Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chile trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
I am planning a trip for two months starting in August. Has anybody been to Termas de Chillian? As accommodation is cheaper in Las Trancas it is my plan to stay there. From research that I've done it will be best to have my own transport. A car at least and preferably a 4x4. Any advice would be welcome.
Regards
ThomasP
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great little area - skied there in 2005 as part of a road trip with a US operator (Casatours).

Slow lifts (inc what must be the oldest (wooden) chair you will ever ride - if it's still there...) but some good (very quiet in late August) runs and decent off piste. We had a guide and boot-packed up a smoking volcano for a brilliant off piste descent on spring snow. An amazing experience.

We stayed in Las Trancas at some cabin-type accommodation, which was great. Our place had a wood burning stove - someone came in early every morning to light it while we slept. Very cosy.

Not a lot at Las Trancas - in fact there was nothing there in terms of amenities. We did spend an evening at a place called Mission Impossible Lodge (for food & drink), where we also went in a hot tub. That was a bus ride away - laid on by our tour operator. And we were just up the road from a lively pub - which IIRC was the only one around. Very international clientele - Europeans, South Americans, Aussies and Americans.

At the ski area, there were natural hot springs, which were exclusively for guests of the posh ski area hotels. We managed to get in though (can't recall the detail of that....), go in the springs and have a hot mud wrap (Mrs MA's idea...I've never had the desire to have another one since... rolling eyes)

We also skied Portillo and the 3 Valleys near Santiago. Also spent time at markets, vineyards (hic... Laughing ) and in Santiago and Valparaiso. Happy memories of a brilliant trip Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hello,
Thanks for the info. Heard there is not much in Las Trancas. One pub is good though. Least I should find some buddies easily. I am thinking of hitting a few of the other Chillian resorts on my way back to Santiago. Sounds like you had fun. Given me a few ideas for my trip so thank you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers ThomasP.

We loved the overall Chilean/southern hemisphere ski experience - it was scorching when we left home & 2 days later we were skiing powder. Amazing.

Best skiing was at the 3 Valleys - purely because it is so much more extensive than the other areas we skied and because we had powder there. Oh and the sunsets were amazing! We travelled up from Santiago on day 1 then stayed at a cheap hotel in El Colorado. If you drive up to the Santiago ski areas or to Portillo, you may need chains. Our driver did. The road is amazing hairpins to all of those resorts but is easier (IIRC) to Chillan.

We only did a day trip to Portillo and didn't stay there. Probably didn't make the most of it as we stayed on piste (didn't have a guide) and it's renowned for its off piste. Still enjoyed it and the lake is spectacular. Very interesting to try out the unique drag lift that virtually catapults you up the mountain...

Santiago is worth a couple of days, as is Valparaiso, which has a laid back seaside vibe.

Chile's a brilliant place Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Keep us posted on your plans.

Here's the MI Lodge website: http://www.misnowchile.com/hotelmilodge/en/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ThomasP, so what's your thinking for Chile? spend all your time at Nevados de Chillan? what if the snow is better at the three valleys?
are you ski touring? just piste skiing or mix of on/offpiste? boarding?

A 4X4 rental for Nevados would be expensive day to day, so almost what you save on the on mountain ski-in/out accommodation you'll spend on the car & the hostel.

There are not really any resorts between Nevados de chillan and Santiago, well maybe a lodge or cat skiing operation.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hello, all good questions.
I'm boarding and will be mixing it up on the piste/off piste.
Plans are pretty open at the moment.
But a rough outline is pick up car 4x4 in Santiago.This is much cheaper than hiring from other towns. Head to Nevados for a while then work my way to Portillo for a couple of days. This would mean staying in Los Andes. I've got a stay in Farellones in mind to do the three valleys as well.
A car/4x4 does put the price of the trip up but opens my options. It means I can easily follow the snow and allows me to see Chillian life without being constrained to a timetable. Plus a plush hotel at the bottom of the ski lift isn't Chile its just a hotel.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I bussed it around when I went - August/September 2001. Actually wondered why the US clients were so quiet and not on the slopes on September 11th when I went to Portillo for the day rolling eyes

IME travelling solo with a board (deliberate choice for ease of travel) hitching was pretty easy once you got past the limitations of bus service or other guests in the place you were staying would give you a lift. Certainly was the case in Las Trancas from what I remember and Farellones (for a lift to Valle Nevado). Got rides with local truckers going to/from Argie to and from Portillo but only went for one day. Met Kaj Zakriksson in Pucon as his crew were staying in my B&B (I say would say rode with, got a few turns in then couldn't keep up)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy