Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2017/2018 (Mud Season May/June))

Poster: A snowHead
The lightning was interesting.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like storm Eleanor is doing its thing for 3 Koenigs Woche, is there much open or it just one of those weeks that is a pain and you know its going to be amazing as soon as you haul out of town and super quiet next week to boot? Looks like Galzigbahn is closed today too.....

We had such a great time 27 Dec - 02 January, a couple of overcast days, but 29th was probably in out top 5 Arlberg ski days ever, all the keen locals were out too - amazing powder snow and skiing fresh lines every run all day off Riffl1 & 2 and Maas/ Gampberg in bluebird -5C conditions, looking forward to 20th January already.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just looked at webcams - Galzig open, Osthang closed, Maas open/ Riffl 1 closed, Albona closed, Gampen chair closed, St Christoph lift closed......when this storm moves out and lifts open it'll be epic for those arriving at the weekend and when the visibility improves I suggest.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29,

The fluctuating temperatures have created a very unstable snowpak

Avalanche danger is to high....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just got back from an awesome week, (27th-3rd) as above 29th was an awesome day (outside of the 30 minutes spent looking for a ski in waist deep snow!) overall couldn't believe how much snow there was for this point in the season. Also didn't seem that busy on the slopes for New Years Week, think the snowy days kept a lot of people inside!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Northernhills,

Everywhere (low lying less expensive) areas in Austria were all open so families from Germany Holland etc ski there to save a fortune.

St Anton was NOT full new years week & the coming weeks will be less crowded
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Markymark29, level 4 in large parts of Tirol, including Arlberg. I wouldn't even consider going off piste right now tbh.
https://lawine.tirol.gv.at/home/lagebericht/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Markymark29, level 4 in large parts of Tirol, including Arlberg. I wouldn't even consider going off piste right now tbh.
https://lawine.tirol.gv.at/home/lagebericht/
[/quote]

Even last week we saw a couple of slides from the lifts, including one directly above a group (who were luckily OK). Felt like a lot of people were just charging off piste without much prep/research.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agreed regards Level 4, i'd be nowhere off piste currently....it was level 3 mostly last week above 2000m, we were only in well protected areas near the pistes and/ or Itinery runs and certainly no steeps or terrain traps, you didn't need to stray far from the pistes, plenty good slack stuff about, and many pistes were unprepared anyway so just as much fun. I agree very quiet for NY week, loads of Dutch families, not many Skandis or Brits (well not as much as usual it seemed). Lots of locals and Germans, and noticeably more Russian/ Polish voices than I've heard before.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Agreed regards Level 4, i'd be nowhere off piste currently....it was level 3 mostly last week above 2000m, we were only in well protected areas near the pistes and/ or Itinery runs and certainly no steeps or terrain traps, you didn't need to stray far from the pistes, plenty good slack stuff about, and many pistes were unprepared anyway so just as much fun. I agree very quiet for NY week, loads of Dutch families, not many Skandis or Brits (well not as much as usual it seemed). Lots of locals and Germans, and noticeably more Russian/ Polish voices than I've heard before.

The unprepared pistes were excellent! I think morning of the 30th (when the snow got wet) it felt like there was about 20 people total up Rendl ... I had a couple of hours of shin deep powder on the piste at the top. (From the two man lift)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow is like concrete in parts.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
whats the freeze level? seems to be ~1600 meters..
Ifyou look on facebook people were skiing powder in the morning
https://www.facebook.com/geli.stanton/posts/1999090166783020
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice snow at the top of Galzig this morning with poor viz all day. The snow in town turned to rain late afternoon. Finished down Osthang ski route at 4pm and the snow became very heavy towards the bottom.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 4-01-18 20:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was snowing nicely in town this morning, lifts unsurprisingly late to open by time they finished blasting, some higher lifts never even opened and high winds kept others shut. Was on Osthang this afternoon, lovely fresh powder on the slopes with snow falling until about 2 pylons from the bottom of the chair, at which point it changed to heavy, wet stuff on the piste and more like sleet falling. Very windy as you got to the top of the Osthang chair so not surprised at all about the Christoph chair being shut. Downloaded on the Galzigbahn (Steissbachtal still shut) to find it was peeing down in town with lots of lovely puddles and soggy people everywhere.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Since 8 Pm tonight, road closures for Arlbergpass due to avalanchedanger. Lech, Zürs and Stuben are isolated.
snow conditions
@Northernhills,
Quote:

The unprepared pistes were excellent! I think morning of the 30th (when the snow got wet) it felt like there was about 20 people total up Rendl ... I had a couple of hours of shin deep powder on the piste at the top. (From the two man lift)

Laughing Me and my OH, plus you and 17 others then! Was great up there....
snow report
What have the lift queues been like over the last week?
snow conditions
@JimboS, we dont have lift lines in Arlberg
ski holidays
@JimboS, Nothing over New Year
snow report
Read

https://lawine.tirol.gv.at/en/home/bulletin/
snow report
Should be great for the coming week then.
snow report
Not sure if this is the right thread, my austrian geography knowledge is limited, but how if so: how are things in Ischgl? Can i hope for decent snow left a week from now? =)
ski holidays
@JimboS, How do you read that? I'd read that and stay well away from off-piste for the next 7 days, Level 3 Considerable and big slides on grassy slopes and windblown drift at high level doesn't fill me with much hope of any big routes, slack stuff OK but I'd stay well away from big runs off-piste.

There's a danger in my view that people read these bulletins and think 3/5 is medium risk so i'll give it a go. Met a couple last week in a bar from Antwerp......asked if I'd been doing much, said not too risky, he said they'd done Shimmelegg off back of Gampberg through the barriers and down into Hinterrendl, all in bad viz, late pm and level 3. Said they didn't really know where they were going, just followed their noses, clearly experienced skiers but seemed mega risky to me.....wondered if we fancied joining them day following and showing them about - politely ignored their request.
snow report
@Markymark29, I was replying to your thread re lift queues rather than Stantons.
ski holidays
@JimboS, Ah sorry.......you'll be good for no queues next week for sure.
latest report
@JimboS, The snowpak is unstable after two three heavy snowfals..& fluctuating temp

Even after it settling down (minimum 7-10 days) slides are innevitable..

Sorry to say but im expecting a lot more incidents in tbe coming days even away from the ski areas , naturally occurung.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, i think nearly every season we get fatals ....Shimmelegg off back of Gampberg through the barriers and down into Hinterrendl....

A few seasons back we had two fatals exactly same spot on consecutive days
snow report
It was crazy hot today. Almost +10c at Oberlech at 1600m at one point.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There were loads of smallish slides visible today, particularly when looking from the top of the Arlenmähderbahn towards Schindler and then left towards the off-piste traverse that leads to Stuben. Some big glide cracks where the whole snow pack had moved.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 5-01-18 22:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Will be staying in Chalet Christiane in St Anton as a solo, arriving 7th January, departing 14th. Standard - reasonable intermediate. If any Snowheads are around St Anton I'd be happy to meet up. Very Happy
Arthur
ski holidays
@Kelskii, that is all controlled
snow conditions
Also some much bigger slides visible too, again looked to have been controlled. One below the Schindler itinerary that carried across the Steissbachtal pistes (still closed) and then another massive one down from Galzig towards St Christoph that looked to have taken some of the small trees/bushes with it.
ski holidays
@stanton, ok, but it’s still an indication of how unstable the snowpack is. Lot of people skiing under the Schindler lift, appear to be a lot of controlled slides here too. People are skiing the Schindler gulleys but I gave it all a miss and now in Zurs where it’s very spring-like. The snow’s better in St Anton.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 7-01-18 8:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
The Northen ridges are all protected with Gazex control
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/4PRdVp7g_9Q
latest report
How much damage will the warm southerly winds do to the snowpack this weekend and through Tuesday?
latest report
@Ptspeak, there is a lot of snow. It won’t make a huge difference.
snow conditions
Flat light this morning.....
latest report
@Ptspeak,

There is enough snow for the entire season.
latest report
Nice day today with no lift queues. Left the off-piste alone and finished on Osthang ski route which was all icy moguls with frozen lumps down the side. It gave my feet a vibro-massage and shook my fillings out.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy