Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets now mandatory at Hemel

Poster: A snowHead
Just heard that all slope users at The Snow Centre Hemel Hempstead must wear helmets from 1 Sept. As always they will provide a free rental helmet if you don't have your own. Not to open a helmets good or bad debate but trying to raise awareness. If you use the slope there bring a bone dome in future !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, I was aware of that. Is 'helmet' defined?

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Davina Goldballs, why is that helmet wearing a bucket?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Crumbs! Do they have a lot of head injuries there? Wasn't planning to go but it's now completely off my list.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never heard of one at the Centre but not sure... Wonder if other snow domes will follow suit? Might make SnowZone more attractive to some users like yourself.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Interesting approach.

I was at the Tamworth dome a few weeks ago. Was chatting to an instructor who was taking some friends out on beginner lessons, and we were pointing at the helmets and making sure my friends were kitted out.

I mentioned I don’t wear one in a dome (though I’d never be without one on a mountain) and he looked genuinely shocked, and a little displeased at that.

To be fair the other two people with me preparing to go out on the main slope were both wearing helmets too – I was the odd one out.

I’ve no objection to them – it’s just more to carry if I bring my own, and I don’t want to put my head in a communal centre one…
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@fixx, In fairness the hire helmets at Hemel aren't too minging, as contrasted to Milton Keynes where they were foul and many didn't even have linings last time I was there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Instructors have been "strongly encouraged" to wear helmets for many years at the Centre and this season it became mandatory when teaching.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@fixx, having spent a day at Hemel a few weeks back I actually thought that a dome is a place where a helmet is more necessary. There are so many nervous/reckless beginners in a small area that I felt the chances of being collected were much higher than when on a mountain where the pistes are wide and crowds a bit more spread out.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Twice I've seen someone smacked in the head with a stray poma button at Hemel. There isn't the room you have in the mountain to take evasive action if someone arounds you messes up the exit and the button goes flying. That's why I'm happy to wear a helmet in there.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's ridiculous. Used to enjoy the odd outing to Hemel but I won't be bothering with all that for the sake of a few short runs in a fridge. Are they saying that their facility is dangerous or has been dangerous hitherto? It doesn't appear that way to me as nobody is moving fast enough and there are no trees or intersections or much in the way of ice or variable snow conditions to catch you out. The most concerning thing I've seen there are youngsters skiing slalom close to the tow track, but if one of them loses it its not your head that's in danger but your lower regions.

If this move is based on head injury statistics at the centre then there must be a far bigger problem, if its based on what happens on a mountain then its irrelevant, if its there as a sales and marketing stunt or due to helmet sponsorship then its just cynical.

Quote:

the hire helmets at Hemel aren't too minging

Yet.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pruman wrote:
. The most concerning thing I've seen there are youngsters skiing slalom close to the tow track, but if one of them loses it its not your head that's in danger but your lower regions.

What about their head?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pruman wrote:
I won't be bothering with all that for the sake of a few short runs in a fridge.

Yeah, it's lot of hassle to put a hat on rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SnoodlesMcFlude, And it was relatively quiet that day!
Quote:

there are no trees or intersections or much in the way of ice or variable snow conditions to catch you out

There is a wall though. I've seen someone ski into it at some speed, which is pretty frightening.

EDIT: Correction, there are several walls Wink

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 16-08-17 16:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was glad to have been wearing my helmet when I came out of my skis (Hemel skis, badly adjusted bindings) half way round a fast turn the other week.
latest report
As experienced skiers Hemel should credit us with enough intelligence to weigh up the risks and make a decision about wearing a helmet. Regardless of whether you wear a helmet or not, I am hopeful that people who are opposed to compulsory helmets will politely tell Hemel that they are opposed to the idea under the helmet post on the Snow Centre Facebook page.
ski holidays
Saw this appear on my Facebook feed a few days back. Personally I don't have a problem with it, I've worn one (my own) whenever I've been there.

Considering it's a place where a lot of people go to learn to ski, I think it's a good idea and learners should be encouraged to wear them and if it means everyone has to, then fair enough. Surprising how many people make the assumption that it's the high speed falls or crashes where a helmet comes into play. I've seen them save people from a few nasty knocks whilst standing!

I don't think that they're saying the place is a dangerous one, or that they've had that many head injuries over the years, it's just that helmets are much more common these days and very much advisory. You might be fine being able to ski without falling over, but when you're taken out by a learner you and your head could end up anywhere! Razz

When skiing with kids you can't exactly tell them to wear one and then go skiing with them without Very Happy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 16-08-17 16:31; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Tubaski wrote:
@fixx, In fairness the hire helmets at Hemel aren't too minging, as contrasted to Milton Keynes where they were foul and many didn't even have linings last time I was there.

I think the hire helmets at MK now are new, or they looked new when I was there last night (not skiing).

I'll admit to not wearing a helmet indoors. However, last time I did question myself as to why. I think I'm probably more at risk being ploughed into at a fridge than out on the mountain due to the numbers of people on relatively short narrow slopes.
snow report
@Pruman,
Quote:

If this move is based on head injury statistics at the centre then there must be a far bigger problem, if its based on what happens on a mountain then its irrelevant, if its there as a sales and marketing stunt or due to helmet sponsorship then its just cynical.

Probably nothing to do with above, much more mundane than that, more than likely that their insurance company won't cover their public liability unless all customers wear helmets.
latest report
hammerite wrote:
Tubaski wrote:

I think the hire helmets at MK now are new, or they looked new when I was there last night (not skiing).

Fair enough - its been a while since I was last there and they definitely needed new ones....
snow report
Timc wrote:
@Pruman,
Quote:

Probably nothing to do with above, much more mundane than that, more than likely that their insurance company won't cover their public liability unless all customers wear helmets.

Most probably.
snow conditions
Quote:

Surprising how many people make the assumption that it's the high speed falls or crashes where a helmet comes into play. I've seen them save people from a few nasty knocks whilst standing!

My helmet has never (yet) saved me from injury when skiing. When getting onto chairlifts and in/out of gondolas however...
Quote:

As experienced skiers Hemel should credit us with enough intelligence to weigh up the risks and make a decision about wearing a helmet

Arguably - but most of the punters are not experienced skiers, and how would the slope know anyway? There's no shortage of people who sign the "I can control my speed and link turns" declaration on the way in but have never been on skis in their life (they get chucked off the slope promptly of course).
ski holidays
Getting smacked on the head by a drag lift is definitely a good reason for helmet wearing - though I've never encountered it indoors, only outside.

However, I took a good cartwheeling tumble at ChillFactore last year and definitely bumped the side top of my head as I rolled, etc - and it was basically sheet ice ( or something else extremely hard and cold) under the minute layer of alleged snow. I'm very glad that I had a helmet on. Don't greatly enjoy wearing them, but my brain is befuddled enough already to risk further, erm...
ski holidays
Helmets at Tamworth aren't mandatory yet unless on lessons, or freestyle. I can see them becoming mandatory at some point though and have no issues with it - I don't wear one currently indoors unless its freestyle night, but I'm not going to let a lid stop me skiing.

Those saying they won't go skiing in a fridge if they have to wear a helmet.... well, more room for me! Bit of a silly response to be honest.

As for why they are mandating them, who knows - Insurance on lessons? Setting a good example for kids? Silly Health and safety people? Genuine statistics? Not sure it really matters - its their fridge and their rules.

Im surprised they haven't mandated it at Tamworth to be honest - there is always a small kicker, box or rail at the side in most sessions for people to play on if they have a brain bucket, and despite the signs saying wear a lid, they spend half their time telling people off for hitting the features without one - fair play to them for not blanketing a helmet policy - it would be much easier for them.
snow conditions
When skiing with kids you can't exactly tell them to wear one and then go skiing with them without Very Happy[/quote]

Yes you can - its my only excuse for not hitting features that my 5yo can do with his eyes closed!!

Daddy, do this box backward..... Sorry little man I cant, I've not got my lid on (also known as ''Sod off you show off little S-h-i-T, are you trying to kill me!!!)
ski holidays
PaulC1984 wrote:
Quote:
When skiing with kids you can't exactly tell them to wear one and then go skiing with them without Very Happy

Yes you can - its my only excuse for not hitting features that my 5yo can do with his eyes closed!!

Daddy, do this box backward..... Sorry little man I cant, I've not got my lid on (also known as ''Sod off you show off little S-h-i-T, are you trying to kill me!!!)

Yep.... MiniC kicks your but. Happy
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops, haha you should see the dude now!! Since doing his ice hockey he is so much more confident with freestyle, will have to brings some vids to Italy (ps the countdown is on, I've had all the kit out today!!!)
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
... What about their head?

Well there's never been anything stopping irresponsible reckless people from wearing helmets, other than the fact that they're in fact irresponsible and reckless.

I think diligent policing of their slopes would be a greater influence on injury statistics, but the best thing about this is that it's a hugely controlled and consistent environment, so they can actually compare the numbers before and after this change and see how it works. I somehow suspect they will not be willing to publish injury statistics though, which is a shame. I'm assuming they're not publicly (council) owned, or an FoI would get the data...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PaulC1984 wrote:

haha... Laughing

There's always that I suppose.
snow report
'In my opinion we should encourage, but not force, people to wear helmets. The absolute risks are really very small'

- Dr Mike Langran -Ski patrol doctor for the CairnGorm Ski Area and board member of the International Society for Skiing Safety.
latest report
Oceanic wrote:
'In my opinion we should encourage, but not force, people to wear helmets. The absolute risks are really very small'

- Dr Mike Langran -Ski patrol doctor for the CairnGorm Ski Area and board member of the International Society for Skiing Safety.

Not sure how Dr Mike can say this -"there is more rock, ice and football sized cobbles in Scotland than the rest of the world combined - if anywhere should have a mandatory helmet policy...... Toofy Grin
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, haha you should see the dude now!! Since doing his ice hockey he is so much more confident with freestyle, will have to brings some vids to Italy (ps the countdown is on, I've had all the kit out today!!!)

I'll be booking flights next month then getting Avios for car hire. Happy

PM me your flights again.
latest report
@GlasgowCyclops, will do Happy
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
] Not sure how Dr Mike can say this -"there is more rock, ice and football sized cobbles in Scotland than the rest of the world combined

Alternatively, if the ski patrol doctor for the ski area with more rock, ice and football sized cobbles than the rest of the world combined doesn't think helmets should be compulsory, maybe they shouldn't be compulsory at Hemel either?
ski holidays
@Oceanic, ah but you see, Hemel isn't his hill so he has no say in the matter.

I'm a helmet wearer outdoors, don't indoors (but do if it's mandated) but I certainly dont think it should be mandated as such. Ok if racing or freestyle then absolutely but the rest of the time I'd like to think normal adults can assess the risk. That said if a ski area or dome mandates it, I'll gladly wear one without getting all pi55y, stopping my feet and throwing the toys out. After all if it's their hill then it's their rules. Find another hill/hobby or comply.

Simples enough Toofy Grin

Besides if helmets were mandated everywhere, half of the snowheads posts would be defunct - what would we have to argue pointlessly over during the summer Toofy Grin
latest report
Izzop wrote:
... When skiing with kids you can't exactly tell them to wear one and then go skiing with them without

Agree it would be a more difficult message to get across, but from a medical perspective it would be quite justified. Children are both more prone to head injuries than adults, and have thinner cranial bones that give them much less protection if they are injured. Probably at least in part why some countries make helmets compulsory for children but not (or not yet!) for adults.
snow report
I did wonder when I was there on Sunday doing inelegant sit downs that a very kind sh has been generous enough not to post about as I was the only person on there slope without one. A bit of a hassle - one more thing to remember to chuck in and lug into the place plus I usually need a good few mins chilling once I've had a sweat on in the changing room.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 17-08-17 7:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
Are they saying that their facility is dangerous or has been dangerous hitherto? It doesn't appear that way to me as nobody is moving fast enough

I've been flattened by an out of control teenager at Hemel and it felt to me that she was moving plenty fast enough to do damage. Although in the event none was done.
latest report
I really don't see why there such an anti-helmet feeling. I get it's not tradition, especially if you have been skiing for many, many years. I also get that it may encourage more risky behavior (although I don't fully believe that).

As someone who has rugby related head injuries and suffering the ongoing consequences I can't understand why people wouldn't want to wear something that could ultimately save their life (or prevent significant damage, or even just a bump on the head...who wants that...really?).

Whether it's indoors or outside, hitting the deck hard or a button lift to the dome I think everyone should wear helmets. Just like those who ride horses, or cycle.
99.9% it's never called into action and odds are it won't even be, but it's that 0.1%...

And also, just like driving it's everyone else you need to worry about...You could be the best skier on the planet but all it takes in drunken brit abroad to smash into you, down you go, hit your head and goodnight.
ski holidays
Oh dear, helmet thread no 564 in full swing. And I'm sure skimottaret only posted, as a helpful gesture, for information purposes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy