Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello fellow snowheads,

Dont know if this is the right forum, so move it if you have to. Basically, thinking about doing a ski season as a chalet host, and looking for any advice on the best companies out there and ones to avoid.

Also, whats the likelihood of finding a job out in the states or Canada?

Cheers

Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 31-05-17 22:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@howie19, Welcome to Snowheads. Can't help with your query but can you add the missing letter to the thread title please wink Laughing Laughing

Good luck with organising your season Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@halfhand, didn't even notice rolling eyes Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@howie19, Son#2 worked for SkiWorld. Treated him very well and he had a great season. He was a kp/np. Less responsibility than a chalet host and plenty of mountain time.

If you are young then being a solo chalet host can be quite onerous. To be a chalet host you will need to be a good cook already.

Good luck with getting something organised. Now is the time for the 17/18 season.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey!

Tell us a bit more about yourself for better advice. Age, career stage, skills, experience, languages.

Do you especially want to be a chalet host, or do you just want a job in the Alps?

Chances of getting a job as a host in USA/Canada as a first time season worker would generally be 0. However, the working holiday visas have become very hard to get recently, so if you're somehow entitled to work in those countries then you've got more than a good chance I'd say.

More info needed!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I went and did it aged 40. Worked for Silverski. Chalet jobs tend to be where the chalets are-so mostly France, a few in Switzerland and a few in the Brit heavy austrian resorts like St Anton. Not much if anything like that in the US/Canada unless you are really lucky.

The pay is cr*p and the work is hard. You do get to ski though! My experience was good, mostly. Not sure how Silverski are doing these days. Look like they are not quite the force they were in middle market ski companies.
I think so much depends on which resort you are in, who the local resort managers are, and who you are working with. Smaller more boutique operators tend to want more experienced types and the punters have higher expectations, which means more work and more sycophancy required from you!
Middle market middle sized companies may be a better bet. Depending on you age, you may feel more at home with those who look for staff aged 21 or over. Silverski were positively enthusiastic for older types as they tend to stick around, manage not to get too boozed up every night with their fellow Gap Yaah chums, and the guests tend to like them.
if you can't cook, best avoid that job. Depending on who you work for, you will have to cook set menu (boring for a good cook), or create one yourself and work within a budget.
I have had too many rubbish chalet meals from terrible cooks over the years as a guest to advise you do a 4 week course and think that sets you up for the season.
Still...am very jealous!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy