Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2017/2018 (Mud Season May/June))

Poster: A snowHead
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Any Snowheads going to be in St Anton 3rd-10th Feb?

Yes my family and I will be visiting Feb 3-10 from the USA. First time skiing in St. Anton, didn’t realize when we booked that we picked a busy half term week with half of Austria and Germany on break. At least it’s not the next week which is Fasching right? And at least no other countries are on break? We are concerned it’s going to be mayhem on the slopes and in the queues? Will we still have a good time? Does anyone have advice for us? We are decent skiers who can ski any piste and are looking to try out off-piste too. We booked P2P for our first 3 days there.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fasching

2018: February 11-13 – Ash Wednesday falls on Feb. 14
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yesterday..Big Accident in the ArlbergstrasseTunnel

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/news/stories/2888075/

Caused by a British Driver.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fohn weather this week...

Next week will see a new Storm Front (with some potential snow build up) possibly starting already this Friday...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Craghopper wrote:
Will be staying in Chalet Christiane in St Anton as a solo, arriving 7th January, departing 14th. Standard - reasonable intermediate. If any Snowheads are around St Anton I'd be happy to meet up. Very Happy
Arthur

Hubby and I are here this week staying in Stuben if you fancy meeting up.
Similarly if any other snowheads are around Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.

http://youtube.com/v/Jbu14Ivpzu0
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lots of sun today, and the air temp felt slightly warmer than yesterday. Popped over to Lech first thing, and the bottom slopes were already soft and cutting up into moguls strewn between scratchy patches (this was just before 11).

It was also still pretty windy (windier, I think, than Bergfex had suggested). I had planned to take the Rufikopfbahn cable car up from town, but due to wind they were only running one car at a time so there was a decent sized queue. Settled for a bus back to Zurs instead. Later I spent some time sat on the Trittkopfbahn gondola as it slowly edged forward in the wind, stopping every now and then to bounce up and down alarmingly. Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Warm one already this morning..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

http://youtube.com/v/57dP-4fY1xM
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Funny, by chance I've been spotting the guys of WintersportLive filming the above video. It indeed was een pretty day, just for last Christmas. wink And I remember thinking:"well, that is not a bad job" Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is this warm weather doing much damage?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
conor90 wrote:
Is this warm weather doing much damage?

There is a 2 metre base .. It could be warm until April & there still be enough to ski on
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NEpow23 wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Any Snowheads going to be in St Anton 3rd-10th Feb?

Yes my family and I will be visiting Feb 3-10 from the USA. First time skiing in St. Anton, didn’t realize when we booked that we picked a busy half term week with half of Austria and Germany on break. At least it’s not the next week which is Fasching right? And at least no other countries are on break? We are concerned it’s going to be mayhem on the slopes and in the queues? Will we still have a good time? Does anyone have advice for us? We are decent skiers who can ski any piste and are looking to try out off-piste too. We booked P2P for our first 3 days there.

And I'll be there for that week with a group of four (boarders & skiers from Ireland & Scotland. We're in our very late thirties; it'll be (nearly) all about the snow, which is looking great so far, hopefully a bit of fresh stuff before then.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The snow base is fine - although it's like early spring skiing a bit at the moment, so stuff getting a bit cut up later on.

Quite a lot of wind around today. Tried to get over to Warth, but the gondola was shut (and in fact they were just taking the bubbles off, probably for the day). They'd also shut the chair back up from the mid station, so everyone who'd skied down was having to ski/walk along a footpath to get back to the piste (much to the surprise of the morning's walkers, coming the other way). Much of Zurs, and the Trittkopfbahn all shut too. Think we'll hang out in Lech for a bit...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pleasehelpme, was there any new snow overnight? Radars suggest there was some precipitation.
ski holidays
A very small dusting, but nothing worth mentioning (at least in Lech and Zurs).
ski holidays
Any reasonable chance of significant snowfall next week?
latest report
Drove through St Anton earlier today. Haven't seen so much snow in the village for a long while, let alone so early in the season!
snow conditions
@Piste-off, likewise-late 30s and all about the snow!
Can’t wait it should be fab!
ski holidays
We'll be there for the week beginning 27/1, got out of Tignes just before the worst of the storm there.
snow report
I'm out on Sunday 14th for a week with a few friends ... Anyone around next week ?
ski holidays
Sunny Day..warm...windy up high...

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=58280&start=125#p5146246

Avalanche Danger Still High

Steissbachtal (Happy Valley) is still closed , weather it gets open this season remains uncertain.

Snow expected next week , could be quite considerable.
snow conditions
Why is the Steissbachtal slope closed?
snow report
@blkball, The South facing Schindlergrat & Matun have been unstable all season ...
ski holidays
@stanton, what was the avalanche danger in St Anton today? It's been quite low in Lech and Zurs the last two days (2/5). The rain crust should be fairly bullet proof at all but the highest altitudes, I would have thought. We certainly saw a lot of people skinning up in Warth today.

Cold and still today. Links were all open so we mooched over to Warth. Snow was in pretty good shape, but it was also very chilly so we headed back to Lech after lunch and hung out in the sun. The slopes are all in good condition, though they're definitely hard packed and slightly scratchy rather than soft and grippy. Today being cooler things didn't cut up so much, and by the end of the day there were just small piles of sugar spread across the pistes.
ski holidays
@pleasehelpme,
Avalanche danger might be 2/5 but still some important connections like Zugertobel in Zug/Lech and the mentioned Steissbachtal in St.Anton are closed.
Especially the closure of Steissbachtal is quite problematic, it is the major connecting piste in St.Anton
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
@blkball, The South facing Schindlergrat & Matun have been unstable all season ...

It’s only nearly in the season and it’s been closed a week or so! I understand the aspects /terrain involved here, and have seen many a slide including one up near the top of the valley (on the ski route in 2016).

Late season it’s closed more than its open and forbir to be closed so early due to heavy and unstable snow packs will impact on many skiers. For many, it’s their only way down and is therefore vital. Coming back from Zurs, transiting to tanzboden and then down in Galzigbahn is the only way for many but leaves them missing out on the great feeling of skiing back to resort.

Is there any talk in town between Arlberger Berbahen and the Gemeinde of constructing avalanche defenses high on the ridge or is this an environmental restriction? If there is lift infastructure (or road) they can be built so wondering if a case can be made for them?
snow conditions
@Kaisr Sose, its not actually just Avalanche danger for Steißbachtal there is another issue which i have heard about but cannot say on here ....which is why it may not open this season....

Anyway, lots of folks are skiing it regardless of closure, bypassing the ropes or just dropping in from Bachseite Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
, its not actually just Avalanche danger for Steißbachtal there is another issue which i have heard about

^^ they want everybody, including beginners, go down kandahar in a big chinese downhill Laughing
sorry, couldn´t resist.
ski holidays
@stanton,

Are you saying that the blue run down "Happy Valley" is closed and likely to remain closed in the longer term?
ski holidays
@PBJ,

I'll be in St Anton from the 13th to the 20th of January.
ski holidays
@Kaisr Sose, It is not closed for just a week or so. It was closed at Christmas already.
"Avalanche defenses high on the ridge": Contradictio in terminis!
ski holidays
Black run down the mountain after a day's skiing, what can be more fun for the wife and kids.
ski holidays
Black run down the mountain after a day's skiing, what can be more fun for the wife and kids.
latest report
@Langerzug, yes, my point was more related to stanton's comment on avalanche danger being high. I haven't been over to St Anton yet so was interested to hear if the conditions are substantially different over there.

I realise having home runs shut is a real pain in the neck for lots of people and I wouldn't claim otherwise (not least because my edges are shot, so I'd rather take Steissbachtal right now than the black). But I'm sceptical that this is avalanche related [and I see stanton is now dropping cryptic hints about darker forces]. That's based on 1) my observation (derived from the zero pits I've dug, to be fair) that the general avalanche risk looks pretty low now - there are glide cracks visible all over the place (I mean literally every aspect), but following the rain, wind and sun I think the snowpack has probably consolidated a fair bit and areas that were in significant danger of sliding are likely to have gone (or to now be bridged by the crust). And 2), if the resort wanted to make an area safe they could do...throw enough bombs and you're laughing (I'm not saying that's not expensive, but they could deal with it if they wanted to).
snow report
Does that mean you can't ski to some the popular aprea ski bars then?
snow conditions
Does that mean you can't ski to some the popular aprea ski bars then?
ski holidays
@blkball, you can ski to them all no problem!
ski holidays
Ah ok, must be getting mixed up, I thought that run was the only way down to them. Been a while since I have been there. Going now on the 19th-23rd January. Can't wait! Smile
snow conditions
@pleasehelpme, Just for your information, the Zugertobel in Lech (which is the only valley run for Zug) is the place where the Dutch prince was killed.
It is very silly to be skeptical that this is avalanche related. You appear to think you know more about avalanches than Austrian government. Or that Austria is some kind of banana-republic?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy