Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Villa/Alta Badia - good place for a half term trip?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Family of mixed abilities. Couple of us want easy blues. I want an easy life on blues and reds but won't get it because my daughter will be dragging me down reds and blacks. Not into apres v much. Want somewhere quietish at half term (17-24 Feb - which seems to "miss" Italian half term)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I Like la Villa and Alta Badia is fairly quiet, even at half term (when we went). The runs down from Piz La Ila - One is the world cup run and the other a definite red. You can always download.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alta Badia is 'Blue' heaven with the opportunity to visit other areas if you want something 'harder'
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's also a blue way back down if you don't fancy the World Cup GS run or the adjacent red, but it does have a bit of poling iirc.
As above, the rest is blue heaven.
Never been during half term, since the sH Bash is always just before that.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I like Arabba for it's easy access to the Sella Ronda and the Marmolada but it is very quiet at night. We usually stayed at the Malita.

Be aware that there is a lot of accommodation on offer under the Alta Badia name that requires a bus trip then multiple lifts to get on the Sella Ronda. Corvara is a better choice IMHO.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@TQA, thanks. I see what you mean about difficulty of getting to Sella Ronda from alta badia. We'd not be doing Sella Ronda anyway, probably just a few runs nearer to alta badia.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Trust me your daughter will want to do the Sella. It is slightly easier anticlockwise but get an early start.

Fast intermediates can do both directions in one day.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dobby wrote:
@TQA, thanks. I see what you mean about difficulty of getting to Sella Ronda from alta badia. We'd not be doing Sella Ronda anyway, probably just a few runs nearer to alta badia.

We enjoyed staying at San Cassiano for half term. Easy access for those who stick to the blues so they are happy while those who want more can easily get out of the Pralongia area and it is perfectly feasible to do the Sella Ronda from there. Also good access to Hidden Valley if you want to go do that as you can be first up to Armentarola for the bus taxi easily. If you want an early morning blast down the world cup run to La Villa then you are just 2 lifts away from it in SC.

It is a bit less well suited for getting up Marmolada as you will find that the queues for the old lifts across from above Arabba get busy by the time you arrive there, but we did it ok by making a plan and sticking to it.

Equally, Corvara or La Villa or Colfosco serve well ....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
La Villa also has good access to Santa Croce/Heiligenkreuz, see skitour La Crusc. This is definitely worth doing, especially if you have lunch at the top at the church restaurant (it pays to get there early as it's very popular). Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have stayed at La Villa at half term a couple of years back. Was great with a mixed ability group. Easy access to the Sella Ronda, Hidden Valley and Santa Croce. Direct access into the Pralongia "blue paradise" area between La Villa, Corvara and San Cassiano.

Was fine at half term - no queues to speak of, although you should check if half term coincides with Carnival, when it might be busier.

Village is quite strung out and very quiet (although nice apres place at the top of the gondola). Make sure your hotel is close to the Gondola - some are quite a distance. We stayed at the Savoy, which was fine and located just across the road from gondola station. There is another hotel even closer which we failed to get into, which looks nice (I forget the name).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rg1 wrote:
. There is another hotel even closer which we failed to get into, which looks nice (I forget the name).

I think its the Gran Risa Hotel right close to the Gondola station?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In 2018 UK half-term week (10-17 Feb) coincides with Fasching/Carnevale, so it could be a bit busier around the Sella Ronda Saturday through Friday.

22% of Germany (notably including Bavaria) have school holidays, as well as the whole of Belgium, Denmark (who tend to be in large numbers in Canazei/Val di Fassa) and the UK.

www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=128363

There aren't any Italian national school holidays in February but Carnevale means a long weekend ending on Shrove Tuesday/Martedi Grasso/Mardi Gras 13th Feb, so the early part of the week may be busier with Italians and Alta Badia is a very popular Italian choice of the Sella Ronda areas.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@luigi, thanks for the hols updates - we'll be there the week after Fashing/Carnivale.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dobby wrote:
@luigi, thanks for the hols updates - we'll be there the week after Fashing/Carnivale.

Sorry, yes, missed that in your OP.

That following week should be less busy, though all of Feb is considered High season in the Dolomites. It's always quieter away from the main Sella Ronda circuit.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy