Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Queenstown 2017

Poster: A snowHead
My first day on snow after my accident went very well. A lovely sunny day and nice groomed snow for a careful start.

They must have kept this park just for me.

The ice bar has moved from the top of the Greengates chair to near the top of the Million Dollar run

Pretty good snow coverage in most areas.

Looking north towards the Harris Mtn range.

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Sarge McSarge, fantastic pics Very Happy We've just arrived in Te Anau for a few days before heading to Wanaka. Fingers crossed we get some time on the snow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grasshopper's end of July review - no surprises, Hutt out front by a country mile!

http://www.mountainwatch.com/snow-news/37519924/Snow-Season-Outlook-2017---August-Update---New-Zealand---The-Beast-to-the-East
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup way more snow as you travel north. We are lucky to have the coverage we have down here given the lack of decent snow falls. Hope you enjoy your travels @dbaskls,
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hutt is certainly getting the crowds this year, pretty much need to be on the access road by 7.30am at the weekend to get up there before they close the mountain due to being at capacity. Lift queues aren't too long usually but there's nowhere to park.

Not sure if it's because they have so much more snow than southern hills and that's pulling people in from there, or if NZ is busier this year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had a day at Cardrona yesterday. Sadly just me as junior DBASKLS said he wasn't ready to try Sad but he promises he will in his own time.

Anyway it stayed dry and mostly clear although the breeze would occasionally blow in some cloud so the visibility changed very quickly.

It was fairly quiet which was nice as I like to explore at a gentle pace. The snow was good but softened a little as the day wore on but not quite a "spring" freeze/thaw.

I can't figure out how to add photos from my phone so I'll add some when I'm back in the UK next week.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the report dbaskls

Seems NZ has had a very warm winter. Ruapehu is getting hammered with rain events. Barely a snow fall that doesnt get monsooned away following week. The webcams are depressing viewing. 60mm rain predicted midstation at the weekend Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's epic in Canterbury, been a very snowy winter so far, best in a few years, and more on the way next week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Turoa at 1750 Shocked

20643328_10154506510007574_4840397178761136244_o
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very light snow falls the last two nights down here. Unfortunately the snowline was a bit above the base at Coroner meaning nicer up top transitioning to frozen at the bottom. Frozen areas softening as the day goes on. Better at Remarkables and Cardrona due to higher altitude. Treble Conne probably good up top as well. It is a bit to much like spring Sad Could be cooler tomorrow with a little more snow, fingers crossed.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good news overnight with about 15cm's at the lowest lifts and 30 plus higher up. It's about time we got a noticable snow fall in this part of the country. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
98cm (and counting) at mt hutt today. Should be on a 4.5m base now.

Just emailed work saying I won't be in Very Happy looking like a bluebird day tomorrow. Hopefully they can dig the road out tonight.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
V jealous @hang11! Giving serious thought to where to call home when returning to NZ later this year... Auckland seemed a foregone conclusion, jobs beaches lifestyle galore, but the downside - Ruapehu - the skiing there seems to get worse every year. They look to only have enough base season by season to reliably ski off-piste by mid-August, when the days are lengthening and sun angle rising and the best of the cold weather is more or less gone. It's just too far north. Compare that to this year's facts and figures coming from Hutt, it's in such sharp relief, as well as the distance equation working against (Hutt only an hr from Chch rather than Ruapehu <-> Auckland = 3 3/4 hr min), and house prices a 3rd of Auckland, my Akl/Chch pros/cons spreadsheet is see-sawing. Maybe I need a 3rd option... a job in Queenstown... and $1M for the avg 2 bed townhouse Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I moved qtn - methven - chch

Prefer chch. Beaches and close to lots of ski fields cheapish houses and plenty of work. On balance it's the best place for me. Love being able to go for a surf 30 seconds from home, and being an hour away from the snow, great fishing, and only having a 20 minute rush hour commute into the cbd.

The city is a total mess but it's steadily getting better and in another 5 years or so I think chch will be a different city to what it is now.

Queenstown and Auckland are just too expensive to buy houses which brings all sorts of social issues to those places and really stuffs up the work/life balance Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Am thinking of heading to Queenstown beginning of Sept - how is the snow holding up?
snow report
Snow here is pretty good at present. Actually it is the best it's been all season. Raining at present but some snow forecast for each of the next four days.
snow report
Thanks Sarge. How is Treble Cone?
latest report
@ChrisKernow, The upper mountain has pretty good coverage and that's the best terrain anyway. I'm not sure what the surface conditions are.
snow report
Here's a few pics from my recent trip to Cardrona on 9th Aug Very Happy All taken from the Captain's Cafe

latest report
@dbaskls, How did it all go?
snow conditions
@Sarge McSarge, ended up just me having a day at Cardrona as junior didn't feel ready. I had a good time, it was nice to be on skis again Very Happy
ski holidays
The NZ Winter games started here a couple of days ago with a whole bunch of top level competitors from around the world in town. The selfie hunters are out in force Very Happy
snow report
Just a few photos to keep up the interest. It has been very spring like here with hard surface in the morning softening as the day goes on. Still so good fun to be had.

The high square topped peak on the left way in the distance in New Zealand's highest peak Aoraki-Mt Cook

Valley cloud just of give some contrast

snow report
15cm + since last night and off and on snow for the next four days Very Happy I just happen to have the next 12 days off work and nothing to do but ski. Life is a wonderful thing.
ski holidays
@Sarge McSarge, snowHead
snow report
A good day today with great groomed runs and the ungroomed was nice early but it was tracked out quite early. More snow forecast for tomorrow night and then the next couple of days. Photos to come.
ski holidays
Just back from a morning at Coronet Peak. Lovely on the groomed and ungroomed was half way between soft and ski packed but still rather nice. A sunny start to the day but snowing by lunchtime and the forecast is still for on going snow falls.

A few photos from the last two days

snow report
looks great Happy

How's Cardrona looking? Got to go there next weekend.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's looking pretty good and should have been getting the same new snow as here. They have a good snow base everywhere so you should be in for a good time. Looks like there could be new snow off and on right through to Wednesday or Thursday Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Awesome thanks. Gotta drive Lindis Pass Friday night so hopefully not snowing then.

It's funny how it works, windy as up here and everywhere either closed or not worth going to, and good snow further south.
snow report
Another 10 to 15cm's overnight with continuing snow. This time the snow is right down to the valley and quite a blizzard on the mountains. Visibility was extremely poor as you can see from the photo so I went home early. But I have to say the snow was very nice where you could see enough to actually put in a few turns.

Top of the Greengates chair just before they closed it due to the wind.

latest report
Just a snowfall update. These are the reported totals for the last 24hrs from the local mountains. Coronet Peak 15cm + The Remarkables 20cm Cardrona 28cm Treble Cone 45cm. And it's still snowing off and on today so the totals will rise. The totals for this storm cycle are around the 60cm plus level so the coming week should be very nice.
latest report
Some very nice winter snow for a few days then warming up to spring conditions again. All the mountains have great cover after the storm. Warmer and rainy today but more good news is that after tomorrow it should cool down again and snow forecast for the following three days. I won't get back on the snow until Saturday next week. Unfortunately Toofy Grin I'm off to Fiji for a few days work. A bit short notice but no complaints.
ski holidays
Had a great time at Cardrona this weekend. A lot less snow than my local hills, but still great fun. Watched the Jossi Wells big air comp on Saturday, and that was really impressive.

Daughter walked away with a few medals, and it was puking snow when we left yesterday - managed to get some really nice runs in boot deep fresh snow during breaks in the weather.

Saturday

Sunday

snow report
@hang11, Very nice. Well spring is back with a stormy night, thunder, lightning and heavy rain giving the snow a bit of a knock. Cooling down tomorrow with a few cm's of snow forecast. Coronet Peak and Treble Cone due to close next weekend with the Remarkables and Cardrona staying open for a week beyond that.
snow report
A live one day only report from Cardrona.
Piste cover 100pct, sñft in the sun, still very hard in shade.
Off looks very dodgy as snow is full of moisture and refrozen hard.
The Lass has been instructing here all season.
I like it, but long dirt road to get up to it.
snow conditions
This may be the most pointless snow report on snow heads....
Treble one closed today for the season with good coverage on piste, though rock hard and/or slushy depending on time of day.
Treble one must have the best ski mountain view I have ever seen! Incredible mountain and lake view over Wanaka. Wow, simply wow!
It also has some fantastic terrain, some of the best I have ever seen or skied, and I have skied a lot of places all over the world.
ski holidays
Cardrona is a great place to learn to ski, an intermediates mountain.
Treblecone is a skiers mountain, but a terrible place to learn.
snow report
Really looking forward to our visit there next July/August.
snow conditions
I was there (TC) on Saturday! Really impressed, would love to come back with full coverage off the trails. Cardrona alright but felt a bit small in comparison!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy