Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 17/18 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
can anyone point me in the direction please for the graphs for livignio? Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
harrymac wrote:
can anyone point me in the direction please for the graphs for livignio? Thanks in advance

This should be it:

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.5&lon=10.0
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nozawaonsen I'm just getting into this forecasting. It looks to me like the current weather pattern is due to -AO rather than -NAO. Is my interpretation correct?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Could someone please also point me in the general direction of a reasonable forecast for Flims/Laax Switzerland (arriving 21st)... great advice as always from 99.9% of the forum Wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@alansk, thank you!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@CH1975, we certainly don’t currently have a -NAO. It’s been relatively positive recently which would be in line with the strong jet which delivered the wild and mild weather at the western end of the Alps over New Year. On the other hand AO has been negative which I suspect would be consistent with the cold weather in parts of the US. That said I‘m certainly not an authority on the subject!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Fruity, try this

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/cmc_display.php?lat=46.8&lon=9.3
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some very chilly temperatures starting to show up on 12z GFS around 20 January.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nozawaonsen, still seems to be looking snowy from 16th in northern alps or am I misreading something?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS, yes and ECM on side this evening too. Also looking cold round 20 January too.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@nozawaonsen, thanks m’dear as always
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
First snow showers look like arriving on Sunday for the southern end of the French Alps.

This is how GFS 18z would see it by the end of Thursday.

Worth noting that areas that have been hit relatively hard recently look like being the focus again though with much lower snow line.

http://youtube.com/v/89mVQhJ_rrk

Snow in the northern Alps would continue into and through the weekend falling at low levels (though not currently forecast with the same intensity of either of the recent big falls). So potentially some snowy transfers and snowy Hahnenkamm.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hope the Hahnenkamm isn't too snowy and gets cancelled. Course is apparently in its best condition for years and years Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don’t imagine that another metre of snow right now will be too welcome in resorts struggling to fully open ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
robboj wrote:
Hope the Hahnenkamm isn't too snowy and gets cancelled. Course is apparently in its best condition for years and years Very Happy
... or the start is lowered again ... we demand a proper race!
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:
First snow showers look like arriving on Sunday for the southern end of the French Alps.

This is how GFS 18z would see it by the end of Thursday.

is that showing decent snow for the Scottish Western highlands as well?? and maybe the pennines (Starts to try and plan a trip next week....)
snow conditions

EC looks good for next Wednesday's event.
It's talking 50-75cm as the General snow accum for the Swiss & French Alps, with a followup event on the next Thursday, Friday and Saturday. That looks good for Austria, particularly on the Saturday, but that's a fair way out.
ski holidays
@Jellybeans1000, anything in the models for livignio please? Thx
snow conditions
My first post Smile . Hi there!

Heading out to Peisey-Vallandry next week - looks like a lot of snowfall (50-75cm over the course of a day) is due mid-week with some high winds. Is that type of forecast likely to be problematic for skiing? This is only my 3rd time so I'm still not that well acquainted with what a forecast translates to on the mountain.
snow report
@adamtaylo, potentially high winds can close lifts, and large amounts of snow can close some pistes (due to them having to do avalanche safety work). Really hard to say how much snow is too much and the same with wind speeds. They do try and open and keep open all that they can safely do so. Surface drag lifts can often run in higher winds.

If it's windy and snowy, visibility can be bad so a good tip is to try and ski tree lined pistes.
ski holidays
Ok cool, thanks @kitenski. Peisey-Vallandry has quite a few tree lined runs as I understand, thankfully.

Here's the forecast I was referencing: http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Peisey-Vallandry/6day/top .

75kmh winds Shocked
ski holidays
@adamtaylo, I wouldn't worry about forecasts that far out Smile but also check it's much lower wind speed forecasted lower down the mountain....
latest report
Good point @kitenski, I was only looking at the top. Keeping fingers and toes crossed!
snow report
The one day, one day I say, a season I want sunshine... is looking pretty reliably like snow. (The Inferno).

I'll be slower than usual then...
ski holidays
Could someone give me a link to charts for Val d'Isere and Tignes please? Arriving on 20th...
latest report
http://greghilton.co.uk/snow_forecast/gfsruns.php?select=valdisere

latest report
THis is how GFS wouldsee snowfall out to next Thursday night.

Some very cold charts cropping up in FI.
snow report
@nozawaonsen,

I don’t understand all these charts, but do understand asking you what it will be like in Saalbach next Friday 19th when I arrive is too far out, however does your quote ‘this is how GFS would see snowfall out to next Thursday night ‘ mean any new snow in Saalbach ?

Thanks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ribblevalleyblue, Its not that its too far out from an availability point of view but is from a reliability point of view. As a poster says on another website says about weather 'anything beyond T120 (120 hrs or 5 days) should be treated as JFF (just for fun)' thats not entirely accurate from a scientific point of view but from a self preservation from disappointment angle its probably wise?

This link is the current GFS 10 day meteogram for Saalbach which shows the data in a more recognisable format. Make sure you have the latest version from the '00 06 12 18' coloured numbers under the word run and most recent by date. What is currently showing is the beginning of todays 18z (6pm) output as it rolls out but it won't show the full 10 days of data until around 11pm tonight. The most recent complete run is todays 12z (noon) output so on that page click on the number 12 (highlighted in blue) and it will show you what the output of the data run at noon today was. Make sure the selected 'city' shows Saalbach.

So to answer your question, as GFS saw it at noon today, yes, there would be snow for a few days, from about mid-day Tuesday with Thursday afternoon and Friday seeing the least.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?model=gfs&lid=OP&var=93&bw=&geoid=2558
snow report
@ribblevalleyblue, there should be fresh snow for Saalbach later next week. Heaviest snowfalls look like being further west, but still looks like snow across much of the northern Alps. This is GFS out till Friday lunchtime.

Snowfall amounts on the northern side of the Alps is now looking heavy enough to cause problems in exposed parts of the western Alps next week with some potentially very strong winds. Worth keeping an eye on because the combination of heavy snowfall and strong winds would significantly raise the avalanche risk and potentially lead to lift closures. Some very cold temperatures cropping up for the following week.
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
@ribblevalleyblue, there should be fresh snow for Saalbach later next week. Heaviest snowfalls look like being further west, but still looks like snow across much of the northern Alps. This is GFS out till Friday lunchtime.

Snowfall amounts on the northern side of the Alps is now looking heavy enough to cause problems in exposed parts of the western Alps next week with some potentially very strong winds. Worth keeping an eye on because the combination of heavy snowfall and strong winds would significantly raise the avalanche risk and potentially lead to lift closures. Some very cold temperatures cropping up for the following week.

Might make my imminent trip to Tignes interesting.

Looking at the UK side of things, is this suggesting something like 45 cm for areas like Nevis and Glencoe in the next 7 days?

Or am I reading this wrongly
snow conditions
@nelly0168, you are reading it right!
ski holidays
No let up on 00z by the looks of it??
snow conditions
@FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS, do you mean 06Z? Yes it's looking very tasty for the north and west. Hope there are a few moments of calm amidst the maelstrom for those involved to enjoy whatever is delivered.
ski holidays
Yes, sorry.

I’m taking a good book! Might get my tax return done too. wink
snow conditions
well well well

I'm off for a long weekend skiing with the boys on the 19th
Could be epic
Think hiring a 4x4 octavia could end up being a brilliant call Very Happy
snow report
First post here. Long time listener and always been a big fan of the show wink
Forecast looking increasingly positive for my once a season trip, this year to La Plagne next weekend.
Any idea what the charts have in store going out into fantasy island past next Sunday? Will the snow stop with the high pressure above Greenland and the Azores meeting up??
ski holidays
Normally the forecast for snow later next week and over the weekend of 20th Jan, with freezing level at low altitude, would fill me with joy as I am planning to be in the mountains - at 1400m in St Martin de Belleville (so Tarentaise) until 21st Jan. However, I HAVE to be home in the UK by 21st Jan, and currently have a flight booked that day. Am concerned that the predicted weather and snowfall, especially the potential quantity, might cause chaos/close the road down the mountain, as well as flight disruptions at GVA. An even in the days before I am due to leave, the potential to ski may be scuppered again by high winds and avalanche risk.

Am I being a big wuss in bringing forward my return date? I know it’s a bit too soon to be certain, but things are definitely looking stormy until Friday as far as I can see.
latest report
Looks like the worm has turned for the West Coast of NA. Or, maybe the worm just rolled over in his sleep...Most PNW ski areas received about 8"-16" past 24 hrs. Mostly heavy, wet snow, and right around the 4,500' level, which is about base level for most ski resorts. Appears that the 7 day forecast is indicating a train of storms starting next week. They have been showing up on both the Euro and US weather longer range models with consistency the past few days. Still a week out, but the storms stacking up off the Pacific, are just waiting for instructions from Mother Nature to start moving in around Wednesday/Thursday. This includes Northern California and the Sierra's which did get brushed with some moisture the past few days, and snow at the higher elevation above 8,000'. CO and UT should see some weak storm activity mid next week, the potential for stronger storms rolling in later in the January 19-21 time frame. We shall see.
ski holidays
@wintersoldier17, too early to say at this stage though it does look like there will be some cold temperatures around 20 January.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy