Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Timers - Location?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

First time skiiers looking for a ski resort to visit, possibly in November. Had a look at St Anton and it seems great, but it's apparently not the best for beginners.

CRITERIA
- Good place for beginners
- Great apres ski experience
- Beautiful views

Any help would be appreciated, cheers!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@HJKettle, tbh, if you are absolute beginners, your requirements are much more focused on having a good time off the snow and having a good instructor.

November is not winter. Limited to glaciers. No, you do not want to go skiing in November.

Who suggested you even could?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I saw a couple places saying November-April is the best time to go, but that can be delayed to December if needs be.

But yeah I agree on the good time and good instructor part.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@HJKettle, no, really, december begins to get more interesting.

Mind you, I have a French Northern Alps bias so there may be some Austrian places that kick off earlier and Austrian hospitality can't be faulted Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
@HJKettle, no, really, december begins to get more interesting.

Mind you, I have a French Northern Alps bias so there may be some Austrian places that kick off earlier and Austrian hospitality can't be faulted Happy

Ha, fair enough. Any places you'd recommend?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@HJKettle, have a look at this thread.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=131951&highlight=

Seems Saalbach, SkiWelt and Madonna di Campiglio are apt suggestions for you.

Certainly if you are looking for scenery, apres, mountain ambience you would be looking at Austria or Italy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
@HJKettle, have a look at this thread.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=131951&highlight=

Seems Saalbach, SkiWelt and Madonna di Campiglio are apt suggestions for you.

Certainly if you are looking for scenery, apres, mountain ambience you would be looking at Austria or Italy.

That sounds great. Beginner friendly too? Saalbach looks like fun.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HJKettle,
I saw a couple places saying November-April is the best time to go

Maybe people trying to fill up empty accommodation!
Honestly, if you want to see the Alps at their best, go January to March. Even in December, most years, the majority of resorts won't have all their runs open.

Lots of places would meet the criteria you have given.
Saalbach or Skiwelt are good suggestions, but there are lots of smaller resorts that would also be suitable.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Drammeister wrote:
@HJKettle,
I saw a couple places saying November-April is the best time to go

Maybe people trying to fill up empty accommodation!
Honestly, if you want to see the Alps at their best, go January to March. Even in December, most years, the majority of resorts won't have all their runs open.

Lots of places would meet the criteria you have given.
Saalbach or Skiwelt are good suggestions, but there are lots of smaller resorts that would also be suitable.

Fair enough, so perhaps early January in the New Year is the best bet?

Thanks for all the advice thus far guys.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Early Jan you can suffer from poor snow and it can be very cold. (Or you can have great snow and blue skies, obviously, but if you are going to get bad conditions it's more likely earlier.) I would look at Obergurgl in Austria. Easy runs, not to crowded. Also possibly Kaprun - the Maiskogel is a small mountain, very easy to ski, and the Kitzsteinhorn glacier is very shallow and wide in places, as are bits of Zell am See (both five mins away). There are runs in Zell about as wide as a football picth and about ten degrees of slope. (Unless I am misremembering, it's a while since I was there - others more current on those areas will confirm.)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@HJKettle, early January was my favourite back when I went on ski holidays.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Personally, I'd pick January, but not the 1st week (still holidays for many). So 2nd week Jan up to roughly 1st week Feb, which is when the half term holidays all start. Any time in that window gives a good chance for snow, fewer people, more economical prices, etc.
For the Alps/Dolomites, at least.
November, could be anything from no snow yet, to rock hard man-made solid ice.

I'd pick somewhere with both tree line skiing and high-ish. Go higher if it's warm, stay in the trees if it's dumping. My choice would be Dolomites or Portes du Soleil or Saalbach or ...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@HJKettle, sounds like you have no restrictions on when you can (no kids?). In which case what @andy is pretty much right in terms of budget and snow conditions. And heed the advice about tree lined skiing. Will be a real godsend if the weather closes in.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne correct no kids haha I'm only 21. Sounds good, as long as I don't have to spend too much and the weather is decent then that sounds great.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@HJKettle, Best time to ski in my very firm opinion is mid-March. The days are longer and much warmer. The snow pack has built up. In recent years the snow has been better at the end of the season so a greater chance of everywhere looking pretty and white. As long as you avoid some of the European half-terms it can also be one of the quietest periods. New year / 1st week in Jan might be absolute bedlam.
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, best just to go to 2,3,4 times (budget/work allowing) to make sure you cover all bases Very Happy

Agree though if you can only do one week mid-March is probably the optimum. With children of 12 and 9 I can only look back fondly at such options!
latest report
An obvious potential answer would be (assuming Admin runs it again) the "make yourself a snowhead bash".
In the Dolomites (scenic, economical, good food), in January (most economical week of the season, pretty much), with a bunch of snowheads (instant apres), mix of beginners and mentors, ...
snow report
Quote:

Best time to ski in my very firm opinion is mid-March

+1
latest report
@HJKettle, You're not going to see Apres ski anywhere in November....or much snow either unless you're on a glacier. March for beginners is best, warmer and good snow base.
latest report
Agreed re Jan - March months and as you're young I'd look at Austria for good apres and not too expensive. Söll and Saalbach are good suggestions
snow report
(Söll is Skiwelt)
snow report
Also Livigno if you don't mind a longer transfer time
snow conditions
......or Kitzbuhel
snow conditions
Switzerland = Wengen.
Austria = Saalbach.
Italy = Cortina.
France = Serre Chevalier.
Germany = Garmisch.
USA = Mammoth.
snow report
andy wrote:
An obvious potential answer would be (assuming Admin runs it again) the "make yourself a snowhead bash".
In the Dolomites (scenic, economical, good food), in January (most economical week of the season, pretty much), with a bunch of snowheads (instant apres), mix of beginners and mentors, ...

Make yourself a Snowhead Bash is held Livigno, not the Dolomites. Having said that, that would be the best option, if Admin runs it next season. snowHead
snow conditions
November ? Very few resorts will be open that early. IE the lifts will not be running. First week in March is good in most resorts.

Courmayeur ticks your boxes nicely. Excellent night life Fantastic scenery and a good beginners resort. Leave your boots and skis in a locker at the top gondola station.
snow conditions
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

Best time to ski in my very firm opinion is mid-March

+1

+2

One of the best ski resorts for beginners I've seen is Civetta in Val Zoldana, Italy

Beautiful village that's easy to walk around
Not Austrian level apres, but plenty of great restaurants and bars
Wide variety of ski-in, walk-in accommodation at all price points
Great value for money
Wonderful scenery from town

Walk-in gondola at base of the mountain which takes you to a sunny plateau where the dedicated, roped off beginner area is located
Restaurant and toilets right beside the beginner area
Unbelievable views from the plateau. As a beginner you're not stuck down in the village looking at hotels and lift infrastrcture
Once you feel comfortable, you ski out of the beginner area back down to the base on a long, gentle run

Linked to other areas to give more than enough skiing for your first week

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Civetta
http://www.skicivetta.com/modules/mastop_publish/?tac=22
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, On my map Civetta is a mountain, a big serious mountain, what resort are you refering to, is it Alleghe? I like Alleghe but have only been there during the summer.

@HJKettle, I agree with the other posters there is very little, if any, skiing in November. Go mid March to Mid April instead. Have a read of "Where to Ski and Snowboard". As it is no longer published you will need to search out a secondhand copy, but it is much more comprehensive than our knowledge.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, I have an old copy. I find it very pro-France and anti-Austria though!
snow report
@Drammeister, I thought it was pretty accurate.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
@Mike Pow, On my map Civetta is a mountain, a big serious mountain, what resort are you refering to, is it Alleghe? I like Alleghe but have only been there during the summer.

No the other side, the exit just before heading to Cortina.

Turn off is Forno di Zoldo, lifts in the village of Zoldo Alto.

Once on the plateau you can see but not ski Monte Civeta.

You can ski down to Alleghe and then bus to other resorts in Sella Ronda.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy