Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meals to make on ski trips

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I spent this winter in Austria and tried to make as many of my own meals as possible to save money, but found that I ran out of inspiration fairly quickly... there are a finite number of times a man can eat chilli back to back!!

Can you share your own favourites for making on a ski trip? I suppose the criteria are: relatively easy to make, relatively cheap, easy to keep for another day! If can provide the recipe or a link to one that would be awesome snowHead.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rholligan,
Do you have an oven?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rholligan, are you catering on your own, or with others? I often buy a chicken and we eat it roasted on day 1 with mash or roast veg. Add left overs to a curry or a savoury pancake filling the next day, then make soup with the bones and a pack of stew veg on day 3. Add a plate of meat or cheese to day 3 for a more substantial feast. I'd make a bolognese sauce with the mince first, then convert leftovers to a chilli the following day.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rholligan, a slow cooker can be a great bonus - 10 minutes putting something together in the morning (browned cubes of beef, bag of prepped veg, stock), left on 'slow' or 'low' all day, and you come home to a very tasty hot meal; fab for cheaper cuts of meat (I think they're actually better cooked this away, than more expensive cuts). If you have a store of dried herbs and spices, so much the better. Any left-overs can be blitzed to make soup, or frozen for another day.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 17-05-17 14:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rholligan, alpine food - staple number 1 - from Haute Savoie

Sausages and lentils - all in one pot - as long as it takes to cook the lentils

Onion thinly sliced
Two large tomatoes quartered
1 pack lardons
Eight small pork sausages or whatever sausage you can lay your hands on
250-500 grams green/brown/puy lentils
1 glove garlic sliced
1 large knob of butter
Olive oil
Black pepper - mixed herbs (optional)

Soften onions in plenty of olive oil, put in lardons, put in sausages, turn over on heat for 5 mins and make sure onions never brown; then everything else in; cover lentils with boiling water. Simmer until done. Stirring so it doesn't stick.
Everyone loves this and all visitors ask for it again. And again.

Remember - keep ski trouser vents open the following day.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Montana, +1, although that is always my intention, but I prefer to spend the extra 10 minutes in bed. By then hubby is raring to hit the slopes, so it is usually back to the apartment at 4pm to prepare the dinner which then goes in a low oven, which I am fortunate enough to have.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wot @Hells Bells and @Montana said. One of my staples is ratatouille, which is good either hot (to go with the roast chicken first time round, say) or cold (to go with cold cuts, of whatever description). And can be the main attraction for any weird vegetarians. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thai pork mince https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1761635/thai-pork-mince- assuming you can get all the ingredients

Pork fillet is pretty cheap in France, roasted with roast veg

Roast chicken, in Cham anyway is cheaper to buy already roasted

Marinade chicken (or really any other suitable meat) in curry (of any sort, Indian or Thai) out a jar, cut with a little oil - fry or bake. Or use the curry mix to make curry.

Thai curry of any sort if you can get coconut milk.

Couscous out a packet with added pepper chunks (pre-softened) is a 5 minute veg and goes with anything, really.

Spanish stew with merguez, chicken and beans.

I need to stop now.

How you ran out of inspiration beats me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When we took the caravan I would often leave jacket potatoes in my crockpot whilst we were out skiing so that our then small children could at least have a cheesy potato before they immediately fell asleep lol. For us, and as they got older, I would fry some meat, strips of duck/steak/chicken etc and add some salad.

The more up to date version of this in apartments we have stayed in recently is a raclette. If the apartment does not have the machine many food shops have free hire when you buy the cheese. I usually serve it with boiled potatoes (never bother to peel them) and strips of meat to cook on the top hotplate, or cold cured meats, pickles and bagged salad.

Laughing All that lovely cheese and I can`t actually eat it rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Curry, lasagne, coq au vin. All stuff I did this year. Took own spices but bought everything else there. Fresh coriander available in little spar , and the cheeses are superb for making proper lasagne.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tartiflette - plenty of simple recipes for it online
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gröstl is quick/easy/popular
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@HammondR I'm looking for ideas for next season, so not sure about an oven... I am going to err on the side of caution though as this year I only had access to limited kitchen equipment.
@Hells Bells great thinking to do the bolognese first and chilli after!
@valais2 Sounds great and thanks for venting advice Twisted Evil

Thanks to others for replies, getting a nice list put together!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Def 2nd slowcooker I use mine all the while for Boeuf Bourguignon, Navarin of lamb and Diots Savoyard.

Others I do are: Blanquette of Chicken or Pork or Veal or Salmon (when reduced); Sweet and Sour Chicken or Pork (with jars of Aigre Douce); Pasta with various sauces; Various Risottos; huge pans of ratatouille which lasts several days (more so in summer when aubergine, etc are cheaper).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[b]@Chamcham[/
That's why I asked about the oven. 1 tartiflette every 2 weeks. Big portion will do 2 people for 2 meals, and perhaps some cold in your packed lunch.

Best recipe I have found is the one in the Guardian.
ski holidays
When I seasoned the last thing I wanted on a night off was local "delicacies". There's a limit to the varieties you can make with ham, cheese and potatoes wink
latest report
@under a new name, even not 'seasoning' you tend to get sick of it, as it will be on offer at least once or twice on the mountain each time.
latest report
Shepherd's pie (make one at home, freeze it and dish up on night one).
Roast chicken.
Pasta with left over chicken, beans, peas, pine nuts, pesto (or lardons as the meat)
Stir fry with left over chicken- veg of choice and a good stir fry sauce.

Lime and ginger chicken-
1-2 chicken thighs/drumsticks per person. (Avoid chicken breasts...the bones add flavour and keep the meat moist). This is basically a Nigel Slater recipe if you want to look it up, but minus lemongrass.
For 4 people-
Make a marinade with the following:
Juice and zest of 2-3 limes. 4 spring onions (or a couple of red onions) slices or chopped.
One red chilli finely diced.
3 garlic cloves, chopped.
2 inches of fresh ginger grated/finely chopped.
About 4 tablespoons of runny honey.
Seasoning
Mix these together - should make a nice colourful slush. In its raw state it should taste sweetish but tangy.
Take your chicken thighs and cut slashes into the top, place in an open oven dish and slosh the marinade over the top.
Ideally prep in the morning, stick in the fridge while you ski and let the marinade do its thing.

To cook...oven on about 180deg. Possibly add a little drizzle of additional honey on the top just before it goes in oven (no lid). Cook the chicken for about and hour in oven until the tops of the thighs go a nice golden brown. Serve with rice and veg. The sauce is yummy over rice.

Have another great recipe for a beef and ginger stew which is another slow cooked number and very tasty and warming (not got recipe to hand here, but dead easy). Let me know if it sounds interesting and I'll find the recipe. Basically-dice stewing steak, tossed in flour with ground ginger, fried off till brown Then add a couple of tins of chopped tomatoes, plus a few other bits -memory says spoon of brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, slow cook till meat falling apart (3 hours min). Serve with mash. Yum!
latest report
Shepherd's pie (make one at home, freeze it and dish up on night one).
Roast chicken.
Pasta with left over chicken, beans, peas, pine nuts, pesto (or lardons as the meat)
Stir fry with left over chicken- veg of choice and a good stir fry sauce.

Lime and ginger chicken-
1-2 chicken thighs/drumsticks per person. (Avoid chicken breasts...the bones add flavour and keep the meat moist). This is basically a Nigel Slater recipe if you want to look it up, but minus lemongrass.
For 4 people-
Make a marinade with the following:
Juice and zest of 2-3 limes. 4 spring onions (or a couple of red onions) slices or chopped.
One red chilli finely diced.
3 garlic cloves, chopped.
2 inches of fresh ginger grated/finely chopped.
About 4 tablespoons of runny honey.
Seasoning
Mix these together - should make a nice colourful slush. In its raw state it should taste sweetish but tangy.
Take your chicken thighs and cut slashes into the top, place in an open oven dish and slosh the marinade over the top.
Ideally prep in the morning, stick in the fridge while you ski and let the marinade do its thing.

To cook...oven on about 180deg. Possibly add a little drizzle of additional honey on the top just before it goes in oven (no lid). Cook the chicken for about and hour in oven until the tops of the thighs go a nice golden brown. Serve with rice and veg. The sauce is yummy over rice.

Have another great recipe for a beef and ginger stew which is another slow cooked number and very tasty and warming (not got recipe to hand here, but dead easy). Let me know if it sounds interesting and I'll find the recipe. Basically-dice stewing steak, tossed in flour with ground ginger, fried off till brown Then add a couple of tins of chopped tomatoes, plus a few other bits -memory says spoon of brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, slow cook till meat falling apart (3 hours min). Serve with mash. Yum!
snow conditions
Cous cous and quinoa are very easy and healthy, mix it up with some lime juice or garlic butter, cucumber, peppers & red onion. Eat with salmon or chicken - both 20 minutes in the oven

Fresh pasta and gnocchi if you can get it in your supermarket, add Gorgonzola or Parmesan. Fast and simple

Vegetarian lasagne, throw in aubergines, peppers, squash, tomatoes, zucchini, carrot, onion, garlic, mozzarella. More prep and takes longer, but you can make plenty and reheat in 15 mins in the oven

Soups if you have a blender, can be frozen
ski holidays
If you have access to a freezer, buy a copy of 'The Curry Secret'. It will show you how to make a curry base sauce, it's a bit off a faff but will provide enough sauce for approx. 6no. curries that serve 4, so 24 portions. Once you have the base sauce made, every curry only takes about 15mins to make. The recipes are in the British curry-house style (which explains why, when you phone for a takeaway, every curry-house in the UK says- it'll be ready in 15mins).
Only problem is you might struggle for some of the spices in resort?
snow report
rholligan wrote:
Hi everyone,

.. there are a finite number of times a man can eat chilli back to back!!

Cook up the basic mince - Shepherds pie day 1, add stuff and make Spag bol day 2, lasagne day 3, add chilli day 4
ski holidays
My apartment has a tiny Belling oven, a small microwave and two hot plates, but I also have a slow cooker and pirrade machine (pirrae mahines can be rented from the resort shop for very little any way). Some of my staples are very similar to what others have described.

1/ In the morning cube 600gms of stewing steak, 3 or 4 smallish onions and toss in slow cooker with 200 gms mushrooms a whole bottle of cheap red wine a stock cube and some mixed herbs. Go skiing. Later chop up some potatoes and boil unpeeled, nip to shop and see what veg is available. green beans, frozen spinach or tinned mixed veg will go fine. Cook veg, mash taties with some olive oil, season everyting to taste and serve.

2/ for each person chop 1/2 onions, garlic and mushrooms, season, place on foil and add some olive oil, a chicken breast on top. Wrap tightly and place in oven for about 40 minutes at 180. The timing is not critical cos the foil seals in the liquor from the onion and effectively braises the chicken. Add veg and carbs of choice.

3/ As above but instead of chicken etc use spring onions, ginger and salmon.

4/ Since French supermarkets have much better fish counters than in the UK. I will sometimes call into the Super U in Bourg and just see what is available. One of the advantages of Les Arcs is that the funicular connects to Bourg. Fish is usually very easy to cook. One favourite for a starter is to lash out and buy some St Jaques and fry these in olive oil with a bit of garlic then serve on slices of fresh bread.

5/ Though the pirrade machine is straight forward (you can even buy little bottles of the sauces in the resort shop) one that did work for us was the cheese fondu. After heating in a pan we use the slow cooker to keep it liquid. At this point I felt very proud of myself (or should I say ashamed) anticipating that ordering differing abouts of different cheeses in a small deli in St Martin may present difficulties for a non French speaker I asked a friend who claimed to speak French (I am ashamed to say that I do not) to come with me. By the time he worked out the correct grammer I had somehow by pointing managed to make the complete order and paid for it. The shop staff did not speak English and not a single English word left my lips. They just knew exactly what I was after.
snow report
Quote:

French supermarkets have much better fish counters than in the UK

So, Lobster Thermidor then?

I confess I have not been brave enough to buy a lobster in our SuperU yet...

P.S. Pierrade is teh hot rock you are talking about (and Braserade is the table-top hot grill)
ski holidays
@under a new name, Thank you for correcting my poor spelling. I appreciate it. I suppose the pierre bit should have given it away.

Quote:

I confess I have not been brave enough to buy a lobster in our SuperU yet...

They put rubber bands over the claws
snow report
@johnE, even so, it's the boiling alive that gets to me.

I'd have to ask my wife nicely to do it for me.
snow conditions
Swiss Soupe de Chalet makes a pleasant change from the usual round of spagbol etc. and is topical and very filling. If you over-produce, it keeps for a few days. Also nice and easy to reheat if you get back from a hard day and want something straight away. ANd vegetarian, so should suit everyone.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/recipes-betty-bossi-1.html

The page has a downloadable PDF version of the recipe. Instead of the kholrabi, I use broccoli, which I prefer for both colour and texture.

I get coloured pasta spirals which again, makes the dish more colourful.

I also add red beans in salt 400g tin, in addition to the butterbeans.

And this is a very thick version (all that cream!) so I use about half the amount of cream, and double the volume of vegetable stock.

You don't have to use Gruyere but I thnik it's best, although I sprinkle with the very dry Gruyere salé, as it's easily available locally.

Overall, worth trying out ahead of your trip a few times, to see which proportion of ingredients suits you best. My wife prefers it a bit thinner, so as well as reducing the cream down to just 50g (if at all), I add more (1L) vegetable stock. So my Recipe now is

1 tbsp Butter
150g leeks
1 red onion
1/2 small broccoli
2 carrots, thinly sliced londitudinally (more interesting than chunks)
1L vegetable stock
75g Pasta Spirals, coloured
400g tinned red beans, drained
400g tinned butterbeans, drained
2 tsp milk (slowly - this can mix rather oddly and coagulate into clumps)
50m cream (but up to 200 if you like it, which I do!)
100g baby spinach (or ordinary spinach if baby not available, just slice leaves in half)
50g grated Gruyere - mix in
Yet more grated Gruyere to pile on top
pinch nutmeg, pepper

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 18-05-17 12:30; edited 7 times in total
latest report
@LaForet, that sounds lovely
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LaForet, It does sound nice.

Continuing on the soup theme. My wife bought the ingredients from home and cooked this one one night.

https://www.eatingthaifood.com/tom-yum-soup-recipe/

@under a new name, I misread your post as
Quote:

I'd have to ask my wife nicely to do it to me.

It worried me.
ski holidays
@johnE, Laughing Laughing
snow report
rholligan, over in the Apres forum there is a sH recipes thread. They might not all work for a ski hol with limited cooking kit but you might get some ideas there.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1045739&highlight=recipes#1045739
ski holidays
I'm a bit confused what the difference is for cooking on a ski holiday and cooking at home... have I missed something?
latest report
flangesax wrote:
I'm a bit confused what the difference is for cooking on a ski holiday and cooking at home... have I missed something?
For me it's a question of maximising time on the slopes. I don't want to be spending too much time shopping (especially) and cooking, when I could be skiing (or indulging in après wink )
ski holidays
@Hurtle, precisely
latest report
@flangesax, boiling veg takes longer.

And you want something tasty that doesn't take a lot of time or effort to cook.

This could make for a less boring round in masterchef: the contestents have a short time in the morning to nip out, get breakfast and some food for the evening in the resort shop. They must ski hard all day and in the evening with a limited budget and time they have to prepare a meal with the limited facilities in a typical apartment. They also have to do the washing up. They can use my apartment if they wish and I will be the judge.
ski holidays
There's also the issue of limited budget for many seasonnaires, lack of catering equipment, and only a small supermarket for supplies. If you are on your own it is harder to buy smaller quantities of stuff if it is prepacked. Which is why I made my suggestion for for spag bol then chilli. You could put a shepherds pie into that mix too.
snow report
Lobster Thermidor is a useful standby, or perhaps stuffed pigs trotters.
ski holidays
Going back a few years before the dominance of supermarkets I remember that in the UK butchers were seperate from pork butchers and was told that in France they were called boucherie and charcuterie respectfully. Are they still separate shops in France?

So @T Bar, where did you get your pigs trotters? The last ones I found were in an aformntioned pork butchers. For the record they are not worth eating, in my book on a par with tripe.
latest report
@johnE, I think the message may have been a little confused. As far as I know, boucher is simply a butcher. A charcutier takes butchered meat and makes it into products e.g. sausages, dried meats, patés, etc. But often all in the same shop. Maybe you'd have distinct ones in e.g. Paris.?

Not to be confused with the Boucherie Chevaline which does horse meat (sometimes beef and bison, etc.)...
snow report
johnE wrote:
Going back a few years before the dominance of supermarkets I remember that in the UK butchers were seperate from pork butchers and was told that in France they were called boucherie and charcuterie respectfully. Are they still separate shops in France?

So @T Bar, where did you get your pigs trotters? The last ones I found were in an aformntioned pork butchers. For the record they are not worth eating, in my book on a par with tripe.

Properly cooked tripe is lovely, can be a bit chewy if not done properly.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy