Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2017/2018 (Mud Season May/June))

Poster: A snowHead
New Accommodations in Warth

http://www.warthsap.at/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Ah, and NO Olympics in Innsbruck/Tirol now, if anyone hasn't heard

@clarky999, A lot of the locals thought this was nailed on even though they didn't all want it, and tbph so did I. There'd been some serious lobbying going on.

IMO its a good thing - the resorts are packed anyway so OK they'd enjoy a load of media/ team/ business types all on expenses and throwing money about but most skiers would go elsewhere and leave well alone, I certainly would have. I was there once for Interski and it was a horrible atmosphere, it'd be 5x worse in Olympic towns I reckon. The dodgy late night bars would be moving in and all manner of price hikes etc. I'm pretty pleased, leave the Olympics to the far east and Russia and them get on with it via their corruption fed egos', its a spent idealogy anyway, they're all professionals (or at least anyone who'se going to be in the limelight is).....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Markymark29, I agree it would have put me off as well.
I’m glad.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29, agreed!

The stats break down was quite interesting. I think the city was generally about 70% NO, while some of the ski resorts were much more positive (I think St Anton voted 85% YES).

Personally I was fairly ambivalent but leaning towards no. The few weeks they were on would have been fun for sure, but I can do without all the extra crowds and faff the rest of the season.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
During the last World Championships held in St Anton..Some houses were renting there places out at vastly inflated prices (100K+) to Teams, Sponsors, Retailers, Manufactures etc.

Of course they were going to Vote 85% for that kind of guaranteed two weeks income Happy

Volkl Ski paid 6 figures to one house for a room just to tune skis (no accom)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Markymark29, Agreed. Good outcome from my perspective.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For the WC2001, originally Lech would also take part. But then the Lech people voted no.
To me, St.Anton and St.Christoph have become less and less attractive because of all this macho-infrastructure and architecture being build over the years. Both Anton and Christoph used to be very charming villages, but have changed into ugly, generic ski-industry towns. Especially St.Christoph is a disgrace compared to the magic place it was before 2000.
Lech is unchanged, but still succesfull.
(St.Anton+Lech also were candidate for WC2023. Lost that to Saalbach. Good news again!)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Langerzug, Agree
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Langerzug, glad to hear about WC2023.

Some of the newer apartments in St Anton, especially at the west end of the village, are depressingly bland. Those above Ōst Terminal are not much better.

Where we stay in Nassereinerstraße felt like “country” up to 3 or 4 years. Now built out, and many of the houses have turned into TO chalets. It now takes two Linie 4 buses to service what was a quiet corner.

Yes, it has lost a lot of charm. Change might be inevitable, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it all of it!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 19-10-17 8:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Langerzug, I agree in respect of the quality of some of the recent architecture in St Anton, places like Arlmont, Anthonys, Vaya Resort etc imo don't do the place justice, however I think this needs to be seen in context that the town has not previously had enough beds to meet demand, and I guess the planners have taken a view that development needs to happen and the cost to construct these places will be significantly less that say places like Hotel Post and other traditional classics.

Quite what they'll look like in 25 years time is another matter.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Actually, Anthonys does much more for the integrity of the village than you give it credit. it reinforces the narrow street pattern
typical of many traditional alpine towns. The post with its large set back completely breaks this pattern and diminishes the quality of the village feel
completely. As I remember ,the pomodoro and funky chicken, that preceded "Anthonys" was quite set back from the street and added little or
nothing to the fabric of the village. i applaud the new architecture as there is more than enough "Kitch" in Austria to last 10 lifetimes!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mcg, That "kitch" goes back 500+ years (evidenced by eg Haus Gfall in Bach if you take a wander beyond the high street, so well beyond 10+ generations) and that style is part of the fabric of the Tyrol, it's what most people like about Austria and sits aside the gemuetlichkeit (google it), ie the fact that it doesn't look like Bracknell town centre....imo Anthonys is a really good functional building and does its job (great food and i'm sure the rooms are equally good), however it, and others of the same genre just don't sit right imo, however its subjective clearly. Please take a look at Galzigbistobar building and its sister hotel above - that is a 3 year old building which sits perfectly well alongside the old, as do many others that have been sympathetically built to reflect the old style, with new inners, they cost more but these guys are locals and respect the Tyrol architecture and culture. wink (not saying the others don't btw, their buildings are just different)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That building is a complete pastiche of anything traditionally Tirolean. Maybe doesn't quite achieve Kitsch( by the way google it) Status (apologies, correct spelling this time) but
at least it defines the street to the north east that leads up to the Galzigbahn. Old mountain houses had little or no balconies and stood on small footprints. What you seem to be calling traditional is only an evolution of a pastiche developed when tourism began to flourish. So unfortunately Galzigbistobar the building is of no inherent quality
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We'll agree to differ then.....i'll leave you this, the museum (current use) building built in 1912, not Kitsch in my view and it has balconys too.

https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/the-region/history-museum

Nobody more than myself likes minimalist architecture, done well its brilliant, done on a budget and not complementing its surroundings it isn't.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I said this every season since 2001 when they realignned the Railway.

St Anton lost its soul & one of its greatest Apres ski Bars

http://youtube.com/v/3e2cJyx6PbI
ski holidays
A couple of years ago they built a horrible multi story car park in ischgl so It’s perhaps not surprising that there are some urban horrors going up in St Anton.
snow conditions
@Peter S, which is landscaped in a way which means it is not really visible from most views. Have you actually been there?
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/Q5lRa6y0nUc
snow conditions
@stanton, my favourite mtb climb, lunch and descent! Cool

I've not done the part across Kartellsee though!😜
snow report
snow report
Lech

snow report
@stanton, Great photo.....not long now!
snow conditions
The new Restaurant at the top of Trittkopfbahn

is called the BBQ Station
latest report
BBQ Station...oh dear. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
some nice snow fotos

https://www.wetteronline.de/fotostrecken/2017-10-23-wa
latest report
Beautiful
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/hND1Usljc24
ski holidays
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shady side of St Christoph was skiing pretty good today. Everything over the other side from Galzig was already cooked by ~10am.
snow report
@clarky999, Just don't....even.... think.... about photos! wink
ski holidays
that photo looks better than when i went in march
ski holidays
Stormy weather from Sunday. Snow above 1000Metres Very windy
snow conditions
Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
World Snow Award 2017

RESORT OF THE YEAR:

1. Ski Arlberg
2. Megève
3. Méribel
4. Obergurgl-Hochgurgl
5. Revelstoke Mountain Resort
6. Saas Fee
7. Val d’Isère
8. Whistler Blackcomb
snow conditions
Sunday

Now Snowing up higher freeze level will fall tonight ..
ski holidays
ski holidays
Some news here on the Projekt Dias (Rendl/ Kappl Link)

Still in the court in Wien

http://www.tt.com/politik/landespolitik/13587630-91/langes-warten-aufurteil-zu-skischaukel.csp
latest report
Arlberg Ranked No1.. No surprise really

https://www.skigebiete-test.de/skimagazin/top-10-die-weltbesten-skigebiete.htm
snow conditions
Snow down to 1300Metres Sunday/Monday.
snow report
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy