Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Bargain thread!

Poster: A snowHead
Hmm, this is the jacket I got

http://www.haglofs.com/gb/en-gb/sale/khione-jacket-women/p/603437.html

But I confess that it doesn’t seem easy to find the whole sale category any more... I only ordered last week so seems unlikely it’s finished though.
I’ll see if I can find a link to all the sale stuff.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DaiSki, Good spot on the Oakleys. My other half has been looking at these but couldn't quite get her head around the £140 RRP - so this will do the trick nicely.

Thanks!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@swoafs, sale link for Haglofs here: http://www.haglofs.com/gb/en-gb/sale/c/hg80300000/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yay! Thank you @abj; I looked and looked on Monday but just couldn’t seem to get it to land correctly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@swoafs, @abj, Must have been a glitch, the same search term, 'sale', now brings up 108 items as opposed to 2.

Many thanks.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Norrona Bargain - https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/norr-na/lofoten-gtx-active-sc-1.html

Looks like I just snaffled the last blue one.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whilst looking at avalanche safety stuff, I've come across this site: https://www.snowsafe.co.uk. If you use the code ABS30, you get 30% off.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheap FIS helmet, 82% off

https://www.amazon.de/Atomic-0887445114352-REDSTER-WC-AMID/dp/B0727X8ZSD/ref=sr_1_681?m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1522676071&sr=1-681&refinements=p_6%3AA3JWKAKR8XB7XF&th=1&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Norrøna have added a lot of items to their Outlet Store
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was bargain hunting earlier for a ~100mm all mountain ski for next season and found some good bargains on Ekosport and Sail and Ski. (need to use the FUN15 discount code on the Ekosport site)

Black Crows Daemon for £259.40

Salomon QST 99 for £217.75
If you need the shorter 167cm version, Sail and Ski have them for £265:

(may have just pulled the trigger on the Daemons... Blush )
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheap pieps micro beacon (well cheaper than anywhere else i have found)

https://www.sportsdirect.com/pieps-micro-tranceiver-91-928028?colcode=92802813
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zorrac wrote:

Considering that SailandSki do an Ortovox rescue pack with a transceiver, shovel and probe for £165, I'm not convinced that £203 for just a transceiver is such a spanking deal that it's worthy of this thread.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dp, A pieps micro is the smallest, lightest beacon and super easy to use, it suits someone looking for that sort of thing, so its a bit different to the cheapest effective set you can buy, its normally about £280 hence I thought it may be of interest, are you the bargain monitor?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh sorry I thought you were just going for cheap transceiver

Out of interest why is having a small transceiver sought after? I have a 3+ and have never looked down and wished it were smaller.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Zorrac, thanks for posting, if I was in the market for a new transiever I’d definitely buy it. I’m tempted anyway. @dp, my Pieps DPS sport is a bit bulky. My 3+ is more slim. My primary reason would be comfort. But I think a lot of ski tourers are looking to save weight wherever they can.
ski holidays
@dp, as the @Themasterpiece states minimalist tourers, off piste racers, (can't remember where but once went somewhere with a race up the mountain and then down again in the dark with head torches, la Thuile I think?) people who want smaller! (my daughter for example!) it also has a proximity sensor that auto switches it to send when in its harness or in a pocket, and then switches to search when it is in your hand.
snow report
Zorrac wrote:

Thank you for that, I ve been looking for exactly that one! Great Price.
snow report
@Zorrac, I hope it has a manual switch to do that as well!
snow report
dp wrote:
@Zorrac, I hope it has a manual switch to do that as well!
I don't think it has from what I recall... nice idea but more faff than its worth IMO and solves a problem that really doesn't exist. Apart from failure potential, it would be a total PITA simply doing group checks at the start of the day.
ski holidays
yeah if it doesn't then I'm out basically. I don't like the idea from a point of failure point of view. Relying on a sensor to automatically put you in search mode... I'd rather switch it myself, it's hardly like programming a space rocket.
ski holidays
@dp, found this - http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/Specs_PiepsMicro.asp whilst researching.
snow report
Quote:
The Pieps Micro is unique in that it doesn't have a physical switch or button that allows you to change between searching and transmitting. If you take the transceiver out of its bracket-style harness or out of your pocket (which results in the proximity sensor being uncovered), the Micro automatically changes to search mode.

It's just not a good function, IMO. If you are buried your bleep needs to be bleeping. I don't like the idea of my transceiver deciding for itself whether it ought to be bleeping or not.
latest report
dp wrote:
have never looked down and wished it were smaller.

I have the same problem.
latest report
@dp, There is a description of how it all works at the base of this review

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/avalanche-beacon/pieps-micro

In practice (and you need to do this!) it is easy to use, and my daughter finds it simple, but then again she is 17 and very into tech stuff. I have a mammut beacon, that I find fine, it is basically what you are used to. A friend of hers wanted a micro so hence I was looking.
snow report
Zorrac wrote:
@dp, There is a description of how it all works at the base of this review

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/avalanche-beacon/pieps-micro

In practice (and you need to do this!) it is easy to use, and my daughter finds it simple, but then again she is 17 and very into tech stuff. I have a mammut beacon, that I find fine, it is basically what you are used to. A friend of hers wanted a micro so hence I was looking.

I skied with a guide in Austria who was very keen and showed me all the well thought out functions including group check etc. No doubt size and tech is more suited to younger skiers which is what I am primarily getting them for as well .
latest report
I understand the principle of how a proximity sensor works; I'd just prefer to have a switch that I choose the position of, than a sensor.
latest report
dp wrote:
I understand the principle of how a proximity sensor works; I'd just prefer to have a switch that I choose the position of, than a sensor.
It seems like it solves a problem that doesn't really exist.
snow report
@RichClark, solves a problem which doesn't exist, but also has more potential to create a problem that previously hasn't been there at all. Why you'd invent an item of safety equipment with additional potential to cause it's own problems is beyond me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I need to replace my zoom after I cracked the screen (packing error) and am on the lookout for a Barryvox after using one in VDI last season.
ski holidays
dp wrote:
Oh sorry I thought you were just going for cheap transceiver

Out of interest why is having a small transceiver sought after? I have a 3+ and have never looked down and wished it were smaller.

I sometimes look down and wish it was bigger Happy

Oh sorry I thought this was the innuendo thread Happy
snow conditions
dp wrote:
@RichClark, solves a problem which doesn't exist, but also has more potential to create a problem that previously hasn't been there at all. Why you'd invent an item of safety equipment with additional potential to cause it's own problems is beyond me.

From what I gather the problem is inexperienced transceiver users failing to go to search mode during a rescue search and remaining on send or switching back to send inadvertently; or combination of cold and stress making it impossible for users to physically switch to search (according to said guide who said he personally experience 2nd reason during an avalanche rescue).

My current problem with my new Pieps Micro is that Sports Direct have sent it complete with security tag...
ski holidays
I've got a couple of pre-order offers on at the moment on new 18/19 kit due in the Autumn:

- Scott Backcountry Patrol AP30 avalanche backpacks with the Alpride E1 electric/supercapacitor system. I've got a few left on my pre-order list. There's only a limited quantity coming to the UK so if you want one (at the right price wink) you need to get in quick.

- Salomon Shift bindings. Got a couple of sets left on my pre-order list. Again, there's only a limited quantity coming to the UK.

Offers finish end June. PM me if interested.
latest report
mishmash wrote:

From what I gather the problem is inexperienced transceiver users

I wholeheartedly agree with that - the only thing is the inexperienced transceiver users will also be inexperienced shovel and probe users so by automating the transceiver you're only delaying the fail.

Quote:
or combination of cold and stress making it impossible for users to physically switch to search

So they manage to negotiate the zip on their jacket, then the zip on the transceiver pouch, get it out of the pouch just fine... and then they're stumped by pressing the button on top?

Again, I'm inclined to say that anyone so overcome by cold and stress that they can't put their transceiver into search, (1) needs a helicopter and (2) won't be much use with a probe or shovel either
ski holidays
Tour boots. Probably not quite as bigger saving once you've had them properly fitted. but might help someone.

https://www.sportsdirect.com/scarpa-maestrale-mens-ski-boots-921077?colcode=92107712&utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=retargetingtral
https://www.sportsdirect.com/scarpa-f1-evo-ski-boots-mens-921049?colcode=92104918
https://www.sportsdirect.com/movement-freet-boots-sn61-921259?colcode=92125903
snow report
Sail and Ski have a 50% flash sale on. There's some good prices on skis. Obviously there are limited sizes, as is the norm with out of season sales. But it may worth a look if someone is in the market for new gear. For example they have 2017/18 Head Supershape Titans in 170cm with bindings for £324.99; which is seems pretty cheap.

I haven't checked whether their prices can be beaten elsewhere; I'm just flagging up the fact they have a sale on.
snow report
mishmash wrote:

My current problem with my new Pieps Micro is that Sports Direct have sent it complete with security tag...

My favourite solution is a cutting blade in an angle grinder, just cut through the plastic thingy. Better with the angle grinder in a vice than trying to be accurate the other way round.
ski holidays
Awdbugga wrote:
Sail and Ski have a 50% flash sale on. There's some good prices on skis. Obviously there are limited sizes, as is the norm with out of season sales. But it may worth a look if someone is in the market for new gear. For example they have 2017/18 Head Supershape Titans in 170cm with bindings for £324.99; which is seems pretty cheap.

I haven't checked whether their prices can be beaten elsewhere; I'm just flagging up the fact they have a sale on.

That does look a good deal. Might have a look to see what else is on sale as sadly dont "need" new skis.
snow report
Some good deals at sports direct, just bought a Nevica Vail jacket for £50 list £199(yea right!) But still seems ok
ski holidays
tangowaggon wrote:
Some good deals at sports direct, just bought a Nevica Vail jacket for £50 list £199(yea right!) But still seems ok

Was it the bright orange one by any chance.? (in keeping with your forum name)

I nearly bought the bright orange one, but Mrs Awd veto’d it. Settled on a 20k grey and black one from Dare2B. I was sooo tempted by the orange Nevica one though.
snow conditions
Awdbugga wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:

Was it the bright orange one by any chance.? (in keeping with your forum name)

I nearly bought the bright orange one, but Mrs Awd veto’d it. Settled on a 20k grey and black one from Dare2B. I was sooo tempted by the orange Nevica one though.

Oh yes!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy