Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2017/2018 (Mud Season May/June))

Poster: A snowHead
@Steilhang, Its east of the Zurich taxi rank though..... Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Markymark29, true. I had forgotten about that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rendl today was rather lovely first thing........ an inch of new slush on top of well groomed pistes. Top of Riffelbahn 2 was "scraping" on the way down. 5 and 6 were well decent end of season skiing, possibly best all week.

Sadly back to UK first thing tomorrow. Skis already waxed for next season. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thinking of having a cheeky weekend from Friday, anyone know what will be open in town? I know that a lot will be closed, but I guess with the race on Saturday there will still be plenty of places for a drink and a bite? Also, I’m right in thinking Sunday is last day of skiing?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SteveKirby, Sunday 22nd is the last day yes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@SteveKirby, You might be better off in Ischgl, that should be mostly open next weekend. That said a quick look at the webcam suggested it was 30 degrees in the village! I suspect a minor malfunction but no doubt it is very warm and the forecast is more warm spring weather, the forecast is 25 degrees in Munich for the end of the week. From what was said here earlier most of the bars etc are closing this weekend in St Anton.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @munich_irish, Ischgl might be a good call
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Der Weiße Rausch this Saturday April 21st. 17:00 local time

Live online !

All lifts close for the season Sunday 16:30.

Blood rain red sky phenomenon until Tueday
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not to bad for 2nd Week in April

fotos over here

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=58280&start=200
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stanton, Looks great.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dare I say it but the week after closing temperature is dropping & a low front expect..

Roll on the PoW !
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stanton, Get your skins out
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not too shabby.
https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/de/service/webcams

Maybe a sneaky last day?!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Question is, should I get up at 05:30 on Saturday morning, spend best part of 3 hours in a car, spend the day skiing on empty pistes (though with the race and the forecast tropical temperatures it might not be so good) then 3 hours back or get up normal time, 3 hours or so on the bike looking at the mountains before spending a few hours in a beer garden? Great shame I have to work all week until Friday.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you get up at 05:30 you can make it down there in 2H15!

Maybe not entirely legally.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, go for it, last day. Stay over and drink beers there, great atmosphere. Went 5 years ago and would love to do the race but not practical from uk, from Munich you ought to go.
snow conditions
Take the train--
latest report
Prefer taking the train but not an option here, I dont get back to Munich from Amsterdam until lateish Friday evening. The drive can be done in 2.5 hours but you have to be very careful with speeds in Austria, they have become very keen on enforcing the speed limits and you can even get charged with an environmental crime! Best option is a German hire car with a UK licence as the Austrian courts dont seem to be able to chase up UK drivers (or at least those with UK licences where ever they might live though that, like much else, is probably only relevant until March 2019). I suspect the effort and cost mean the Bier garden rather a season ending trip to the snow Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
@munich_irish, No speed restrictions over to Garmisch and over Fern Pass before the traffic, you'll be there by 9am and ski until 15.30-16.00. Watch the Weisse Rausch finish and afterwards bier garden in St Anton, band in town and cheap B&B overnight sounds like a proper weekend to me.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, does sound good. Toying with the idea...
snow conditions
Live Saturday

https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/events/der-weisse-rausch-2018-live
latest report
More fantastic fotos over here...

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=58280&start=200#p5160527
snow conditions
@Markymark29, Got a speeding ticket going through Oberau a few years back, early in the morning, no one around. If there is no traffic it is not a bad drive and the bakers is open early in Garmisch for breakfast. It still adds up to a lot of driving in a day. The weather forecast suggests 27 degrees in St Anton on Friday and not quite so hot but thunderstorms on Saturday, that is typical summer weather not spring. Even high up the snow will be shot very quickly, too much effort for a hour or two. I also notice that day by day more lifts and runs are closing, not sure what will still be open. Shame last weekend was not possible. Will be very hot for the race competitors, wonder if anyone will go with shorts Smile
latest report
Arberg regulars - I'm looking for some advice for a friend of mine ... which ski schools would you recommend for kid lessons?

Their 11Y old is a strong skier (he is very confident on blacks) and their 8Y old is comfortable down most reds (he just needs to work on his technique).

I know that New Generation are now in St Anton - they and we have used them / have been pleased with them in a couple of the big French resorts. I think they'd rather use a local outfit though - any thoughts?

@munich_irish, you've given me some great advice on my "Where In Austria" thread BUT it looks like we might be joining our friends in St Anton now ... Kitz and the Ski Welt might have to wait another year ...

Thanks everyone.
snow report
@franga, Arlberg ski school, the local ski school or ski alpin classic are the most commonly seen ones. Like most ski schools it clearly depends on the instructor and you see lots of kids groups with younger foreign instructors rather than locals. Personally if it was me i'd rather ski with locals than seasonnaires who don't know the area as well. For this reason and the fact that many are ex Arlberg ski school and more experienced i'd be tempted to go with classic. Ask for Andi Rauch, good local guy. Not cheap though but like most things you get what you pay for, small groups and more 1:1 instruction.
snow report
@munich_irish, Yes it is limited operations but that is clearly stated (last week) on the 2017/18 Lift Prices.
snow report
@franga, are they after group lessons or private lessons for the kids? If it's groups then it's either New Gen or Arlberg
snow report
Approx 800 new Beds

Serious amount of Money being pumped into Schrocken with the coming of the New Gondola Access

http://www.vol.at/13-fakten-zum-200-millionen-projekt-in-schroecken/5751774

New developments also in Warth
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
latest report
Thanks @Markymark29 and @Sitter - definitely group lessons ... I've sent inquiries to both. Thanks for your help.

Side question - how long does it normally take to head over to Lech, do a couple of hours over there and head back. Is it doable in a morning or is it a full day trip? What about Warth?

Thanks
latest report
@franga, St.Anton-Lech-St.Anton is a day trip for most people. Can be a nervous one if you like a nice lunch and/or you're encountering queues....
By the way, your 8 year old does not need to work on his technique. He needs to PLAY. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 20-04-18 12:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@franga, personally I would choose the Arlberg every time but there are plenty of other good places too but if your kids are reasonably confident then I am sure they will have a great time. Problem could be everywhere else can seem tame by comparison afterwards.

As to trips to Lech, it is perfectly possible to be in Oberlech starting in St Anton by 11:00, even earlier if you ski fast or take the early bus from St Anton to Zürs. So lunching in Lech should be no issue. Personally I think St Anton - Warth (including reasonably leisurely lunch stop) then back is perhaps pushing it a bit unless you are happy going fast and perhaps avoiding some of the more interesting diversions. It is pretty easy to get back from Zürs (even Lech) after the lifts have closed using the postbus or if there is a group a taxi is not too expensive
snow report
It is not perfectly possible to be in Oberlech at 11.00 in high season by a Arlberg-novice without bus.
Isn't funny (or is it irritating?) that post-Flexenbahn we are talking bus St.Anton-Lech again? WTF!
ski holidays
@stanton, perhaps the avalanche commission were correct to be cautious?
ski holidays
@Langerzug, I thought that might elicit a comment Smile Even without the bus getting to Oberlech by 11:00 is no big stress, of course you need to be going first thing but getting the Zürs for 09:45 is hardly difficult. Another 1.15 hours from there to Oberlech hardly requires Franz Klammer style descending. As you know the bus thing is only for those who are very keen to start early in Zürs whilst staying in St Anton or ski instructors, for most folk it is not something to worry about.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, You get Avakanches in Steissbachtal always at this time of the season. It looks worse because they have no been blasting so there is a lot of this seasons snow coming down which would of already been blasted during the season.
snow report
Langerzug wrote:
It is not perfectly possible to be in Oberlech at 11.00 in high season by a Arlberg-novice without bus.
Isn't funny (or is it irritating?) that post-Flexenbahn we are talking bus St.Anton-Lech again? WTF!
We went over to Zürs on the Flexenbahn on Easter Monday, when St.Anton was crawling. Practically no wait at all. I think there may be some novelty factor at work here as well which accounts for the insane queues at the beginning of the season. Hopefully so.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/syRu7f_O85k
snow report
That is a wrap for this season bring on the spring May POW !
snow report
Everyone has cleared out of town..

It is raining hard this morning..Snowing very high up
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy