Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Repairing ski jackets and pants.

Poster: A snowHead
Random question, what is the best way to repair holes in jackets and pants, soft shell Protest jacket and Soft shell Mountain warehouse pants?. Any useful ideas gratefully accepted.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gore-text patches did the job when my ski slashed open my brand new ski pants. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005T19RQ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Iron-on patch has been in place for 7 years on my pants and is still there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Small holes and nicks: Mcnett Aquasure
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cad99uk, is that not for neoprene only? I have seam coming apart on my gore-tex trousers (sticking, not tear), I can't put a patch over it cos it's next to the venting zip. Was going to see if anywhere in St Anton can help next week, otherwise was going to get McNett Seamgrip Seam Sealant on my return. Any other suggestions welcome.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Make like a park rat and patch it with duct tape.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ouster, yeah.....no.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tenacious tape is great for hard shells, but I don't think it's flexible enough for softshells, though that might depend on the fabric and where the hole is. I just used clear nail varnish on my softshell to stop the hole getting any bigger...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet, nice. Nail varnish doesn't harm the fabric?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dr John, in this case it was fine. I'll admit that the hole is in a non-critical place (on the waistband) and the jacket is 5+ years old. I often use it to stop ladders in base layers too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got a clear version of duct tape from Wilkos and have used it very happily and successfully to fix a few holes on ski pants and jacket (internal on jacket). Took a while to bond most effectively on pants (ending up leaving it under a few heavy books), but now doesn't budge.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@fixx, that's kinda what Tenacious tape is, though it's really really sticky so bonds straightaway. Probably a lot more expensive per m2 than something you can buy in Wilkos though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dr John, Not just for neoprene. I use it for all sorts of fabric repairs, especially gloves.

Mcnett seam sealant is just that. It is a sealant and in my experience does not work well as an adhesive. Aquasure takes 12 hours to go off so I often use UHU to join seams together (10 minute contact) and then Aquasure to cover the seam.

Which reminds I need to do just this on Mrs cad's gloves.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Duct tape, just cut it so no straight edges to catch and lift. Had some on a pair of ski trousers for years before I ditched them. The roll cost peanuts from Walmart Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Repair , mend? Are you mad? This is lifesaving equipment. It is essential you buy new replacements. And replacements for those as redundancy is vital. No outlay on tape or glue needed.
snow conditions
I used the iron on tape for taping seams to fix a big rip in my trousers where they snagged getting off a lift. Worked well, but maybe not the most aesthetically pleasing option.

Might be better if you can stick it to the inside of the fabric...
ski holidays
Another option:

http://www.lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/
ski holidays
+1 for Lancashire Sports Repairs. Did a fantastic job on a pair of my Salomon pants last year.
snow report
I'm a big fan of shoe goo for repairs of all things (even shoes/boots). Great with a patch on fabrics.
snow report
On this subject - does anyone know of any foam safe goop to apply to a small rip in my goggle foam to stop it getting bigger? I'd use the shoe goo but I'm worried it might munch away at the foam or something strange. I never can tell with such materials
snow report
@jjams82, superglue?
snow report
@Scarlet, Bit scared it might dissolve the foam... You tried it?
snow conditions
Should have mentioned - it's on the ventilation foam not the face bit so it's the real thin delicate stuff where one really doesn't want a hole!
snow conditions
@jjams82, I don't know about what will work on foam, but on my old ski pants I used Stormsure - admittedly it wasn't a massive tear but it seemed to survive being snowboarded by you Razz
ski holidays
@motyl, I'm still amazed they fit so perfectly:D
snow conditions
@jjams82, that's cos they were extremely baggy chic on me Laughing
ski holidays
@motyl, Do you know off the top of your head what brand they are? I remember they're size L...

I'm looking at cheap trousers on ebay (ones that aren't white, mine look filthy now!) and so far I only know that one brand and size that'll fit perfectly.
ski holidays
@jjams82, oh they're a few years old now dare2be L 36" - 38"
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@motyl, Excellent, ta:)

Sorry for the thread derailment folks.
snow conditions
@Scarlet, glad to confirm the nail varnish trick worked, hardened the fabric/thread and stopped it getting any worse. Next stage is to get some seam sealant, then try sticking them in the wash.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy