Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warth/lech/zürs VERSUS Ischgl or Samnaun??

Poster: A snowHead
The background

Six of us pretty decent skiers but most of us not experts. Mostly like cruising reds and playing at side of piste conditions allowing. Long weekend in February.

The questions

[b]1. Have option short drive to lifts at Wärth which obviously opens up Lech and Zürs.
2. Have option short drive to Ischgl which has reputed skiing
3. Have option to stay next to lifts but in Samnaun - concerns are transfer time and non-existent après-Schi (not ravers but like a few beers and an early night
).

Votes please for best option and reasons for selection if you care to. Thanks snowHead [/b]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Snowsartre, We stay in Warth every year and love the place, but it is very quiet and not a cruisy resort. We go for the excellent off piste and chilled resort. It's close neighbour Lech will tick your boxes, but cheap it ain't and I reckon Ischgl would suit you better! We ski into Lech when it's quiet and good powder but i wouldn't call it a cruising piste place the same I would say Ischgl. Been there once compared with Arlberg/Vorarlberg 50+ weeks and have no great desire to return, if I was going I certainly wouldn't stay in Samnaun, it's pretty tacky and not a great place imo. I'd probably bite the bullet and stay in Ischgl itself but as I say it's not my type of skiing. Have you looked at Obergurgl or Solden? Never been but they're on my list, that said too busy in St Anton most of the time to worry about getting distracted by other places so it's going to be a while I suspect.

In summary try Ischgl I'd suggest.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Markymark29, thanks for response; how long does it take to get from Wärth to Lech on the lifts? And return? Like the sound of Wärth, but Ischgl also appealing, probably more so for the seedier group members!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lech.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Snowsartre, wot @Markymark29 says about Samnaun. It's a tax free area in the middle of the Swiss alps and consists mainly of shops selling duty free alcohol, cigarettes, perfume, whatever, plus an incredible number of petrol stations! I wouldn't touch it. Would definitely recommend staying in Ischgl instead if you want to be in that area, but my personal preference is for the Arlberg. I like Lech, but as has been said this is not a low price option!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ischgl would be my choice Great skiing and very varied night life. I have been a couple of times and would go back.

However you may find it difficult to get accommodation that is not a full week. Be prepared to stay on the wrong side of the tracks.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@TQA, Got accommodation available 1.7miles outside Ischgl on the Austrian side, or next to lift in Samnaun - how dodgy can Switzerland be??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowsartre wrote:
@Markymark29, thanks for response; how long does it take to get from Wärth to Lech on the lifts? And return? Like the sound of Wärth, but Ischgl also appealing, probably more so for the seedier group members!

The main connecting lift, the Auenfeldjet, http://www.warth-schroecken.com/en/ski-area-connection.html , takes about 10min. Never actually timed it. Depending on where you are staying in Wärth, it may take you another 15 - 20mins to get to the start of the Auenfeldjet. @Markymark29 will likely be able to give you a better estimate. We stay in St Anton and go over to Wärth maybe once a week, so not area experts.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowsartre wrote:
@TQA, Got accommodation available 1.7miles outside Ischgl on the Austrian side, or next to lift in Samnaun - how dodgy can Switzerland be??
I have stayed in Samnaun as well as on the Ischgl side though in Kappl and Galtur.
Samnaun is actually a slightly straggly place with the main bit being a bit soulless but some of the other villages not bad. The one we were in was pleasantly rustic with cattle nearby.
The one thing I would say is that unless there has been a new lift put in (and they were planning one) the only lift up into the ski area had no accommodation next to it just an enormous car park.
There are a couple of nursery lifts in one of the bits but watch it if these are the lifts next to your accommodation they will be of no value to you unless you are a beginner and connect to nothing.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ulmerhutte, [pedant], it's Warth, not Wärth [/pedant]
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Steilhang, you're right. It is Warth. (And it is... Schröcken). My bad.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd say Ischgl based on your requirements.
You might struggle to get accommodation for just a couple of days though in Ischgl itself
But outside of Ischgl should be ok as you've found.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Try the Kirchwirt Apartments for sub-week in Ischgl (better known as Kiwi apartments) http://www.kirchwirt-ischgl.at/. Not stayed their myself but we made friends with a group who were doing a part-week staying there in mid-March 2016.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snowsartre, Warth (Steffisalp) to Lech 40 mins, 3 lifts and then Auenfeldjet, really pleasant skiing. Quicker if you were staying near Salober. Its easy to get over to Lech from Steffisalp for 10am and ski over there until 15.30 in deep winter but you don't want to miss the return, very expensive 3 hour taxi ride!

The beauty of Warth is the accessibility to untracked powder compared to busier places in the Arlberg, and the off piste is very accessible, and relatively tame compared to the rest of the Arlberg, but some big stuff if you know where to go. Its a gem, we love it, almost like skiing 25 years ago and very quiet in general, although the Auenfeldjet does bring additional folks over but they seem to ski a couple of runs and head back. The runs down to Schroeken are fantastic and the off piste down there equally brilliant, totally unspoilt and loads of wildlife about, Gams/ Ptarmigan etc. Not much après ski though, we head round to St Anton for that the week after - its a fast return to reality once you hit the busy St Anton having had a week in Warth....!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mjit wrote:
Try the Kirchwirt Apartments for sub-week in Ischgl (better known as Kiwi apartments) http://www.kirchwirt-ischgl.at/. Not stayed their myself but we made friends with a group who were doing a part-week staying there in mid-March 2016.

I stayed in these apartments a few years ago. Nice owners, always reserved a table for us downstairs. Nice and clean, but can get very icy outside! They do bread deliveries in the morning.

Bells from the church can be loud if you're a bad sleeper.
snow conditions
We found the new piste down to Schröcken terrible. Partly boring, partly unpleasant, and a poor skibus from the 1980ies to bring you back to the skiingarea...
snow report
@Langerzug, Each to their own, for me its part of the appeal that it IS like skiing in a bygone era, no gapers or bling littering up the slopes with their Spyder, Kjus and leapardskin Bogner gear. Truly unspoilt unlike much of the Lech/ Zurs circus over the hill. No champagne bars either......just steep powder and nature.
snow report
@Markymark29,
We like the antique Falkenkopf too (and we don't like champagnebars either) but the piste to Schröcken (not the route) is actually brandnew (two years), and not a very sensible additition imo.
snow report
@Langerzug, Yes Falkenkopf is a great lift and opens up loads of drop-off opportunities beneath, and lunch stop by the lake is fantastic. The new long run down to Schroecken is quite steep in places and a bit of a roller-coaster but done immediately after 30cm or so of powder it takes on another dimension I'd really recommend that if you haven't done it, hop the barrier and get down there if closed. If open there's absolutely loads of variants on way down and the imbiss after the meadows and by the bus stop is a nice place to have a coffee.....I don't really see what's not to like but hey no worries.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy