Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 17/18 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Mark1863, haha.

It has certainly been a season with an epic quantity of snow. Skiing fresh powder tracks in Chamonix on March 31 desn’t happen that often snowHead Cool
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And fresh powder this morning in meribel too.. 1st April. Beautiful.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's not April yet
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
peanuthead wrote:
It's not April yet
wishful thinking?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
peanuthead wrote:
It's not April yet

Posted on sunday 1st april at 05.21

Errrr... ok.. Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh yeah
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am relaxed. Just being mischievous. Finishing up with 2 weeks in Espace Killy from next Saturday. Glad to hear snow falling again!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So starting to pay attention to the forecasts now as heading out to the 3V on 10th April, looking at GFS it appears to be suggesting a brief warmup, then a cool down before a warmer period out until 9th/10th April when the models seem to agree less and less (not surprising really!)

That about right, I think ECM seems to have it a bit cooler on the 9th onwards.

I realise it's ages away, but hey, it passes the time and part of the holiday is trying to work out what the weather will do for me! Don't actually care what it does, will enjoy the sun and classic spring skiing if that is what happens!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chamonix Meteo for next weekend .

• New high cell getting up to the Alps, with an African component high up, should at last put an end to that everlasting winter.

Sounds like they are pleased
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Temperatures dip at the end of the week with snow falling to relatively low levels on the northern side of the Alps before spring conditions really look like taking hold bringing much milder temperatures and sunshine next week.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nozawaonsen wrote:
Temperatures dip at the end of the week with snow falling to relatively low levels on the northern side of the Alps before spring conditions really look like taking hold bringing much milder temperatures and sunshine next week.

Totally unrelated to weather but I couldn't skip this one Laughing Brigitte Bardot once stated that one of the reasons she initially liked Günter Sachs (with whom she later married) was that they both turned up once with the same Rolls Royce. I presume this is the one Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Odysseus, good spot on Bardot! No idea who the Rolls belonged too!

Here’s high pressure building on ECM12z bringing settled and mild conditions.

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Period round 09/10 April might bring some interesting weather across. The Pyrenees in particular could see a spell of colder than average temperatures for April. Still some time off mind you.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen wrote:
Period round 09/10 April might bring some interesting weather across. The Pyrenees in particular could see a spell of colder than average temperatures for April. Still some time off mind you.

Was just noting the GFS runs showing something worth keeping an eye on!! Need to keep my Easter powder record going Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Driving round Grenoble today back from UK temp 24.5 (guys cycling in summer kit) and going back over Lautaret +2 and sleet and very dank in Serre Che valley.

La Grave was so quiet...

Really do hope Spring happens next week!

Was meant to be with a guide and a mate this week but family issues meant I could not - and the guide said to my mate conditions for today and tomorrow were not worth him coming up from Turin, maybe Thurs and Fri things might improve.
snow report
Going to Va D'Isere on Sunday for a week, the last 4-5 years and April has been lovely and warm and the conditions on piste fantastic. This year looks like it will be snowing and possibly raining in resort, will be keeping an eye on it so I know what to pack, warm or dry clothes
snow report
So much rain across the Alps this year.

Perhaps record amounts.

Been a crazy season.

Very warm weather coming to the European Alps in the next week or two.
latest report
So much snow across the Alps this year.

Perhaps record amounts.

Been a great season

Spring temperatures as expected
snow conditions
He just can’t help himself. Smile

How can you be so negative about everything.
ski holidays
Not just negative but incorrect, as there's been hardly any rain above say ~1500m.

It would be correct to say there's been a huge amount of precipitation this winter.

Temperatures look broadly above average in the Alps over the next two weeks. Hopefully the freeze-thaw cycle will finally start to kick in properly and allow some good/safer touring conditions.
snow report
Snow-forecast was forecasting rain in Avoriaz this afternoon, but in reality what came down was white and snowy - conditions are fantastic!
ski holidays
@Alpinebear, @musehead, @Whitegold,

I ski between 40/45 days a season in the French alps mostly in or around Ste Foy ,which is 1550m , for the last 10 years or so .

I can confirm it has been a crazy season , whilst there has been near record levels of snowfall I have never seen so much rain during the season . On three occasions I have seen a 40cm dump destroyed by a day of rain to high levels interspersed by very cold days . On the other hand a cold and mostly sun free March we have the best Cover I seen at the start of April . It’s certainly not been normal or consistent .
snow conditions
@Rob Mackley,

Been a poor season weather-wise. Hardly, if any, periods of settled weather.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:

Very warm weather coming to the European Alps in the next week or two.

He's right, except that it's been warm since a couple of days. Conditions are almost spring-like here.

Who knew?
latest report
@Rob Mackley,

Didn't we have 6 days of continuous sunshine in March?

@snowheads68,

Poor season? The snow has been and still is great.
Probably one of the best seasons ever.
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
Driving round Grenoble today back from UK temp 24.5 (guys cycling in summer kit)

ah yeah, that was probably me Happy

although insane foehn the last couple of days and that's going to continue Sad
snow report
@Tignes addict,

I said weather, not snow.
snow report
@Rob Mackley, Where I work in Auris/Alpe d'Huez we haven't had the problems you have had in Ste Foy with rain destroying 40cm dumps at altitude.

It's been a great season for snow for the resort.

This morning there has been another fresh covering from 1600m plus.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can’t say I‘ve particularly noticed substantial amounts of rain instead of snow this season.

And I have been in the mountains (mainly in the eastern Alps) since autumn.

Mind you different people will doubtless have had different experiences.

Would agree with @snowheads68, that it has frequently been unsettled.
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, perception, of course, being everything, ... we seem to have had a lot of rain in Chamonix, especially early season when you would normally expect snow to lower levels. My perception is that there's been a sort of "unofficial" 1,500m limit around the haute savoie, that would in "normal" years sit more around 1,200m.

But I have no data wink just anecdotes.
snow conditions
@under a new name, certainly early season particularly in parts of the western Alps when it was terrifically stormy (round New Year) you had very heavy rain at higher than normal altitude and of course extremely heavy snow above that.
snow report
@nozawaonsen, it may just be that (as I am usually only there at weekends) the locals are colouring the season by a few episodes of rain. They are vertainly complaining about the length of the winter!
ski holidays
Looks like a retour d'Est coming Sun/Mon/Tues
ski holidays
Down here in Serre which is obviously a lot further South than the vast majority of resorts we've had an exceptional snow season, according to locals some of the biggest snow accumulations that they can remember.

Think there must have been a handful plus of "Retour Ests" when you only usually get a couple in a season.

We had some rain, but not too the extent of those resorts further North. For sure there were a a couple of exceptional days where it rained and a couple of freaky days when it was raining here at 1,400 yet snowing further down the valley at 1,200m.

The only thing really missing now is a period of fine bright sunny days and overnight freezes, we have all that superb snow cover and we're now impatient for Spring snow, and looking forward looks like yet more unsettled weather rolling eyes

Yesterday it was indeed grim, raining all day in the valley and we were walking home circa midnight and were drenched in heavy wet snow.

But then this morning.................................

latest report
@Weathercam, nice, is that a piste judging by the markers ???
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@Weathercam, nice, is that a piste judging by the markers ???

It is the Isolée - not so much a piste but a sector / itinerary accessed by a ski/pole along a ridge from the top of the Eychauda drag - you can usually manage to do two or three runs before the hordes work it out, then you have to go a little further along the ridge, as in the first picture where you can just about make me out.

And was looking at my "diary" (Strava) last night, 40 days where I have skied powder so far this season, 46 if you include Japan, and there's been a fair few days where I have not been too bothered to go up eg rain in the valley, like day before yesterday.

Would say a pretty exceptional season.
snow report
@nozawaonsen Leaving for La Rosiere on Sunday for a week and the weather seems to be warming. Hopefully not too warm for freezing at night so that we can have a nice freeze/thaw cycle and some good spring corn off piste.

What are your thoughts ?

Thanks in advance.
snow report
What do the models suggest for the 3V over the next week? Would one of the experienced chaps on here care to interpret them to those of us in Val Thorens for the Spring Family Bash?

The Meteo France app is suggesting thunderstorms and rain early/mid next week with a v. high snow/rain level. Eek!

Thanks very much, in advance.
snow report
I see it cooling down to average temps 10th onwards with warming up above average 14th with precipitation around. I’m not experienced enough to call the freezing level!!

I have some info all on one page here

https://greghilton.co.uk/snow_forecast/gfsruns.php?select=la+tania
ski holidays
Ouch. Mega Foehn here this morning. All lifts shut 😱
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy