Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 17/18 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Any serious breakdown in the coming high pressure looks like being towards the end of the month.

Meanwhile...

Snow out to Monday night.

Currently rising through the golden trees into the snow line.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@red 27, I thought ensembles was the term for the model showing all of the squiggly lines? Embarassed
What's the term for an individual squiggle? Event?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think each squiggly line is just a 'forecast' based on the different models being presented in the ensemble.

Of course there might be a technical term used for the line itself but it's not one I've come across myself (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This may help
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Next weekend‘s weather being driven by position of this low.

06z GFS sees it digging further south which produces more cold and snow. Other runs have it further north with high pressure in charge.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fingers crossed
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
12z GFS grinds the low across the top. It‘s messy and though it would bring a lot of wet weather, particularly in the western Alps the snow line would be high.

http://youtube.com/v/BZMepnUqpo8

It does eventually crash down at the end of the month (which a few FI runs have done of late).

Meanwhile it’s been very chilly at Planai, sun broke through later. Good grippy snow to mid station (1350m).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Southwest Russia getting its first big fall of the season.

Sochi due 50-100cm.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nozawaonsen, said
Quote:
Meanwhile...

Snow out to Monday night.

Just noticed you can embed an animated gif for that chart, if you click on the little <gif> symbol, then "Générer" - pretty neat Toofy Grin

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@geoffers, nice. Had seen the gif symbol but hadn’t bothered to figure out how it worked. Cold in Schladming this evening.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@geoffers, That is very cool
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowing down to at least 700m at present in central Austria.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great big fat snow flakes falling now.

ECM has next band of cold weather coming in Sunday week. GFS not till the end of the month. Take your pick...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll take ECM thanks.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
High pressure will build over Greenland this week.

This sort of blocking can often produce colder conditions over Europe, and lead to cold air racing south, but as @langball, said a few days ago high pressure is sitting over Europe and that wins out in the coming week. Should be sunny, but will see a thaw with the snowline rising to above 2500m. How long it lasts is the key.

Meanwhile there is a blizzard outside the hut I‘m in so I‘m off to play...
snow report
Snowing in Innsbruck this morning - ~600m.
snow conditions
The Alps may be seeing a repeat of last year.

Strong early snow, followed by heavy melting and / or dryness.

Next week will be very hot in the Alps for the time of year.

Innsbruck will see 10-15c.
snow report
Bloody hell!

Half empty etc....

and I thought I was a pessimist......................
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
The Alps may be seeing a repeat of last year.

Strong early snow, followed by heavy melting and / or dryness.

Next week will be very hot in the Alps for the time of year.

Innsbruck will see 10-15c.

Exaggeration... Milder temperatures (10c max) will be short lived (from Wednesday till Saturday) and it seems that from 25.11. there will be much colder again with new snow showers.
ski holidays
Its just clearing the road so I can get to the apartment next weekend and get my spikes on before it snows again Toofy Grin
latest report
Looks like my pre-Christmas break to Gressoney wasn't the best choice Sad
snow report
tccambs wrote:

Waaay to early to even think that - unless you are going this week?
ski holidays
robboj wrote:
tccambs wrote:

Waaay to early to even think that - unless you are going this week?

No, 16th Dec. Just getting depressed looking at the snowy webcams in Austria and France and the lovely rocks at the top of the Salati pass.

[/img]
latest report
@tccambs, if your main motivation is off piste ... who knows?

Otherwise, if it’s nice and cold they’ll have the guns running for a Dec 1 opening (it’s busy-ish that weekend). And you have 4 weeks to go...
snow report
I'm a pessimist.

I've bought a transceiver, shovel and probe for a 16th Dec trip. It was always tempting fate.
ski holidays
@tccambs, it is very optimistic to expect good or even possible off piste that early in the season.

But hey, it might be epic.

And worst case... Italian mountain lunches in the sunshine. We should be in Champoluc (snow permitting) weekend of the 9th and I’ll post pix. Whether of snow or an epic lunch remains to be seen.
latest report
GFS 12z has a week of warmer than average temperatures before cold weather and snow returns from 30 November.

Onbviously a bit far out, but the suggestion of a return to cold weather after a warm spell has been fairly consistent.

So. If that happened it would be another repeat of last year wouldn’t it! Er. No. Of course it may well yet turn out that way. But there is little to suggest it will at this stage.

Meanwhile lots of fun blasting through fresh snow lying to low levels today at Reiteralm.
snow conditions
GFS 12Z not good for the short-medium term Sad
This Met Office chart is much nicer snowHead
Over to you ECMWF 12Z

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Checking the ensembles the warm up until Friday is nailed on but some disparity is evident for the weekend with a reasonable number dipping back down to seasonal average temperatures. (Swiss northern alps)
Then a trend away from the persistent high pressure option. @Whitegold, your thoughts on that please?

latest report
Boom! ECMWF 12Z goes again for cold+snow. Let's see how GFS 18Z responds to that hefty right hook.

latest report
00z GFS and ECM both now see cold and snowy weather arriving in the Alps this weekend after what looks like being a relatively short mild spell in the coming week. Not unhelpful in some ways as it will consolidate the snow pack. GFS keeps the cold weather around for much of its run, but obviously I’d urge a little caution there.
snow report
06z GFS has a mild week coming up from tomorrow, with plenty of sunshine.

But by Sunday cold and snow returns and GFS keeps that in place till early December (though that’s too far out to take especially seriously).

Snow till next Monday on GFS (I suspect this will shift a fair amount).

latest report
EC 12z looks really nice.

EC Model Snowfall out to 10 days (30-60cm)

The main system that looks to produce 10-25cm across the Alps next Sunday/Monday

Then there is another system set to create up to 40cm of snowfall across the Alps on that Thursday.
snow report
So, i take it that most believe that the mild spell wont have much negative impact, and especially not given the expected cold snowy weather next week?

Anyone with a good idea about how conditions are building up around Chamonix? Going there week 4 and 5!
snow report
@staffsan, 4 and 5 next year?

Like 10 weeks away?
latest report
@under a new name, yeah, why? I realise forecasts now cant say anything. Just interested in how early season is getting on there! Smile
snow report
@staffsan, It's too soon to tempt fate. I'm trying to not get excited Toofy Grin
latest report
@esaw1, i know, its just hard not to! Especially given recent snowember conditions and the fact that ive got a fairly new pair of all mountain skis!

But on the other hand, all skiing is good skiing. Apart from slush moguls, those are just the worst. And i guess they wont be around in January anyway Smile
snow report
@staffsan, Sounds as though you'll have fun anyway what ever the conditions.
In my humble opinion I reckon that the worst case scenario is the cannons will cover the pistes. Sneaky feeling is that there might be a lot more going on. Enjoy the new skis Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
@staffsan, slushy muguls are 3rd best after 1st over the head powder and 2nd corn snow.

Seriously, while the current covering might have something to do with the snow at the end of January, it might have nothing to do with it at all.

And we won't know in the positive direction pretty much until then.

So far all we know is that there has been a little snow (more than a little in the Vorarlberg f'rinstance) and it's been reasonably cold (although it's warm today and tomorrow).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy