Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 17/18 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.sion.ch/webcam.xhtml
This is Sion tonight - height 550m....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Extracts from this evening’s SLF outlook for Switzerland [my bold]. Worth noting how the likely temperatures change from north to south.

“Observed weather on Sunday, 10.12.2017

Following a night of predominantly clear skies, precipitation set in rapidly from the west during the early morning hours. The snowfall level ascended to nearly 1000 m by afternoon.

Fresh snow

By Sunday afternoon, the following amounts of snowfall were registered:

in the Valais not including the valleys of Visp and not including the Simplon region: 15 to 30 cm;

in the western sector of the northern flank of the Alps, in the valleys of Visp and in the Simplon region: 5 to 15 cm;

in the other regions of Switzerland: less.

Temperature
At midday at 2000 m, -1 °C in northern regions, -12 °C in southern regions.

Wind

Winds were southwesterly, on Saturday night and Sunday morning intensifying significantly, at midday blowing at strong to storm strength, in the alpine valleys of the north as foehn wind.

Weather forecast through Monday, 11.12.2017

On Sunday night, the precipitation on the northern flank of the Alps will slacken off incrementally. During the morning on Monday, it is expected to be predominantly dry in northern regions. In the afternoon, renewed precipitation will set in from the west and the south. The snowfall level will lie between 1800 and 2500 m to begin with. As evening approaches, the snowfall level is expected to descend significantly. On the Main Alpine Ridge and southwards therefrom, snowfall all day long is anticipated, most of it in the zone between Lukmanier Pass and Val Müstair and southwards therefrom. During the afternoon, the precipitation is expected to intensify. The snowfall level will be beneath 1000 m.

Fresh snow

Between Sunday evening and Monday evening, the following amounts of snowfall are anticipated at high altitudes:

Main Alpine Ridge from Lukmanier Pass into Val Müstair and southwards therefrom: 40 to 60 cm;

furthermost western part of Lower Valais, Main Alpine Ridge from Great St. Bernard as far as the Lukmanier Pass, western part of Ticino: 20 to 40 cm;

remaining regions of Switzerland: less than 20 cm;

in the foehn-exposed regions on the northern flank of the Alps and in northern Grisons, it is expected to remain predominantly dry.

Temperature

At midday at 2000 m, between +2 °C in northern regions and -3 °C in southern regions; in the foehn-exposed regions, +4 °C.

Wind

Winds will be southwesterly,
blowing predominantly at storm strength, reaching gale strength on the northern flank of the Alps.

Storm-strength foehn winds will prevail in the Alpine valleys.

Outlook through Wednesday, 13.12.2017

Tuesday

On the southern flank of the Alps, ongoing and intensive snowfall is expected to persist until Tuesday morning, most of which will fall in the zone between Lukmanier Pass and Val Müstair and southwards therefrom. Thereafter, it will be dry. In northern regions, skies will be variably cloudy accompanied by snow showers. The southwesterly winds will slacken off incrementally. It will again become significantly colder.The avalanche danger will remain at critical levels, particularly in southern regions in the major areas of precipitation.

Wednesday

In all regions of Switzerland, it will be quite sunny for a short interim. The avalanche danger will slowly decrease, but the situation will remain critical for backcountry skiers and freeriders.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good study this week, showing how Switzerland lost a huge 3% of its glaciers in 2017.

https://www.thelocal.ch/20171205/analysis-losing-all-the-glaciers-in-switzerland-is-not-that-far-away

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sion newspaper (Nouvelliste) reported that this last dump was the biggest in 18 years in the Valais with 70-100cm of snow in the valley.
http://www.lenouvelliste.ch/articles/valais/canton/valais-des-quantites-de-neige-plus-vues-depuis-18-ans-721706
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, wow!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
and looks like from this that Verbier was literally in the eye of the storm ❄️❄️❄️

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
currently 3.4c @2250m in Courchevel

fair bit of rain around for France at the moment before hopefully turning to snow again this evening
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Good study this week, showing how Switzerland lost a huge 3% of its glaciers in 2017.

Hmm. The percentage refers to summer ice mass loss, which is a normal annual process (though perhaps it was worse than normal last year) Switzerland's glaciers have been retreating for hundreds of years (apart from one small interlude - the so-called Little Ice Age.) The Victorian mountaineering literature is littered with accounts of how far the ice was known to have retreated at that time, 150-170 years ago. Perhaps this process has now sped up? No doubt some blame Brexit...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Excellent video on Glaciers

http://youtube.com/v/haZmBxwFa7s&t=412s
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Windy?

Try 249kmh gust recorded at Feuersang in Gasteintal at 10.10 today...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@nozawaonsen, wow! I thought it was windy here in the Zillertal, but that's crazy!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nozawaonsen wrote:
Windy?

Try 249kmh gust recorded at Feuersang in Gasteintal at 10.10 today...

Blimey. About half that here, but everything still closed.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://longrangesnowcenter.blogspot.com.au/2017/12/europe-on-long-term-11-dec.html
My first long term snow outlook for the European Alps for the season.
The teleconnections are split on a -AO outlook for Late Dec/Early Jan.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

From a skiers perspective would it be fair to summarise this as continuing unsettled with several opportunities for more snow and the chance of some heavy snow in the southern alps in particular?

(or did I just pick up the bits I like the sound of?)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you Jellybeans1000, but please could we have a glossary?

EC EPS GFS GEFS CFS MJO -NAO -AO What do they all mean?
snow conditions
@Jonpim, the first five are weather models.

MJO is Madden Julian Oscillation

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/mjo/

AO is Arctic Oscillation

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/teleconnections/ao/

NAO is North Atlantic Oscillation

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/teleconnections/nao/
snow report
Hope the mods don't mind me posting this...

I've added some new features to IcyBlasts.com which I hope you will find useful this season:

1) Hour by hour forecasts for resorts in Alps and Pyrenees which update every 12 hours. They use 0.1 degree data from the Meteo France Arpege model and should provide a more accurate view than the GFS based forecasts offered by many websites / apps.
2) New high resolution Arpege charts for Alps and Pyrenees which update every 12 hours.
3) Improved GFS charts which update every 6 hours.

All features can be accessed from the homepage:

http://www.icyblasts.com/

If you've got any questions feel free to ask.

Brian
latest report
@bwg, Can you add the Scottish highlands and English slopes into those charts at all?
latest report
@bwg, 0cm for Serre Chevalier and surrounding resorts????????????
latest report
nozawaonsen, thank you.
A further question: what is Madden Julian?
latest report
@Jonpim, it’s a weather phenomenon in the tropics which may help in anticipating medium term blocking in the northern hemisphere.
snow report
Thank you to all knowledgeable folk who contribute to this informative thread!

As a layman may I ask, although a good week away do the colours suggest warming or am I being a dunce?

Thank you!
ski holidays
@sussexmartlet, second half of December looks a bit more mobile at present. 12z GFS FI shows spells of milder and colder weather following each other as high pressure tries to exert itself over Europe. Too soon to tell at this stage however.
snow conditions
Someone clever will know how to imbed this.

Bit blowy today in Tirol...

https://www.facebook.com/BergrettungTirol/videos/1800324083375389/
snow conditions
To those surprised by the difference between Serre Chevalier and Briancon...

“Worth noting how the likely temperatures change from north to south.”
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
Thank you Jellybeans1000, but please could we have a glossary?

EC EPS GFS GEFS CFS MJO -NAO -AO What do they all mean?

Yeah I was thinking of writing one, explaining the drivers and models, etc.

@nozawaonsen's links do explain them pretty well though.

MJO correlates with a negative NAO or North Atlantic Oscillation, when it is in Phase 6. Which involves colder air for Europe, and more snow for the Southern Alps.
latest report
olderscot wrote:
Quote:

From a skiers perspective would it be fair to summarise this as continuing unsettled with several opportunities for more snow and the chance of some heavy snow in the southern alps in particular?

(or did I just pick up the bits I like the sound of?)

Yes that would be a fair summary.
latest report
Still snow to fall over the coming week in the northern Alps and some strong winds about in the west at the end of the week.

Further out high pressure looks like trying to make its way across, though the models are differing in how that might play out.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nozawaonsen, as you know I'm deeply deeply cynical of forecasts in the mountains, more specifically localised ones.

Bigger picture like your post above is probably as far as you can go.

If ever there was a day to corroborate my cynicism / skepticism twas yesterday.

Not least that on the Sunday I was making arrangements with a guide friend for a potential sortie for Monday.

He was more optimistic (lives in Briancon before going home to La Grave when lifts open) about the snow that was falling heavily all day Sunday when temps forecast predicted rain +7 actual -5 and I texted him late Sunday temps now -2 saying God still might have a cruel trick up his sleeve.

Sure enough Monday Am +2 and rain. We talked on the phone about what this would do to the snow pack in the short and long term, and decided that there will be other days.

Two hours later I drive into Briancon from here at 1,400m in the rain and 10cm puddles in the parking.

As we approach Briancon I comment to the OH that they seem to have far more snow and that indeed temps were -1 and it was starting to snow really heavy.

Briancon is 8km from me and at 1,250.

We left Briancon and hour later and I've never seen so much snow falling there and so much accumulation.

We drove home and you guessed it, was still raining and +1

My friend reckoned he had 35cm when here we had around 5cm, he was totally surprised at how this could happen!

Quite bizarre but weather is on an extreme scale at the moment!
latest report
@Weathercam, isn't that exactly what was forecast though? I don't know the area/topography, but looking at the map, while technically the difference is more west-east than north-south, it looks like Serre should be just over the north side and Briancon the south?

We also have completely different weather a 15 minute drive away over the Brenner.
ski holidays
@clarky999, rather what I was thinking...
snow conditions
@clarky999, @nozawaonsen, no way guys that was just a localised freak of nature.

I'm continually looking at three or four different forecast models for our area and no way was that difference forecast and temps were nigh on 10 degrees out on Sunday!

If so on the basis of the above chart then Monetier just further up the road would not have had the snow that they had !

I'll just return to my cynical old box if I may Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Weathercam, I was expecting from your report of the rain to have similar ones about Monetier.
latest report
@Hells Bells, exactly that's why it makes no sense.

I'm off up to Monetier now on the walking track they've made with the x-country skis to take a look
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
@clarky999, @nozawaonsen, no way guys that was just a localised freak of nature.

I'm continually looking at three or four different forecast models for our area and no way was that difference forecast and temps were nigh on 10 degrees out on Sunday!

If so on the basis of the above chart then Monetier just further up the road would not have had the snow that they had !

I'll just return to my cynical old box if I may Toofy Grin

This is not freak of nature. It was the Lombarde wind that brings colder air from Italy over the border with France just to Briancon. This is something that happens quite often dropping temparature and snow level at the borders. However the weather models have much difficulty forecasting this because they are just not detailled enough. So you don't know whether it will get to Montgenevre, Briancon or even further. Any automatic output of a model will therefore often be completely wrong especially in border areas like Montgenevre-Briancon-serer chevalier (same thing also in Haute -Maurienne region for instance). That is why you need a local forecaster who knows the area, who can use they local and historic experience to give a local forecast, and even he will often be wrong in such a case.

You happen to live in a very difficult area to forecast, as it is also close to north-south border at the col du lautaret, which is another climate border...

So no the models are not really wrong, it is our interpretation as none weather experts trying to make a forecast, that is wrong Happy
snow conditions
bart_bdv wrote:
.....This is not freak of nature. It was the Lombarde wind that brings colder air from Italy over the border with France just to Briancon.............

Thanks for that - just Googled it and what's weird is this Synoptically it is associated with an area of high pressure and cold air over eastern France and central Europe and a low pressure system of mild humid air south of Nice. Sometimes the lombarde is also induced by high pressure to the southeast of Europe and low pressure to the northwest along with falling pressure over western France. in that there was no active area of High Pressure over Eastern France or Central Europe yesterday and winds were very much S/SW'ly.....but some of the other factors were present "falling pressure over Western France"

Like you say weather models have much difficulty forecasting this

I'll get my coat
snow conditions
Weathercam, yup. And I don’t disagree with you despite you always seeming to want to imply that I do.

nozawaonsen wrote:

I wouldn't take a forecast beyond 7 days that seriously.

Computer models are good at giving you an idea of what the forecast is likely to be three to five days out (which is actually pretty amazing given the chaotic nature of weather). That said they can still be caught by surprise and accurately predicting precipitation in particular is very difficult. Although sometimes people ask what "locals" think the weather will be like, most (farmers, police, guides) will use the same sort of forecasting tools every else does. Locals don't have a sixth sense that can allow them to know what the weather will be like that others don't have. What they do have built on hard experience is a much better feel for how the weather will affect the local area and how that will change the conditions.

Here's something I scribbled down on forecasting at the end of the 2011 season. I think it still makes broad sense now.

nozawaonsen wrote:

"Looking at shorter term models like GFS etc. Beyond seven days any model is very subject to change. I wouldn't take it that seriously. You might get a trend. GFS provides a longer range, public set of ensembles than other models and these are easier to tie to location than others, but the ease of use does not mean GFS is necessarily a better model than others. To have any confidence in that trend you would want to see it picked up run after run and also joined by other models.

- Closer in GFS and other synoptic models start to be less useful in the 2 to 3 day range. Local variation will start to undermine them beyond the general trend.
- Mesoscale models like WRF may be more useful in the 2-3 day range.
- Right close in, on the day or day before for example, if I needed a good forecast I would almost always choose the local avalanche forecast for accuracy.

- Don't take it that seriously."

To which I'd add that beyond seven days you can't really talk about a forecast, what you have is a range of probabilities, as shown by the different coloured ensembles, which is almost always simply too great a spread to really call a forecast. You can't really make sense of these as a single snapshot. So you need to see how they evolve from run to run to give you a sense of whether certain options are looking more or less likley.

And to repeat forecasting accurate precipitation is very difficult (so be wary of any forecast that appears to say you will get 23.5cm of snow next Friday). Measuring how much has fallen afterwards is almost as difficult if not more so (so be wary of any snow report which claims 23.5cm of snow fell last Friday

snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, can't find a hugs & kisses emoticon Toofy Grin
latest report
The state of the West...

https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/west_swepctnormal_update.pdf

snow conditions
Much of Northern side of the Alps should see plenty of fresh snow over the next few days continuing the above average pattern of December. Maybe a drier spell and milder at times going through next week as high pressure pushes across.

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy