Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on impulsive decision to buy board (K2 subculture) over renting

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everybody.

I have convinced myself that buying a snowboard is going to be less expensive than renting for this season and next. Going to be doing about 3 weeks of skiing dependant on cash and leave however.

I have been looking at multiple reviews and forums but truth be told I'm all the wiser and only having used rented boards while boarding previously so don't really know what you get all the time to compare.

Im 6ft2 and 240lbs uk size12 and boarding on a intermediate level can go down reds and blacks and starting to play around the edges and park with little slips, pops boxes etc but no expert. I am looking at expanding this skillset and be a all round mountain rider that's messing around on the edges and in between trees and pow spots while not skipping the park section when riding past it.

Obviously with my weight and shoe size im a bit limited on options. I've been shopping around various site. EVO, backcountry, absolute snow etc.

Currently I'm sitting with a shopping basket of the following with a total cost of 500pound ie $650
1. K2 subculture 162w 2017
2. Flow nexus hybrid binding 2017
3. Flow aero boa boots 2017

I would appreciate some feedback in regards to 1. the board performance, 2 the value for money for the kit above and 3 any recommendations for a full setup around or below this price.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know about the board and bindings, but you must buy boots that fit, which means trying them on. You might be lucky with fit but not likely.

It's also likely you'll be caught for import duties/VAT and a handling fee from the shipping company- well worth investigating, it can turn a bargain into not such a good deal.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got no experience with your setup, but if you can count on this Whitelines review, it sounds like that's just the board you're after.

https://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear/reviews/snowboards/k2-subculture-2016-2017.html

Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't the 162w is 266wide with 314mm nose and tail widths with 1269 EE length which is like a 165-166 std board.... its a tanker .

Possibly consider the 159w, 262 waist, 310mm wide nose/tail and go hand flex both so you know "more on 159w-162w flex to suit your riding terrain etc "

If the 162w is too firm flex and board size which I think it might be, then you are buying two boards and selling one.

As for the flows yes why not if that's what you want but the boots with out fitting is like buying a bra for a ladys tittys that you have never ever seen or know the shape of .
No one does that but in alpine sports all entry riders and many above buy boots wrong they say its 80% or more.
Personally made dozens of fails myself in the past although not recently .
So the boots could be mistake two and highly likely will be as only fit matters nothing else (except a usable flex) .

A pair of burton missions which are reasonably firm flex will ride your weight all day long are proven and have parts anywhere. Burton or salomon boot ranges are well worth a try ...salomon are durable but again only if they fit or suit your feet .

You wont find flow parts in resort you will buy new bindings in resort high season if you loose binding parts .
So that's about three possible hardgood fails to mull over most people just buy in a stepping stone process I think this could be where your at .
Its costly and its only August .

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 12-08-17 11:03; edited 5 times in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But if you look at the manufacturer's recommended rider weights the 159w tops out at less than his weight, and starts at about half the OP's!

A lot of UK people ride boards which are too small for them: it doesn't matter indoors, or if you're just learning to sideslip, but for actual riding... well you need the right size board. Take a look at those two boards side by side and you will be able to see that the bigger board is significantly stronger so it will flex correctly for bigger people.

My advice would be to get some boots and *demo* some boards. That means deliberately pick the boards you want to ride and if necessary take notes. Repeat until you find a board which is significantly more fun/ easier to ride, then buy that one. It's not actually cheaper if you buy the wrong board, and it really does make a difference.... If you can't tell the difference in boards, you're not ready to buy one.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The weight ranges are just gumby guides for punters.... where surface area in cm2 shows size and float..... but only Amplid an Korua spec it .

More width is more wood and firm flex and here if the flex is wrong ....like when did you last see a 166cm edge length board in the park and messing about off the side with a entry rider handling it ?

This 162w has a 1269mm effective edge lenght (aprox very similar too a std 166cm board effective edge length range... a 168cm will be around 1300mm EE or bit more ) its 266mm wide in the waist and has 314mm nose an tail widths.

That's a lot of tail a lot of lift and acceleration it will skip like a stone on water .
I believe its a American market, low angle ,bluebird cruiser for big foots .

If anyone is into comparing spec EVO will have occasional typos but often has more spec than burton does on its own boards .
They don't want you comparing boards knowing design for purpose they just want you churning boards .

This is the grunt for the op or those that might check gear spec out in the future .
https://www.evo.com/snowboards/k2-subculture-snowboard
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for all the feedback. Ive done some more research and have the following to add.

On the board side of things I have found either the libtech travis rice pro horse power 161.5 and the Jones twin mountain ultra 162 for about 100 pounds more than the K2 subculture which brings my basket to 600.

For boots UNfortunately I am working in the middle east and as you can guess there is no snowboard shops around. hoever Ive calculated my mondo sizes and have a mondo of 29cm and foot width of EE.

I can sacrifice on the park side of things and would problay like to do more natural jumps on and around the mountain but both the other boards mentioned above have got a effective edge substantially smaller than the subculture.

Other board i looked at was yes typo, normal mountain twin, k2 turbo dream

unfortunately shopping through the models from last year the only two i could find are noted above.

Any thoughts on the ultra dream and or travis rice pro. I reckoned since the ultra dream board is quite stiff and im above the weight range that those two will sort of cancel out as the reviews did specify the ultra to be on the more stiff side of med flex.

feel free to recommend as my knoledge is quite limited.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been riding an Ultradream 161 for 3 years and wouldn't classify it as particularly stiff as I'm only 70kg (154lbs) and 5'7"/9.5UK, you would certainly need the 164. I use it everywhere except the park, it's great in all conditions except icy, very easy edge to edge, exceptionally forgiving, carves well.

The non split version has been discontinued but I know "The BoardBasement" have 2015/16 and 2016/17 models in stock and I don't think they've changed the spec at all, I might have to buy another as a spare! My latest purchase is another zero camber board but much smaller and softer as I seem to be able to push these boards much harder on piste than any camber or cam/rock/cam or pow/cam boards I've tried.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My apologies I meant the ultra mountain twin. Would my weight cancel out some of the flex rating for the 162 UMT and therefore lose some of its aggressive ride abilities?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As far as wide boots go .
The Salomon Synapse wides are E width
Burton Rular wides are EE or EEE not sure which but certainly wider than Sallys
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy