Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Magnum iSS, Hero Elite, Redsters, other..?

Poster: A snowHead
Just a thought - and a very initial one - whilst it occurs to me.
Was last year drawn towards the above skis, in the shorter radius versions where applicable, for on-piste use. Seen reasonable to good reviews, at snowdome met people of both genders of around my ability level (or within my practical aspiration) who are very happy with them.
Only seen the Reds or HEs available for hire, each just once in different countries.
Aware also that the Reds & HEs come in many various guises, presumably aimed at different skills/users.

Any feedback, experience, suggestions for alternative similar skis? (Would be in the 150-155 region, SL rather than GS radius.)

Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have Head world cup rebels which are OK, I skied Redster double decks at Easter and loved them.

I'm big and heavy, like stiff things Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dynastar Speed Zone 16.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any "detuned" SL race skis would ski reasonably the same.

Buy any at good prices.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
Any "detuned" SL race skis would ski reasonably the same.

Can you elaborate or suggest examples please? Detuned SL was exactly what an alpine instructor recommended to me a couple or years ago, but I'm still trying to establish exactly what it means - except somewhere between my current intermediate + piste skis and my full race spec SLs Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Grizzler, Most of the skis you list are in the category of "detuned SL", the Head Magnum is slightly outside this.

If you already have FIS SLs though why not use them ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Grizzler, as far as I can see, most manufacturers have 3-4 levels of SL and GS ski (obviously only one level for SG and DH).

FIS compliant as close as you can get to the full on FIS race ski without being factory provided (and there are grades within this that we don't need to worry about). Often not terribly easily available in common shops, depends where you are.
"detuned" - reasonably similar to the FIS model but softer and more forgiving but often with similiar graphics
"carver" - softer and more forgiving still and often different graphics

Rossignol have a "Masters" ski which is kind of a SL/GS cross I think mainly aimed at the US Masters race market. Haven't noticed these elsewhere.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FIS reg is just a full on race ski, there's no levels of FIS legality

@Grizzler, what make & type are your current intermediate piste skis, and what are your FIS SL's?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
Rossignol have a "Masters" ski which is kind of a SL/GS cross I think mainly aimed at the US Masters race market. Haven't noticed these elsewhere.

All brands do something similar, they are also used as skier cross race skis.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah the Magnum looks to be a sort of hybrid GS "Carver".
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rjs, I think he means it's specifically aimed at the masters market, whereas say the Head version (while a great ski for masters racing) doesn't call itself Head GS Masters or whatever
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@moseyp, There is also the Fischer masters GS ski and Atomic/Salomon ones that are also promoted as masters/skiercross skis.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rjs, oh I didn't know that, thought it was a clever move by Rossignol
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@moseyp, yep, but only cos the Rossi site says, "The new HERO MASTER is a super-charged Masters GS racing weapon."

If it was being marketed as a skicross ski, it would presumably say that... (Fischer's site doesn't mention cross at cursory glance either...)

I thought "cross" skis were just re-graphicked GS?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was looking at stockli and as I remember they do SL, GS and RS inbetween - intermediate radius basically. Strikes me that for piste use rather than real racing RS is a better bet for most people.
latest report
@jedster, I've never tried the RS, although Stöcklis SLs and GSs are lovely.

I had dinner once with the chap who tests Stöckli's race skis and decides which racer gets which ones.

A level of ski feel that left me in awe.
ski holidays
What's RS is that the Laser SC?
snow report
@moseyp, oops. Yes.

RS of course is more typically e.g. used by Völkl and other Germanic types for GS (short for ReisenSlalom).
snow report
I haven't skied the SC but I tried Stoeckli GS skis before and found them a bit stiff for me. Really liked their slaloms though
snow conditions
@moseyp, It was a good few years ago when I last tried them, but I just liked both. Very nice skis. But Stöcklis invariably are.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@moseyp, It was a good few years ago when I last tried them, but I just liked both. Very nice skis. But Stöcklis invariably are.

And eye wateringly expensive! There's a Stockli shop down the road from us and I'd love to give them my business but you're looking at well over 1000chf's for skis and bindings ☹️
ski holidays
@BobinCH, that's rather more than I paid for my Blizzard Marker rig!
snow report
@moseyp, @rjs, current piste and race SL are both old (ish) Elans. SLs are really bit too thin waist & probably bit too 'race-ish' (not the words that I really want!) for what I'm after for on-piste general use, though it had occurred to me if I could cope with them as an 'everyday' piste ski - maybe I can..? TBH, not had a chance to get fully acquainted with them yet because of the injuries, bought them just to play on inside.
Also have some nice Scott AMs, but just a bit too wide for what I'm after as an all-round pure on-piste ski.
snow conditions
@Grizzler, are you maybe over-thinking all of this?

Just sayin'
snow report
sorry yes - SC not RS. Think another brand uses RS for their SL/GS compromise?

I agree about stockli pricing! Problem is they are handmade in Switzerland - never going to be cheap.
The only pair I have I bought in 2005 and were £500 ski only then. In fairness I still use them a bit and love them so VFM has been perfectly sensible.
I'm a bit split personality between loving a bargain and paying up for a high quality INVESTMENT. Do more of the former but TBH my best buys have been the latter... I think if my stocklis die (use them has my hard piste skis) I might well push the boat out on some Laser SC.
snow conditions
@under a new name, Over thinking? Moi? Nah... wink

Actually, over-thinking what? Which skis I want to buy next? Upgrading? Expanding my quiver? Then we're all a tad guilty of that, aren't we? snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy