Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel 1650 Half term

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone
Looking for a quick bit of advice please! It looks like we may be restricted to half term for a trip next year. So dates would be Feb 18th - 25th (Sunday to Sunday so hoping to avoid the worst of the traffic!). I am considering Courchevel 1650 for a number of reasons. I have found accommodation that suits our needs perfect. Having been there in 2015 I also know the skiing suits our varied abilities perfectly. The question is (having never experienced half term before), are we mad considering a large resort that week? From what I can find via Google it appears almost all of France will be on holidays that week. Will the queues at the lifts and the traffic on the slopes be crazy? Most of our group have limited experience and won't stray too far from the 1650 end of Courchevel and certainly won't be trying to get over to Meribel.
Also if we go to Courchevel I plan on putting my little girl (she'll be 4 years 9 months) into the New Generation Whippersnappers classes (for 4-5 year olds) in 1650. Any thoughts on this? 3 of our group had adult lessons with New Generation in 1850 a couple of years ago and found them terrific. the whippersnapper classes are 2 hours a day for 5 days. As she's my oldest child I haven't don't this before so again any comments welcome.

By the way the criteria for the resort selection was based mainly on: (a) finding a self catered chalet close to a resort centre and lifts (b) slopes suitable to relative novices and also a couple of guys who would cover a reasonably large amount of ground (c) Good British ski school for adults (d) lessons for 4.75 year old (e) We have non skiers and smaller kids so ideally wanted a chalet where they can potter around outside in the snow (f) no buses! want to be able to ski back to close to the chalet and quickly to relieve non-skiers of babysitting duties (and we won't have a car).

So if anyone has a better suggestion than 1650 I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a while since we we're restricted to half term, but my experience of 1650 is that it is comparatively quiet compared with the rest of the 3v at busy times (such as New Year, when we tend to be based over in St Martin). That's not to say it won't be busy though!
I'm a big fan of the skiing over there and can see why you would chose it. Great confidence inducing slopes for novices. We love a lunch at the Arc en Ciel -located in the village itself - and invariably make the trip over at least once in a week away for a jolly good nosh up.
The bottlenecks in lift system when you head over to Meribel have been pretty well dealt with in the last 10 years when you head further afield-so even if there are queues, hopefully they move quite quickly. It's also a good place to be if the weather closes in.
My guess is that you should book your lessons asap though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Book your lessons now!

As for all your other concerns, it'll be busy, but so will everywhere similar. You'll manage. Lovely resort and an excellent choice for your priorities.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@adriangrogan, I think Courchevel 1650 would meet your criteria very well. Those with limited experience could easily get across to 1850, for a change, where several slopes are easier than 1650. Great leisure centre nearby too, although expensive. The more experienced have the delights of 3V with 600k + pistes to explore.
New Gen very good but would definitely need booking ahead, as would restaurant tables that week.

Some locations in Les Arcs/La Plagne might offer an alternative but slopes and lift queues could be busier there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone for the help. Good to get some reassurance! Points well noted on booking the lessons.

Have been to Les Arcs a couple of times and really enjoyed it but have struggled to come up with accommodation like I've found in Courcheval.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My daughter was in Whippersnappers with Ski New Gen in 1850 3 years ago (she was 4 at the time). Best ski school I've ever used. Don't hesitate and book before the spaces are filled.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@adriangrogan, although I assume French school holidays will still be ongoing, the majority of British schools have the previous week off for half term, so I would assume ski schools with mainly British clientele would be quieter for kids lessons.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We did years of half terms at la Tania and always used to head over to 1650 because it was less crowded than elsewhere. The 3V lift system is now very efficient, so you shouldn't get huge queues.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depending on your budget, take a look at Oberlech/Lech. Sounds like we have similar group make up and we have loved our holidays in Oberlech the last couple of years. We are only changing due to having a tighter budget but if you can afford it I would definitely give it a go
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks again for all the help everyone. Accommodation in 1650 and child's lessons have been booked. Now only the 6 months to wait!

One small final question. We have the option to fly into Lyon or Geneva with no great price difference.
Anyone have any thoughts on a Sunday afternoon transfer to 1650 from those airports during half term? They seem pretty equidistant and last time we did it from Lyon with no great hassle (though mid March rather than half term). Any preferences let me know!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lyon v Geneva transfers, Sunday, half term? French school holiday zones that week include Paris, Lyon, Grenoble, Toulouse. Could mean extra heavy traffic on the Lyon to Moutiers main road. Also not the peak half term week for GB. That would tend to steer me towards Geneva, even if the airport itself is a scrum.

Maybe not much to choose between them and Sunday transfers much better than Saturday anyway.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great choice. We love 1650. You have access to the 3V but it's much quieter and more affordable!

I believe that they are installing more cannons and revamping the lift system at the moment too, but can't find any information on it.
I think they are replacing the Ariondaz bubble with two new ones?

Can anyone point us in the right direction if there is any information on the changes taking place?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
closey1973 wrote:
... Can anyone point us in the right direction if there is any information on the changes taking place?

This site [url] http://www.latania.co.uk/blog/2017/05/17/new-lifts-pistes-improvements-for-winter-2018-across-the-3-valleys/[/url] suggests simple replacement of the Ariondaz gondola, and removal of three drag lifts.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great, thank you for the link. It looks as if a two stage bubble was planned but that's now just the one.
One of the guys from New Gen told us that they were putting in more new cannons on the home run as it had suffered in the last few years late in the season.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone for the input above. Much appreciated. Flights booked, accommodation in 1650 booked, transfers and ski lessons also booked (Newgen)!
ski holidays
New sledging run too in 1650.

I'm glad the lift is replaced, used to take ages previously.
snow conditions
Little Martin wrote:
New sledging run too in 1650.

I'm glad the lift is replaced, used to take ages previously.

Yep saw that. Didn't give the sledging run a go when we stayed in 1550 before so will definitely have to do the new one in 1650.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy