Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids Ski Racing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So junior has just turned 7 and joined the UK local race club. I know nothing about racing and very little about skiing.
So I'm just after some of your experiences of what I have to look forward to over the next number of years, both the good and the bad.
From my first impression the training looked well organised and I can see it improving his technique, especially as it fills in the 8 month void between ski trips. However I also envisage that travelling the length of the country to attend a race, waiting around all day, for less than a minute of action may become a bit of a chore.
Beyond that I have no idea about the time commitments, costs etc. so would welcome any feedback.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a really fun sport. The races are, to an extent, what you make of them. Learn the various roles (starter, marshalling, gate judge, timing etc) and help out, chat with other parents (it's a small sport so the same people will be around all the time) or prep skis and kit. Meanwhile, the kids basically go feral and race around the tress etc with the other kids.

The sportsmanship is normally very good (tho the parents can sometimes be troublesome!) and the kids always have to shake hands at the end of our head to head and team races before they can leave the slope.

I sometimes join in the training - it's really excellent for technique and makes you realise just how good you have to be to race fast.

You'll become acquainted with premier inns all around the country...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
at that age the training is the best part, theres no need to be traipsing all over the country. You will find a continual drain on your wallet as they tend to keep growing !! most clubs will operate some sort of buy/sell/swap for race kit and theres no need to buy new as theyre lucky if they get 6 months out of it, especially boots as their feet grow.

What part of the country are you in?? there are a few 'summer race leagues' around which are a fun way of racing, we are off to Gloucester tomorrow they get two time runs and then three head to heads over the day and its all part of a 'team' event so loads of banter and loads of kids the same age

good luck!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cost at Snowtrax is about £40 to join the club, £200ish for an annual lift pass then about £4 a training session to cover coaches twice a week (a little extra if you hire equipment as well).

Races are about £10 to enter, then you NEED to spend about £20 on sweets, £20 on chocolate, £20 on fizzy drinks ... wink

Our summer season this year is 2 races a Southampton, 2 at Aldershot, 1 at Bowles and 1 at home. Bowles needs a hotel, the others are just early starts.

Several of the better kids are up and down the country every weekend. You do have to be dedicated to race in Manchester when you live in South Dorset snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies. He has joined Hemel and he really enjoyed his 1st training session. I'm not too worried about the time/cost requirements at the moment, but I'm sure both will increase considerably by the time he's a teenager.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi folks, I hope you don't mind me dragging this forum back rather than starting a new one!

Can you please advise me on what age clubs start taking children in the UK? Or even just group racing lessons without competitions? And are there any trial days available before commiting? We live a days travel from the nearest club, so really anywhere in Scotland would be ok.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The youngest with us start about 4. You get 3 free sessions before you have to join the club.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, Bearsden start at 6 years old for the race development squad and 8 for the main squad. Trials are usually in August. See link https://www.facebook.com/BearsdenRacing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cairngorm Ski Club take them at 8. Occasionally 7 if they know the child is resilient and of the required standard.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Think I will post about the Race Training and other stuff we have set up in Les Arcs for English speaking kids here in this thread. That way all the info is in one place.

Here are the details:
We tried it this season and it seemed to work quite well. For next season we are just setting up the groups now that want to Alpine Race train and also train to take part in Freeride, Slopestyle and Big Air Comps. There will be U10, U12, U14 and U16 groups if numbers work out. The kids will do a mix of alpine racing, freeride, slopestyle and big air. The best way to develop young skiers is to do a variety of stuff on all terrains. Every tried racing deep ruts after 100 runners have gone before you. It is just like skiing on cruddy snow off piste. Should be lots of fun and interesting to see how it develops.

The Aim: Although the primary purpose is to provide training for English speaking owners kids in or around Les Arcs / Bourg Saint Maurice that come out regularly to Les Arcs. If spaces are available then those just wanting to join for a week can do so. It is very laid back and stress free. Just get the kids to the meeting point. Let the Instructors do the work and pick them up again at lunch time. There will be a full day each week, but that will be planned with the Instructor once the groups are formed and dependent on conditions at the time.

Instruction: The programme will be run by International Diploma Ski Instructors, Freeride / Slopestyle Pros and organised by the parents themselves.

As for Competitions: It depends on the how well the kids develop and what the coaches recommend. Some will enter the British kids races again next winter and hopefully qualify for Etoile dor and maybe Coq dor through the ESF. Each week as part of the training programme the kids will take part in the Fleche (GS) and Chamois (Slalom) plus freeride and park comps whenever possible. Also there are some Skicross races and Freeride comps in the area that kids can take part in. Loads of options, but nothing set in stone yet.

Safety: Helmets and Back Braces are compulsory at all times for kids when taking part in any training. Other safety gear like guards etc for slalom or other protection for Big Air etc will be discussed with parents once the groups are arranged. For any off piste skiing all kids must wear Arvi safety gear and older kids must carry shovel and probes. ABS bags are encouraged, but not compulsory.

The cost: It will be similar to ESF group rates for 5 or 6 half days including one full day.

Adult stuff: In the past we have even organized parents and adult race training and freeride off piste groups whilst the kids are having their group lessons. This could be done again if there is enough interest.

Getting in contact: Anyone interested in joining us needs to send me a PM for more details either here or over on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page.

You can also read details on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page once the link to the training page goes live. For anyone wondering. I am not doing this as a job. Just setting it in motion then letting the parents run the admin so that I can get back to my freeriding.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Hope you all find this helpful.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy