professional experience and training. They may be right, but your perception of what will work for you needs to be taken into account for you to feel comfortable and regain your enjoyment.

Good luck Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pink_flamingo wrote:
Thanks everyone! I think I'll go for the private lesson tomorrow morning.

I'm in Obertauern, Austria if anyone can recommend an instructor? (I think there are something like 5 ski schools here?!)

Only just saw this but try Bettina at Krallinger Ski School. We have had many lessons with her before. She is brilliant!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Been there, got the t shirt. Two holidays ago I gained so much confidence, everything was smooth and effortless. Roll forward 12 months- totally lost it. I cried, was skidoo'd off a run after falling over and watching my ski disappear into the distance (humiliating and dangerous), took skiis off and walked several runs. Nightmare. I think one problem was some of the runs were too easy and I stopped concentrating and had too long to think. The conditions also weren't brilliant. I wish I had had a private lesson or two and definately will do next time. Have a fab last day and relax - you'll be fine. What's Obertauern like by the way?
snow report
@Pink_flamingo, Been there and would also say a private lesson, if no specific instructor recommendation then try all the ski schools, go into each one and tell them what you've told us. The first one that you really feel is listening and understands the issue then book which of their instructors they recommend. If you feel you are just getting a "yeah yeah yeah" and the first name on the list then walk straight back out!
snow report
Thanks so much for your support everyone, it's good to know there are other people who have been in the same boat and have bounced back. Smile

I've booked two hours this morning with David at the CSA ski school, they made a note of my confidence issues and seemed quite sympathetic so we'll see how it goes!

@bambionskiis eek! I hope you managed to get a bit of confidence back before you left! It's got some really lovely runs, lots of nice wide pistes and because it's a bowl you don't have to do the same old top-bottom run at the end of the day. I'd say very advanced skiers might get a little bored, it seems to be mostly red & blue, but there's plenty of runs and it's fairly lively for apres ski. Laughing
latest report
Thanks so much for your support everyone, it's good to know there are other people who have been in the same boat and have bounced back. Smile

I've booked two hours this morning with David at the CSA ski school, they made a note of my confidence issues and seemed quite sympathetic so we'll see how it goes!

@bambionskiis eek! I hope you managed to get a bit of confidence back before you left! It's got some really lovely runs, lots of nice wide pistes and because it's a bowl you don't have to do the same old top-bottom run at the end of the day. I'd say very advanced skiers might get a little bored, it seems to be mostly red & blue, but there's plenty of runs and it's fairly lively for apres ski. Laughing
snow report
@Pink_flamingo,
Quote:

Fantastic let us know how you get on Happy
ski holidays
Well, you lot were right about the lesson! He went through some technique stuff and we went back down the run I lost it on. By the end of the lesson I actually chose a steep red over the blue option Laughing

I actually enjoyed the afternoon and was gutted when it got to lifts closing! So happy I went for a lesson, worth every penny. Phew!

Thanks to you all for your advice, support and personal experiences. Smile
ski holidays
Great stuff....and thanks for getting back. A good ending is always worth hearing about.
ski holidays
@Pink_flamingo, That's a brilliant outcome! snowHead
snow report
@Pink_flamingo, great! Very Happy
snow conditions
@Pink_flamingo, Bravo. Great news. Very Happy
ski holidays
Great, half a bottle of Stroh 80 normally does the same for me wink

Seriously if my skiing isn't coming together I just do a few drills (Pivot Slips, falling leaf, edge jumps, atempt one legged skiing on flat terrain)

This sort of stuff ....

http://youtube.com/v/bYssESAI_Ew

http://youtube.com/v/ZfESM24H2kE

http://youtube.com/v/iUuCWQ_2WOo
latest report
@Pink_flamingo, wooo hoo!! What a fab way to end the week..well done for getting back on the horse as it were Happy
snow report
@Pink_flamingo, that's great news, well done. Now you can start planning for next season....... Happy
ski holidays
@Pink_flamingo, thats terrific.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Really glad you enjoyed the last day so much! So glad it all worked out.

Pink_flamingo wrote:

Thanks to you all for your advice, support and personal experiences. Smile

It's lovely to watch the assistance and encouragement of people on here when it gradually helps to turn someones holiday from a bit of a low to such a high - much the same as Sparklies found when Crystal messed up their accomodation at the last moment!!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy