Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

AC Joint Injury

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of AC joint injury and rehab.

On 4th January I went for a bike ride; road bike for safety reasons. I hit a patch of ice on a bend (knew not to try and break the fall with my hand) and landed it on my shoulder.

I've done a couple of ski trips since, a fair few bike rides and have tried to do gym work; but it still hurts like buggery when lifting overhead/bench press etc. To annoy me even more, yesterday I played golf and today it's REALLY stiff.

So a few Q's; what sort of time does it take to get better and is there any exercise I should be avoiding or doing.

Cheers peeps
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it hurts like mad when doing shoulder or bench press then your body is telling you that it isn't ready yet. That and biking, transferring weight through the shoulder, is putting the damaged ligaments under load. It can be a nasty injury if high grade, and thrashing it will do you no favours.

That said, over 3.5 months is a long time. Did you have a scan or xray?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nah, self diagnosed and then confirmed with Dr Google. I don't like wasting NHS time/money. Also spoke to a mate who's a physio and he agreed with me.

It is gradually getting better, but as you say it seems to be going on a bit.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I struggled with similar a few years ago for about 6 months all told, plenty of physio, light exercise, but tried acupuncture towards the end, and that seemed to make a big difference.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got one, mine was coming off a mountain rather than road bike. Acupuncture and physio worked for me too. Now do yoga regularly to keep it and everything else moving. Took a long time to stop being painful. Shoulder joints are complicated -- I'd go see a good sports physio and see what they say.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Acupuncture?

I'd rather stick needles in my.................oh, hang on!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I separated my AC joint last Monday after a bad 'off' on the mountain bike. Hurts like hell as well as my ribs.

Seeing a Physio a week today so will what they say about it. No doubt as its NHS I'll only get one session.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc wrote:
Nah, self diagnosed and then confirmed with Dr Google. I don't like wasting NHS time/money. Also spoke to a mate who's a physio and he agreed with me.

It is gradually getting better, but as you say it seems to be going on a bit.

Hmmm, that might be your problem.

I've no problem with people googling to try and learn more about a problem but
google is just information: beyond that there is knowledge then wisdom to consider before arriving at a decision on how best to treat.

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did exactly the same around New Year - ice on a bend. Saw GP and had an X-ray the next day, there was no fracture or separation. The joint hurt quite a bit, and interfered with sleeping. I skied in February, and it didn't bother me, except maybe when grabbing a T-bar/button with that arm. At first, it seemed to be gradually easing, but I eventually went to an orthopaedic/sports physio, with a special interest in shoulders. He had a good look, and prescribed anti-inflammatories and a set of exercises using 2kg hand weights to strengthen all round the shoulder. I think his advice was good and the shoulder is definitely on the mend. I wouldn't have done this without being told to - that's what I paid him for! Incidentally, he said I shouldn't need to go back unless there were problems, so I've paid for 1 session and that's it. Oh and £10 for some weights off eBay.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@caughtanedge, is it still sore now?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc wrote:
@caughtanedge, is it still sore now?

Just about gone - I only really notice it if I'm doing work that involves that shoulder. Also I don't notice it at night - I guess the ibuprofen at 10pm helps with that.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mosha Marc, What grade is the serparation? I had a shoulder lockdown done on my grade IV at the beginniing of Jan and now it is fine. Before the op any pressing down with the arms hurt, mantleshelves in particular were almost impossible. Now just the long process of building up strength again.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did some damage to my shoulder joint in early 2015, tried rest and physio and acupuncture plus lots of rehab stuff - all to no avail. In the end I had an MRI and was diagnosed with a small tear. I was seen by the excellent Prof Jonathan Rees in Oxford. He suggested that the injury was so small that surgery might well make it worse and suggested I try an ultrasound guided cortisone injection. Since the injection, over a year ago, I've had no issues and was instantly fixed - I can't offer any explanation but the result has been amazing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mosha Marc, I'm with @Jonathan Bell, on this. Go and see your GP. You might need an x-ray, scan, or just a quick injection.

Oh, and forget about rule 5 and drink more melezes wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Chamcham, quite right too. I've got an appointment next Friday, I just seed to source a bottle now Laughing
snow report
Seen the Doc. She says I guessed it right and to MTFU. I love it when you know your GP's Laughing
snow report
@Mosha Marc, there's a school of thought that says there's no need to scan painful shoulders because the scan won't provide any information that isn't already obvious, and the results of the scan won't change the management of the problem. That's OK in someone who's inactive/elderly/has poor expectation of successful rehab, but it's not great for someone who is young, active and wants to regain full function. It's a long time after your injury to still be getting pain, and it's possible that you've torn a ligament (rotator cuff) which needs repair. If the pain's not settling, I'd go back and ask your GP for and ultrasound scan. Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy