Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2017/2018 (Mud Season May/June))

Poster: A snowHead
@Langerzug, Makes sense but wonder if it'll follow same route up, then run downhill at the end to Valluga chair......just hope they send them up with more than 1 or 2 people in them like they do now with the chair! That drives me crazy - stood in the queue outside the bottom station on a bluebird pow day and there's chairs going up not full. I'll miss the crazy bit at the top of Schindler in the moguls though, its always fun in there. Also dropping into the couloirs will be a bit of a walk, as will top section of Schindlerkar.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Langerzug wrote:
Rumour in the German Alpinforum: Schindlergratbahn is to be replaced within two years by a gondola ('einseilumlaufbahn') with topstation near Valluga-towlift

Noooo I love that old chair. So atmospheric on a storm day, and fabulous views when you crest the ridge on good weather!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Could imagine a 'Zwischenstation' on top of Schindlerspitze for the Schindlerrinnen etc.
But this new solution would definitely solve the narrow start which is so problematic for many, and as such make it indeed possible to have a lift with much higher capacity, and solve the queuing.
Although currently the closure of the Steissbachtal appears to become St.Antons main problem now. And with a closed Steissbachtal, no new Schindlergratbahn is needed...

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 15-01-18 16:00; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:
Sorry cannot say..im sure before to long the reason will be out on the open

Considering the Gampen webcam has been "down" for a while there may be something in the conspiratorial tone for once. Is one of the lifts going to
be relocated in that zone. Or is there a culvert collapse. Or are they filming a James Bond movie there!!!!..................no wait.......... it must be aliens
has to be.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Langerzug wrote:
Rumour in the German Alpinforum: Schindlergratbahn is to be replaced within two years by a gondola ('einseilumlaufbahn') with topstation near Valluga-towlift

That has been on the replacement roadmap for sometime.

Schindlergratbahn is 30 years old.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@stanton,
Yes stanton, we all know that.... rolling eyes Any other valuable info?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Langerzug wrote:
@stanton,
Yes stanton, we all know that.... rolling eyes Any other valuable info?

Plenty but saving it !! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mcg,
Quote:

Is one of the lifts going to

be relocated in that zone

Zammermoosbahn is going to be relocated at some time but that wouldn't affect Steissbachtal and they don't just move a lift peak season, its pretty strange......I can only think its a gang of muggers that are waiting at bottom af Laerchen ready to steal unsuspecting skiers apres-ski/ beer funds at the end of the day that is keeping it closed.

Must admit not thought why that Gampen webcam was down continuously....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oooh what’s going on?
I like skiing down Steissbachtal on the way home I shall miss that in a couple of weeks time when I’m out
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anybody know if they're going to make an effort to get happy valley open this season?. I was there last week and there are about 3 avalanches along it, including a huge one blocking the bottom. It also looks very narrow from the lifts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@xscreamer, What kind of effort where you thinking of? Puzzled Sounds like you're suffering the well-know 'can-do disease'. For your information, this is snow & mountains; not plastic.
@stanton, tell me, St.Anton is opening new taxistands?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Langerzug wrote:
@xscreamer, What kind of effort where you thinking of? Puzzled Sounds like you're suffering the well-know 'can-do disease'. For your information, this is snow & mountains; not plastic.

TBF given current avalanche risk (level 1) it does seem odd that it would be too dangerous to open, though I guess it's plausible that there are a couple of huge glide cracks potentially still to rip out. Or is there just a huge amount of debris? Haven't been to the Arlberg for a wee while.

Putting my conspiracy theorists hat on... Could they want to build a new lift/connection (or landscaping/engineering) that would breach environmental regulations and be hoping that the long term closure of a main thoroughfare like Steißbachtal may help to justify it?

Or maybe there's a bear hiding down there or something Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@clarky999, oh come on, not you too.
In Lech, Zugertobel, the flat route towards Zug is also closed. It is similar exposed as Steissbachtal. And essential for some very pricey hotels to get their guests back to Zug. They are on the skibus from Lech now...

St.Anton itself is hurt most by this. Lots of guests will be irritated/disappointed.
Suggesting they could "make an effort" is silly and in fact insulting

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 15-01-18 18:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still a number of glide cracks in the Mattun bowl (saw a skier and border underneath one of them today), so imagine still the same along the Schindler side of Steissbachtal (been skiing Gampen/Kapall pistes all day so didn't get chance to have a look from Galzig way). Also a lot of debris at either end, kne at the top end that went over the red and blue, and then several towards the bottom (including one right at the bottom, much further down and it'd be on the blue down from Gampen) which are stacked pretty high.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Langerzug, right so there are avalanches down there making it narrower for skiing than it already is in places?
I think that’s fair enough and the reason I say this is on the way home I often see people struggling with the width of how it was already. You can get heavy ski traffic down there at home time and if it’s narrowed then that could be accident central.
snow conditions
Steissbachtal

I do know the reason.

Im sure with all the complaints a public annoucement will have to be made & it will not be good at all for the area.
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5,
The narrowness could indeed be solved with groomers I suppose, so that's not the main issue
From what I understand this is about very local avalanche danger, related to snow sliding on grass. It is confined to middle elevations.
Both Steissbachtal and Zugertobel are beneath long rather steep slopes facing south.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 15-01-18 18:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@clarky999...

snow report
@Langerzug they may also be thinking that even more snow is coming what with it being early season so they could tidy up and be back to square 1 next week sort of thing. Aside from the avalanche risk I mean.
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5,

Controlling Matun & Schindler faces can be done no problem ..Clearing slides in the Valley is no problem

They can even build huge Pisten Bully made Snow Avalanche Breakers multiple lines of them..5 mertes high or more.

That is not the issue ..otherwise it would if been done.

Lets see what happens on Feb 2nd when the European Kids Holidays start......there will be serious pressure on to resolve..
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, Laughing

@Langerzug, it's fun to speculate wink

Like I said I have no idea what's going on and the (very unpredictable) threat of big glide cracks is definitely plausible given the temps lately. Hard to control that sort of hazard with explosives too.
snow report
@clarky999,

Why have they not clised Schindler to Rauz with its South facing flanks where many unpredicted avalanches have released and come across the Piste in the previous seasons.

Why have they put a marked skuroute down to St Christoph from Osthang this season when the South facing St Chistoph (off piste) was always deemed very susceptible to natural release. .

Steißbachtal .The reason is not Avalanche danger.
ski holidays
@stanton, bears isn’t it. Admit it. Come out of hibernation due to mild spell. Have put out some tables and are dancing on them in their ski boots. Not. Even. Drunk. Just going for it big time.
snow conditions
Hey. Anybody know why Steisbachtal (Happy Valley) closed?
latest report
I’d heard it wasn’t bears, but a troll that has taken up residence under the bridge.
Laughing
snow conditions
Steissbachtal - What does the Bergbahn say?
snow conditions
Skied the black alternative yesterday and today .... no bears or troll to be seen !
Hard to see why it’s still shut - mattun slopes look pretty much purged.
Good day today - went to warth via white ring - nice snow with a few scrapy patches to keep you on toes ! Clouded over from 4 but not snowing yet .... fingers crossed for a POW day !!
ski holidays
I am in St Anton.

There are some big cracks above Happy Valley opposite the Kandahar run. Rock could come down as well as snow. If they blast it you would probably get a huge blockage on the piste.

That is possibly why it is closed.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen wrote:
@stanton, bears isn’t it. Admit it. Come out of hibernation due to mild spell. Have put out some tables and are dancing on them in their ski boots. Not. Even. Drunk. Just going for it big time.

Laughing Laughing

Different St Anton, but reminded me of this: http://www.unsertirol24.com/2017/06/13/baer-pluendert-bienenstoecke-und-dringt-bis-zum-wohnhaus-vor/
ski holidays
Zurs

Here is more on Sundays Piste accident involving a 5 year old with nearly a severed head

http://www.krone.at/1614128

Almost daily in Austria there are serious Piste accidents...

Ban Helmets & Carving Skis & especially endless Groomed Pistes.

Stay Safe..Stay Off Piste

Stop the Brutal Grooming.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 16-01-18 9:25; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@saller1, The official line is Safety but that is not the real reason.
snow report
PBJ wrote:
Skied the black alternative yesterday and today .... no bears or troll to be seen !
Hard to see why it’s still shut - mattun slopes look pretty much purged.
Good day today - went to warth via white ring - nice snow with a few scrapy patches to keep you on toes ! Clouded over from 4 but not snowing yet .... fingers crossed for a POW day !!

The are still some cracks appearing in the Mattun bowl, and others getting gradually bigger from the looks of it. The snow's here now!
snow conditions
Couple of cms in town and light snow now.
latest report
Three more separate serious accidents in Arlberg (Lech, Zürs and St Anton) yesterday.

http://www.vol.at/vorarlberg-mehrere-alpinunfaelle-in-skigebieten-am-arlberg/5630050
snow conditions
@clarky999, so you think there are bee hives 🐝 hidden near Bachseite which are attracting the bears?? 🐻
latest report
Looking at Bergfex (if that is ever to be believed) looks awesome next week too, don't think i'll be packing my sunglasses! Laughing
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
@clarky999, so you think there are bee hives 🐝 hidden near Bachseite which are attracting the bears?? 🐻

The Bergbahnen have discovered oil under the happy valley. There will be oil rigs erected imminently disguised as new char lifts
pumping the liquid gold straight into Switzerland. its bonanza time. Though they don't want anyone to know and are disabling the
cameras whenever they are prospecting!
snow report
@mcg, that could actually be true.
ski holidays
The slides into the bottom of the valley were massive last week and looked a bit different each day , it seemed pretty prudent to shut it.
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:

You know what, I think we've solved it Shocked

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy