Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New touring setup advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm looking to invest in a new touring setup this season to complement my existing gear. Currently I use Armada Norwalks (115mm waist) mounted with Dynafit Beast 14 bindings. Great skis for deep days and shorter freeride type objectives, but a bit heavy for bigger days out.
I'm looking for a set of skis for longer tours and ski mountaineering objectives in and around Chamonix (Y couloir, Chardonnet South couloir etc). All done in a day as I'm not interested in multi day touring.
Obviously weight is a concern but I'd still like good ski performance and would happily sacrifice a couple of hundred grams for better downhill performance. I like to charge fairly hard so a supportive ski is important.
What sort of waist width would anyone recommend? Not looking to go narrower than 95mm and up to 110mm at the widest. I'd like solid performance on mixed conditions and still be able to hold a reasonable edge on firmer snow. I've heard good things about the Superguide 105 and 95, Faction agent 100. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Steve
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Steve,

Welcome to Snowheads. I went through a similair transition year. From a burly, short tour set up to lightweight (ish) multi day set up. I ended up going with the whitedot carbonlite r.98. Initially with dynafit radical 2.0 but swapped out for speed turn as weight has become more important to me. I couldn't be happier with them. I Skied the Y couloir in May and snow was pretty sketchy and they were perfect for the job. The r.108 are also great skis and may be more to your liking.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If budget isn't an issue, Faction's Prime series (Sam Anthamatten's pro models) are exceptional. You'd probably want the 2.0 at 98mm, assuming you'll keep the Norwalks for deeper/softer days. If you're good at technical skinning or happy to start bootpacking earlier then the 3.0 are seriously fun going downhill.

Also check out the Down LowDown 102 (more info about Down's 17/18 lineup coming this month), Black Crows Navis Freebird, Whitedot Ranger series, Blizzard ZeroG series, Völkl BMT (also $$$ though)...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Steve, as per danjunk's post above what you need in your life is a pair of R.108 or R.98 Carbonlites. For me they are the perfectly shaped steep ski, and paired with a light binding are plenty light enough for big days out. Great torsional rigidity for good edge hold when things are getting 'interesting' but good flex pattern along the length. Only choice is between more or less float (and hence more or less comfort on hardpack...).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999 wrote:
If budget isn't an issue, Faction's Prime series (Sam Anthamatten's pro models) are exceptional. You'd probably want the 2.0 at 98mm, assuming you'll keep the Norwalks for deeper/softer days. If you're good at technical skinning or happy to start bootpacking earlier then the 3.0 are seriously fun going downhill.

Also check out the Down LowDown 102 (more info about Down's 17/18 lineup coming this month), Black Crows Navis Freebird, Whitedot Ranger series, Blizzard ZeroG series, Völkl BMT (also $$$ though)...

also have a look at the Volkl VTA series as well - more cambered than the BMT , more tour than the BMTs but in 98 and 108 so still descent oriented. Also note that the new season Crows seemed to have been lightened up so very worth looking at. I have the 95 Scott Superguides and v impressed. Would certainly have the 105 Superguide on my list.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice one guys, thanks for the great in depth suggestions. Looks like I need to check out the Whitedot skis. Anyone tried the Sick Day Tourist at all? Ive tried the sick day 102 which were great so has anyone got any experience with the tourist version?
Thanks again
Steve
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
if indoors is enough for you to make a judgement then Whitedot will most likely be at the Oktobertest.

Otherwise you can always go to Cham and call them up. Between their hire fleet and the hire stock at Echobase I'd be surprised if you can't have a play with what you want.

Health notice: Trying out Whitedot skis might cause you to suffer a bizarre disease where sums of money equal to the cost of skis seems to disappear from your bank account without warning. I've tried R.98, Redeemers, Preachers and Ragnaroks... and the latter two have since become possessions.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TheSnowChaser, if you are touring i'd look at the R.98 carbonlite if you are interested in the Whitedots over the R108 which I have.

I do love them but the 98s are probably slightly more adapt to touring.
Likewise they require a certain style of skiing, if you like full camber skis they may not be for you, still worth a shot.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would totally recommend the Fischer Ranger 98. Incredible ski which is very light and is the perfect all-rounder. With a kingpin setup you would have something which can handle day tours and still absolutely rip anywhere.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@TheSnowChaser, dynastar mythic 97 is one to look at , light , powerful , flat tails , as well as being a capable everyday ski if only taking one pair with you on hols
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have skied the Salomon Mtn 95's and they are amazing in most conditions and tour well too.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:

Although tempted couldn't justify the €€€ for the the Völkl BMT in the end so went Völkl 90eight instead at less than half the price, appears to have similar ski technology but a bit more weight which is good (down) and bad (up).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy