Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Italian equivalent

Poster: A snowHead
After three fantastic years skiing in Saalbach one of my mates has dropped a bombshell and said he fancies a change. I like the look of Italy and I'm wondering what resort is the closest in terms of the bits of Saalbach that we like...

Gentle pistes
Enough to keep a lazy skier interested for a week
Few or no drag lifts
Good / cheap mountainside restaurants
Under 2 hour transfer
Decent bars

We'll probably go end of Jan so the resort doesn't need to be snow sure. Happy with DIY or TO. Budget <£900pp (H/B but excluding life passes).

Of course, we might just "bin him off" and return to Saalbach without him!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never been, but from what I've heard Sauze d'Oulx might tick the box from an apres/nightlife point of view.

From a gentle piste, good food, short-ish transfer and decent bars (but not Saalbach-lively) point of view Cervinia is worth a look. I loved skiing in the Dolomites, but it is fairly quiet nightlife wise, I think Selva is probably the liveliest.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The simple answer is that there isn't a Saalbach equivalent in Italy, but there are a few resorts which tick a number of the boxes. I think @hammerite, has picked the two which tick the most. Sauze is best for nightlife, has plenty of kms. There were a few drags when I went, but that was some time ago now and they've had an Olympics there since then!

Selva was the one I would say is nearest in most ways: loads of kms, traditional feel, great restaurants, good lift system, under 2 hours from Innsbruck (but beware, not all TOs fly there). Unfortunately nothing like as lively as Saalbach, but a few decent bars nonetheless. I would recommend it for a change of scene.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sauze does have a few drags, or Sestriere more, but I have been late Jan twice in last few years and cannot praise the place enough. Great food on slopes and reasonable prices, snow has been excellent, but most of all slopes quiet and Phenomenal! The Olympic run into Sansicario and Gran Pista in Sauze are just the most amazing runs and the Ghost bar is excellent. Everything I read about the Dolomites is positive but I would happily revisit Via Lattea over and over again. If DIY to Sauze I recommend Roberto Vitton at Sauze taxi for transfers and Eydallin Sports for ski hire
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Champoluc/Monterosa might fit the bill?

Gentle pistes - mostly red markers but really mostly blue motorways
Enough to keep a lazy skier interested for a week - only you can decide
Few or no drag lifts - not one that I can think of
Good / cheap mountainside restaurants - yep
Under 2 hour transfer - depends on which airport you fly in to
Decent bars - only you can decide but there are a number of them, never impeded us.

We have availability in our apartment w/c 13 Jan if of any interest, details here http://bit.ly/2reOplO
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
Champoluc/Monterosa might fit the bill?

Gentle pistes - mostly red markers but really mostly blue motorways
Enough to keep a lazy skier interested for a week - only you can decide
Few or no drag lifts - not one that I can think of
Good / cheap mountainside restaurants - yep
Under 2 hour transfer - depends on which airport you fly in to
Decent bars - only you can decide but there are a number of them, never impeded us.

We have availability in our apartment w/c 13 Jan if of any interest, details here http://bit.ly/2reOplO

You are doing a good job of selling resort.

After many years skiing in Austria 🇦🇹 I would love to try Italy 🇮🇹 and this ticks a lot of the boxes.

Just wondering what are the nearest airports.

Also are the snow making facilities good.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@2waterford, Turin & Milan closest airports

You shouldn't need artificial around there in late Jan. Only thing it doesn't tick in your criteria is decent bars - the place is dead at night

I would say it's a better option than Sauze though if you're more concerned with snow reliability than apres or bars

You could loOk at Cervinia too? Has everything on the list but cheap, it's not exactly cheap. Or Livigno, if you can extend the transfer time
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@moseyp, you haven't visited the Golosone then have you, nor Pachamama...

It's not at all dead, but in fairness it is not throbbing like e.g. Val d'espair.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tbh we dont actually ski in saalbach but in a place called lofer about 30km away amd night life is pretty dead so night life is bottom of the list
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@2waterford, then you'll like Champoluc
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
moseyp wrote:
@2waterford, then you'll like Champoluc

Thank you and just checked Ryanair fly Dublin Turin

Actually flight gets in around 8pm, how is the drive from Turin airport at that time of night
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@2waterford, it's grand, on the autostrada most of the time. tolls are a bit of a pain but not too terrible from turin. you can look them up on the website http://www.autostrade.it/it/home

there's also a bus but not sure if you'd be arriving a bit late
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
moseyp wrote:
@2waterford, it's grand, on the autostrada most of the time. tolls are a bit of a pain but not too terrible from turin. you can look them up on the website http://www.autostrade.it/it/home

there's also a bus but not sure if you'd be arriving a bit late

Thank you, will be picking up carhire, my husband doesn't really do public transport snowHead just about does a ski bus
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
actually i don't think the bus goes up that way. driving tolls about 25 each way it seems
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

in a place called lofer about 30km away amd night life is pretty dead

The night life in Lofer was pretty lively in "Where Eagles Dare" - it was used for the village scenes. Smile
latest report
+1 for Monterosa/ Champoluc.

We stayed in gressoney in January, which is pretty quiet, but central in the resort. Imagine Champoluc is a bit more lively as it more compact and seemed busier when we went there.

Skiing in resort is great, very high, good conditions and food is amazing. Don't miss Frantzer!
snow report
@tjgadd18, Champoluc isn't exactly lively, as such, I'm not sure the Pachamama bar (jailbait) runs late anymore and the days of my wife, her siblings and cousin coming in straight from the nightclub, somewhat over-refreshed and heading straight up the slopes are long gone.

But there are a handful of decent bars. And some excellent restaurants.
latest report
The Via Lattea would take some beating, as said.

Sauze if nightlife is important, or over the hill in Sestriere, bit quieter but enough going on. Probably be going back sometime in Feb '18

Late Jan you could probably do it for around £600, or less, with a TO.

Or the Dolomites but depending on exact resort may be more than a couple hours transfer.

Not sure how the compare to Saalbach, never been, but I'd guess they fit your other criteria.
ski holidays
Selva is probably the liveliest resort in the Dolomites with a German/Austrian vibe to the apres, quite a few watering holes, but maybe not as crazy as Saalbach.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy