Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Clinics / Coaching for next season

Poster: A snowHead
A bit of background - I'm usually a competent skier, comfortable in most circumstances and have been skiing a very long time (since 1984). However, I only ski for a week a year. I still get lessons most years, but didn't bother this year. The problem is that took a couple of falls this year which have knocked my confidence along with skiing most of the week in difficult conditions. Also, last year I had a private lesson which was just enough to make me realise I'm not as competent as I thought I was but not long enough to build my confidence back up!

My partner has been skiing for about 9 weeks & has less technique than me, so if we have lessons the instructor always spends more time with him so I don't feel I progress as well as I should.

We both feel we need something different next year! I've been trying to find week long ski clinic type courses and I can't seem to find what we need. The nearest I've found is the Inside Out courses, but I'm not sure the dates are going to work. I did the Evolution 2 Fine Skills course many years ago which was fab, but it would be good to try something different.

Does anyone have any ideas for us??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, where abouts are you based ? Can you get to any snow domes during the year?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're near enough to Manchester, so we can hopefully get a couple of sessions at the Chill Factor over the summer, but we really want to do an intensive week for our holiday next year as well.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah cool, I go to Hemel weekly and that's helped immensely for me (I'm a 5 week skier in the mountains but pushing 100 hours in the dome in between) but I can see its the holiday you're after.

I'm a fan of IOS and this course sounds good http://www.insideoutskiing.com/holidays/preseason.html

I don't have any experience of the course based holidays although I believe Warren Smith do summer courses that might give other options http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/shop/july-2nd-cervinia-5-day-academy/.

Another option is a bigger set of private lessons. We had a set this year 4 x 3hr morning lessons (in effect day on / day off) and that worked really well for us and the instructor set us different things based on our level. When we did skills clinics with IOS they were able to tune each instruction to what we could do individually but keep the pace up so it can be done.

Good luck with your hunt
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks! The Inside Out course is exactly what we need, but every week they have isn't a week we can do unfortunately. Both of us are very busy at work through the ski season & can only go certain weeks. I will have a look at the Warren Smith courses as well.

I definitely can see the value of having regular snowdome or dryslope lessons before we go. I spent every Wednesday night for the whole summer of 1984 having dryslope lessons - made all the difference!

Any other suggestions anyone?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
I still get lessons most years

Group lessons? Who with and where?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Quote:

It depends where I'm skiing. Recently I've either had very small group lessons in St Christoph with the Ski School there (max 5 people) or private lessons with my partner with Evolution 2. The only private lesson I've had on my own was a revelation as I was stretched for the first time in ages, but it just wasn't long enough! I don't want a week of private lessons, but I'd like that feeling of progressing & being stretched in my skiing that I've just not been getting over the last few years. I always pick something up when I'm in lessons, but it tends to just be a tweak here or there. I definitely think some kind of clinic would be just the thing next year & also I enjoy being in a group.

Any ideas?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sazza42 wrote:
Thanks! The Inside Out course is exactly what we need, but every week they have isn't a week we can do unfortunately.
Sorry that the dates don't work out for you. We will be shortly confirming another course in the Italian Dolomites, 11-18th March, in case these dates worker you.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Check Snoworks. You could even do a summer or autum ski course in preparation for the winter Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If I can ask a related question, similar to the OP's - what do people think about the use of indoor snowdomes for 1:1 lessons (private, coaching, external companies). The conditions are not always that good, to say the least, they can be busy and hard to take good or pre-planned lines/corridors on and of course they've very short. I've had a few good coaches or instructors inside in the past few years, but mainly not so good - seems a lottery, and you can't pick, choose or stipulate - so it has also often seemed like a waste of money. (I'm up North, Manchester snowdome currently, and things further south are not really accessible to me.)
However, as soon as I recover and restrengthen sufficiently from my knee injuries I want to go and get some serious technical learning in, in order to assist my confidence, technique and control and to ensure that I'm fully happy on skis (and which ones) and board before I spend money on the real stuff abroad (assuming that I can get travel insurance for a year or 2 anyway). I want to study and improve turn shape, size, release and exit points, varying terrain control, ice, steeps, etc - everything, basically, to make me a much better skier (and boarder - but that's at a much lower level currently) and enable me with confidence to get off the dratted crowded, idiot-strewn runs and onto perhaps more technical slopes (i.e. steeper, more hardpacked, other...). More scared of other people than I am of my own abilities...
I can't see that this type of training would really easily be gained inside, but a dome's obviously more accessible than overseas and I don't ideally want to leave it until precious holiday time (and Mr G boards) to try and get a good instructor (again seems often a lottery but prehaps easier?). So would it be worth it indoors? I think by the time that I get ready and safe to ski - late summer to Autumn minimum, maybe later - the main external course/instruction providers would be over.
Cheers.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Grizzler, why don't you try adult race training at Chill Factore
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sazza42 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

It depends where I'm skiing. Recently I've either had very small group lessons in St Christoph with the Ski School there (max 5 people) or private lessons with my partner with Evolution 2. The only private lesson I've had on my own was a revelation as I was stretched for the first time in ages, but it just wasn't long enough! I don't want a week of private lessons, but I'd like that feeling of progressing & being stretched in my skiing that I've just not been getting over the last few years. I always pick something up when I'm in lessons, but it tends to just be a tweak here or there. I definitely think some kind of clinic would be just the thing next year & also I enjoy being in a group.

Any ideas?

I am not convinced there is any difference between "ski lessons" and "a ski clinic". At the end of the day it's about how good the teacher is and how much they complement you and the size of the group. Also, I think you need to give the teacher/coach some direction. If you want to be stretched you need to tell them that and get them pushing you. My take on a lot of lessons/instruction is that people don't know what they want from the instructor and/or push the instructor. Basically the instructor just takes a bit of a guess or punt on what you want or need. The student thinks the instructor knows what he's doing and thinks it will improve them. Hopefully you can see where I'm going with that.

Another thought. You've had no continuity of instruction or coaching. If you go back to someone several times they know you and can pick up where they left off and make the next progression. Rather than starting from scratching.

Thought No 3. One week a year (6 days) isn't going to make it easy to progress. Is there anyway you can increase the frequency/amount of skiing you do?

Thought No 4. You only ski with your partner? Skiing with others, expecially those that are better than you, provided they are sympathetic to the fact, can be really great - and a good pusher.

Sorry, I can't recommend specific clinics but hopefully some food for thought.

Do you only ski on piste? What makes you uncomfortable, when do you lose confidence?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
moseyp wrote:
@Grizzler, why don't you try adult race training at Chill Factore

IMO, racing and training indoors in the UK has become too specialized. There is the expectation that everyone will be using really short skis and courses are set to match this, when I'm watching indoor races I don't see people developing skills that they can use outdoors.

I also feel that I can't justify paying £50 for each session but I'm probably not part of the target market, other people may feel that it is good value.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the skills that one gets from gates & related training can be transferred to anything. In particular for Grizzler, the lanes are closed and you ski without having to consider anyone else skiing across your line (in theory!). The coaches are usually the same coaches so you get some consistency and long term development.

Price can be a lot though yes, I would agree
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@moseyp, I stand corrected, I will hand back my coaching licence.
snow report
@rjs, ?!
snow conditions
@sazza42, I'm not sure I totally understand why you need an instructor to be stretched - although thinking back, "directed" stretching with noticeable improvement at the end was pretty rewarding, so yes, maybe...
latest report
Grizzler wrote:
If I can ask a related question, similar to the OP's - what do people think about the use of indoor snowdomes for 1:1 lessons (private, coaching, external companies). The conditions are not always that good, to say the least, they can be busy and hard to take good or pre-planned lines/corridors on and of course they've very short. I've had a few good coaches or instructors inside in the past few years, but mainly not so good - seems a lottery, and you can't pick, choose or stipulate - so it has also often seemed like a waste of money. (I'm up North, Manchester snowdome currently, and things further south are not really accessible to me.)
However, as soon as I recover and restrengthen sufficiently from my knee injuries I want to go and get some serious technical learning in, in order to assist my confidence, technique and control and to ensure that I'm fully happy on skis (and which ones) and board before I spend money on the real stuff abroad (assuming that I can get travel insurance for a year or 2 anyway). I want to study and improve turn shape, size, release and exit points, varying terrain control, ice, steeps, etc - everything, basically, to make me a much better skier (and boarder - but that's at a much lower level currently) and enable me with confidence to get off the dratted crowded, idiot-strewn runs and onto perhaps more technical slopes (i.e. steeper, more hardpacked, other...). More scared of other people than I am of my own abilities...
I can't see that this type of training would really easily be gained inside, but a dome's obviously more accessible than overseas and I don't ideally want to leave it until precious holiday time (and Mr G boards) to try and get a good instructor (again seems often a lottery but prehaps easier?). So would it be worth it indoors? I think by the time that I get ready and safe to ski - late summer to Autumn minimum, maybe later - the main external course/instruction providers would be over.
Cheers.

Some people say they are only good for early learning, others disagree. I've seen some reports of people saying Inside Out at Hemel has been really good for them. Personally I can't justify the expense. Although again, some people say you can get good deals if you are savvy.
snow conditions
Quote:

@sazza42, I'm not sure I totally understand why you need an instructor to be stretched - although thinking back, "directed" stretching with noticeable improvement at the end was pretty rewarding, so yes, maybe...

I find that if I ski on my own, I just bomb about, practicing stuff I've learned in the past & don't stretch myself. I also tend to ski well within my limits now I spend most of my skiing time with a more cautious skier. This is OK, but I know I've got more in me!

Also, because of a couple of confidence knocks recently, I now feel that I'm actively going backwards rather than forward. I need a kick up the bum combined with learning better technique. I don't want to be one of those middle aged skiers who just gently pootle around and are happy with just being an OK skier.
ski holidays
@Grizzler, sorry I realise that is f all help really... eek!
ski holidays
Quote:

Thought No 4. You only ski with your partner? Skiing with others, expecially those that are better than you, provided they are sympathetic to the fact, can be really great - and a good pusher.

This is spot on! All my progress in the past has been in groups - watching what others do well & what they don't. I think my main problem is all the small group lessons I've had recently I've been the best skier so haven't learned much or been stretched at all. Last time I made good progress in a group lesson was in 2009, although I do remember not being able to get up out of deep snow for laughing too hard on the off-piste day!

Quote:

Thought No 3. One week a year (6 days) isn't going to make it easy to progress. Is there anyway you can increase the frequency/amount of skiing you do?

This is very true, I'm a strictly one week a year skier & that is as much as I can manage with regards to time & money. I'm thinking of having some dry slope lessons over the summer though. That's how I started back in the eighties, although it might be hard going back to plastic.
latest report
Quote:

sazza42 wrote:
Thanks! The Inside Out course is exactly what we need, but every week they have isn't a week we can do unfortunately.
Sorry that the dates don't work out for you. We will be shortly confirming another course in the Italian Dolomites, 11-18th March, in case these dates worker you.

I'm definitely keeping my eyes on the Inside Out website as one of those weeks would suit me perfectly I think - and they were recommended to me by people we met skiing this year. I like the idea of the group learning & having other people to ski with (and the Italian food if I went for that week!)
snow report
Buy new skis? Toofy Grin

I'm only half joking. I had a few scary moments a few years back. Being in my late middle age, I didn't hesitate to dial back the terrain I ski. My rational being I can enjoy skiing without scaring myself silly.

It turned out, my boots were a little packed out, and my skis were too short for my skill level. 2 years later, that became very apparent so I got new skis and tighten up the boots with some inserts. All of a sudden, my skiing got a lot better! Very Happy

With better control of my skis, what used to be scary isn't scary any more. What used to be marginally in-control is now totally in control. A lot of skills I used to be able to do sort-of-kind-of, I can now do it precisely, and it works a whole lot better! Very Happy

It may not be fore everyone. But do think about your equipment while you're thinking of your technique, especially boots.
snow conditions
@moseyp, actually, I'd love to, and want to, was asked/recommended to at CF, know some of the coaches, have seen some sessions & drills etc ( and I do have race SL skis already). Trouble is, they only do it weekday evenings and it's just not possible for me, time-wise, distance, driving etc. If they did a day session, I'd already be in there like a shot snowHead (knees permitting).
ski holidays
@abc, agreed. Good (and appropriate flex and fit) boots improve your technique (and speed, if that's a good or bad thing) no end.
Skis ditto - but get them wrong, in so many ways, and they can really hinder confidence too, especially IME on icier/harder slopes. OK, a lot of that is technique and experience and skill too, so back to the OP's question...
latest report
Oh I wish I could blame this on equipment! Sadly I think the blame lies firmly on my shoulders rather than the skis...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy