Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nose Bleeds at Altitude?

Poster: A snowHead
Is it just me ?
Nasty subject to talk about but ...
Blocked sinus's or sinii if that's the name for them with bloody bogies.

I seem to get this problem only on ski holidays.

Is it the altitude?
Or is it the very dry environment as the moisture is frozen out of the air?
Or is it just the excitement.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My daughter gets terrible nose bleeds on ski trips.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DrLawn, it is common.
Try Googling Nose Bleeds Altitude for lots of fun reading.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, I get this............

However I think 90% was down to taking Ibuprofen.

BUT I also get them on VERY hot days (but only a small amount) so it MIGHT be something down to high pressure as well
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I get slow nose bleeds during the night on ski trips if the mornings evidence is anything to go by! And did get them worse whilst taking Ibuprofen for a cracked rib in St. Anton, but never made the connection?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went to Sante Fe once in January; it is a desert and very cold and dry with temperatures of -20 and RH pretty close to zero. You could easily tell who was not a native by the little dribble of blood from their nose
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I get them. They don't bother me any more - much worse things that could happen. Perfect snottie conditions are very cold and dry e.g. Colorado (skiing) or very hot and dry e.g. Colorado (Mesa Verde) and of course altitude. I get them too in the Alps but not as much. I suspect this because it is a little more humid - however, dusty mountain refuges or overheated dried out chalets can, and indeed sometimes do, counteract this.
Once snottie conditions were so perfect in Colorado I produced a perfect nosecast and brought it home to Bilghty for my partner (saved buying a present Twisted Evil )
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use Naseptin if I start getting them. It's prescription only in the UK but it works sonders.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have had nosebleeds on ski holidays for more than 40 years. Still alive and still skiing...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have had minor nosebleeds on almost every skiing holiday for 40 years now.

Possibly a little worse now as I am on a regime of blood thinners.

IMHO nothing to worry about as long as they are minor.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It is a big problem. We have to throw away 4 to 5 pillows each season from our apartment. Thank goodness for IKEA
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Seems widespread.
Gives a whole new perspective to red runs... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DrLawn wrote:
Is it just me ?

Not just you....seems like a lot of people suffer. I worked with a brickie once who had the view that you should keep laying more courses until the wall was finished or you get a nose bleed.

I used to suffer from frequent nose bleeds. BIL is a vet and gave me some silver nitrate sticks. You just wet the end and shove it up your nose. Bleeding stops in seconds. Stings a bit to be honest. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://fauquierent.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/how-does-silver-nitrate-cauterize.html
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's very simple really. The air pressure lessens the higher you go. As your nose has some very small blood vessels very close to the surface, it is often the case that they will 'burst'. Perfectly normal. As you become more acclimatised the vessels adapt. Only way to avoid it, stay at or close to sea level. That doe's mean of course that skiing will be off the agenda!
snow report
My daughter had chemical cauterisation for a nose bleed that just wouldn't stop whilst at altitude in Utah. The $500 invoice chased us for ages...
ski holidays
emwmarine wrote:
It is a big problem. We have to throw away 4 to 5 pillows each season from our apartment. Thank goodness for IKEA

Wow. I don't recall the last time we had to throw away a pillow (or case) due blood - and we max out at 20 beds...
snow conditions
A little Vaseline up each nostril every morning works wonders
snow report
skilegs wrote:
A little Vaseline up each nostril every morning works wonders

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
snow conditions
my wife gets a lot of nose bleeds, especially if she tells me to stop drinking and come home Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Thanks guys ...
So it looks like its pretty common.

Its not a big problem, just embarrassing getting blood on towels etc.
Or worse still when nasal mining.
snow report
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
It's very simple really. The air pressure lessens the higher you go. As your nose has some very small blood vessels very close to the surface, it is often the case that they will 'burst'. Perfectly normal. As you become more acclimatised the vessels adapt. Only way to avoid it, stay at or close to sea level. That doe's mean of course that skiing will be off the agenda!

Staying near sea level needn't mean skiing is off the agenda....

http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resorts/england/sorted/altitude-difference/
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
emwmarine wrote:

Wow. I don't recall the last time we had to throw away a pillow (or case) due blood - and we max out at 20 beds...

Maybe it's due to sleeping at 2300?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy