Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer trip to Chilie nex year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All .
Im looking to go to Chile next summer for my 50th birthday treet. Can you give me any tips on organising it myself rather than going on a package deal.
Cheers in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This might help (definitely worth speaking to someone at LUEX too - I no longer work there): http://www.luex.com/magazine/2015/06/29/where-to-ski-in-south-america-and-how-to-get-there/

You could also try posting this in the trips and resorts section rather than the recovering from injury section. More likely to get useful advice there wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Day tripping out of Santiago is trivial, there are a couple of companies based in Las Condes (I used http://www.skitotal.cl/programas-ski/) which runs day trips up to Valle Nevado and La Parva. The company I used also rents equipment, and they spoke reasonable English.

I've only ever day tripped in Santiago, but colleagues who live there told me that accommodation up in the resorts was surprisingly expensive.

Day tripping at the weekend is not advised due to traffic.

If you want to combine it with Argentina, skiing around San Carlos de Bariloche is very scenic. I did this for a few days some years ago with minimal effort, just booking accommodation turning up and renting skis on the spot.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try getting in touch with John Biggar. He seems to know Chile better than anyone. And is a real nice guy.

http://www.johnbiggar.com/world-ski-mountaineering/chile-ski-mountaineering.asp
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@LeglesWonder, What exactly are you wanting to do there, and for how long? Me and one or two chums are planning for Chile in 2018 for 4 to 6 weeks, largely touring and ski mountaineering, with a few ales in Santiago should the opportunity arise. Seems it will involve donkeys, but in a good way.

If this sounds anything like you, feel free to get in touch either to meet up or share what we have gleaned.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@LeglesWonder, all depends on how long you're going for. For a couple of weeks you'll probably want to go to Tres Valles, Portillo and Nevados de Chillan. If day-tripping to Tres Valles, best to stay in Las Condes, which is close to the foot of the mountain road. As rdonalds mentions you can use Ski Total or Ski Ahorra who will collect you from your hotel and depart from the hill at 5pm. I prefer using Ski Ahorra as they're a smaller outfit and collect fewer guests each day. This can become tedious if you're doing multiple days but staying at Tres Valles can be expensive and there aren't many places. There's a hotel at Valle Nevado that caters mainly for Brazilians on week long package deals. I can recommend a place called Powder Lodge in Farellones, which is close to El Colorado and La Parva. Cristan, the owner will provide a lift each day to either La Parva or Colorado but won't go to Valle Nevado, it's further away. Will you be hiring a car? At Portillo, there's a hotel or a cheaper lodge but I think they only do week long deals. If you have transport, you can stay in Los Andes (hotel Inca is nice) and ride up to Portillo each day. There are two hotels at Nevados de Chillan, in the ski area. Or you can stay at one of many places in Las Trancas but transport to the ski area can be tricky if you're not driving.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 18-05-17 19:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@LeglesWonder, I'd recommend switching this thread to a more relevant section of the forum.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy