Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheapish Jetforce AirBag - SnowSafe.co.uk

Poster: A snowHead
If anyone is in the market for an electric fan Avalanche Pack, Snow Safe are selling the Black Diamond Saga 40 for under £700 (I know, but the thread is titled cheapish).

Not cheap, but the cheapest one I've seen since last Summer. I've got the Pieps 34 Tour version.

http://www.snowsafe.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=63&products_id=834&utm_campaign=SNOWSAFE+END+OF+SEASON+SALE+2017&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_content=&utm_medium=email
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FWIW I have the 28l on test atm and have been impressed so far. Not much room (the avi tools pocket is huge, but I don't want to put anything extra in there; 'main' pocket is enough unless you want to take a DSLR or similar), but in 4 flights never been questioned or pulled up going through security.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@clarky999, I would say that be Jetforce bags have proper sized Avi Pockets, rather than huge. Most packs I've used struggle to fit a full sized shovel and probe, but the Jetforce ones there obviously designed to take the Black Diamond Evac 7 and 320 carbon probe.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a source for a BD 28l at £540 so may take the plunge.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PowderAdict, I can easily get a pair of skins + goggles (or similar) in the avi tools pocket in addition to shovel & probe; I'd just rather have that space re-distributed to another pocket where it would be more useful.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@GlasgowCyclops, Is that a commercial website source, or someone in the trade? The lowest price I've seen was the £629 I paid for my Pieps last summer.

@clarky999, Maybe the Jetforce has a different sized tool pocket to the Pieps versions.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just bought mine form Tiso in Glasgow. BD 28L in sale at £540 but as a OE card holder I get an extra 10% of sale price. £486 Happy

Although 28L it is about 20 packable space I'd guess so perfect. I'll give more details on packability later but not on how it works. You tube is full of people pulling their toggle on that. Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clarky999, When you've done with it I'm in the market mate, after we left you in IBK we got our ABS canisters taken by security and its 70€ to get them bailed. Don't need that nonsense....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@GlasgowCyclops, Nothing on their website, so I guess in store only. Excellent price though Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Markymark29, I've got a Pieps Jetforce Tour Rider 24 in S/M Black and red, that I'm looking to sell, as I've now bought the larger Tour Pro 34. Not sure if the 24Ltr size is of any use to you?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Markymark29, unfortunately I have to give it back in a few weeks Sad

Had similar problems with cartridges at Zurich before - you'd think ski destination airports would know how to handle them by now! Let me know if I can help though - I'm in the UK atm but when back in IBK I can go and get them and keep hold of them until the next time you're out if that helps?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quick question - realistically how heavy do the Jetforce packs feel on your back compared to the 'light' compressed gas packs? Is the weight as much as a problem as the reviews make out? Would it put you off buying again?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PowderAdict wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, Nothing on their website, so I guess in store only. Excellent price though Very Happy

Nope, nothing on their set but i was in and asked. They had them in their Perth shop and had it sent.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
capability wrote:
Quick question - realistically how heavy do the Jetforce packs feel on your back compared to the 'light' compressed gas packs? Is the weight as much as a problem as the reviews make out? Would it put you off buying again?

Compared to other packs I did feel it was slightly heavier than PaulC's 24l Ortovox. Note, I have never compared side by side. BUT Happy the bag is so comfortable that I'm sure it is worth it and once all the kit is inside it is not so noticeable.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It is there but listed as out of stock:
http://www.tiso.com/tiso-blkd-1127265/black-diamond-equipment-halo-28-jetforce-fire-red-tiso-blkd-1127265

Great price and I would definately have been tempted when I was looking if it cost that then. Weight did put me off a bit as well though. I sold my Salewa ABS pack as it weighed a similar 3.5kg with the carbon cartridge and nothing in it. 5-6kg when loaded with shovel/probe/snack etc even if they were light. Weight was all out the back as well. Ended up getting the Mammut PAS system as my 30L pack with carbon cartridge weighs 2.1kg and a lot of the weight of the airbag is distributed across the shoulders with the airbag design. Also interchangable so a weak moment on Ebay left me with a 15L pack as well which is a similar weight.

@capability, I will have it at the EOSB if you are there and want to try/compare
snow conditions
Has you still got the Pieps Jetforce back pack to sell? @PowderAdict, kinda fishing but maybe not at the right price snowHead
ski holidays
@PowderAdict, beenative reminded me not been back to you. I've decided i'm going to stay with ABS and leave the canisters out in resort. I recently got mine confiscated at Munich and they want 70€ to post to me, I'm going to push for it back from Lufthansa but its a faff. I can't afford to go Jetforce just now but ideally that's the way I think - I also want to see how the tech evolves.
snow conditions
Which airbag backpacks have a concealed hydration tube through the shoulder strap? Only one's I've seen have external loops only.
ski holidays
@Dr John, My ortovox ABS pack has a concealed hydration tube, either side, as you can swap sides for the activation thing
ski holidays
@Dr John, Scott also
snow report
@Dr John, Mammut too
latest report
@beenative, Sorry, missed your post. My Pieps Tour 24 is still for sale. PM me if you are interested.
snow report
@Markymark29, With all the investment involved, l'm fairly sure that Black Diamond and Arcteryx aren't going to be releasing new packs every couple of years. They also need to protect the early adopters, as no one wants to see their £700-800 investment made obsoleted the following year.

With battery technology advancing rapidly, the packs will get lighter (also see Lou's half sized battery on WildSnow). But the requirement to extract all the air for inflation through the walls of the pack (rather than only 50% with the gas packs), does restrict what they can do with the design.
snow report
@AndAnotherThing.., @clarky999, Lovely, thanks.

@Zorrac, which version is that? Then ones I've loved at only have external loops.
snow conditions
PowderAdict wrote:
@Markymark29, With all the investment involved, l'm fairly sure that Black Diamond and Arcteryx aren't going to be releasing new packs every couple of years. They also need to protect the early adopters, as no one wants to see their £700-800 investment made obsoleted the following year.

Why? They are consumer products companies so why would they not be refreshing their range every couple of years? & why "protect" early adopters? Their packs will still work. It's not a secret that buying early in a product's lifecycle often means you are paying top dollar for something that is going to be improved and the price drop over time as volume sales kick in.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, You said it better than me! wink
ski holidays
Of course I don't believe that there is much of a volume market in airbag packs which is why the price remains high for the same reason that transceivers if they were a ubitiquitous consumer electronic would be a lot cheaper. The market like many outdoor sports is I suspect selling upgraded kit to people who already have them.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Ok, maybe "Protect" was the wrong word, how about give confidence that they got it right and are backing the design.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dr John, freeride 24 abs
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy