Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets now mandatory at Hemel

Poster: A snowHead
Hurtle wrote:
Oh dear, helmet thread no 564 in full swing. And I'm sure skimottaret only posted, as a helpful gesture, for information purposes.

YEP you are correct.. I for one fear putting on a rental helmet full of Henry's Headlice more than a concussion so thought I would let people know to pack their own.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I suspect this is driven more by a leadership role in encouraging safe practice in largely inexperienced skiers and boarders

I think that is the most likely explanation, they've been promoting helmet use on their social media channels for a while.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hells Bells wrote:
Could the boot issue be more of a problem for those not wearing ski boots, but potentially slipping on the water that is left behind when the snow melts.?

Regardless I agree with Hurtle - they should have installed suitable rubberised or carpeted flooring. It's not much of an issue for rec skiers aside those doing all day courses like IOS but it's a PITA for instructors between shifts as I observed at the weekend. Finish class 1 - go for a drink with group which is positively encouraged now - boots off wet into locker shoes on . Class 2 back down wet festering boots on.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skimottaret,
Quote:

I for one fear putting on a rental helmet full of Henry's Headlice more than a concussion

Bleugghhh. Me too!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, 100% Although I have a faint suspicion this might be more to do with the people who run the cafe being precious about it rather than really health and safety. After all if they were worried about slippy liquids on the floor surely they'd be serving coffee in sippy cups?
I used to have lunch in the cafe every weekend last summer, I've eaten there once since the new rule came in - mainly because it is just easier to take sandwiches than to change in / out of my boots. But I guess I'm not their core market.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One solution for the no boot rule at Hemel is to get them boot cover things. You can get a pair for a couple of quid on the net. This is my solution when I am between lessons. I get 30 minute between them so taking boots off, feedback to guests then back on for next lesson is not idea.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chrisrawles, I asked about using cat tracks on boots and got told no...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skimottaret, I would imagine this is down to the fact snow can still fall off and on to the floor. Luckily I'm in SB boots so the hard floor is not such an issue, but us boarders still have to follow the rules.

They might get a solution come winter as I really can't see the no boots thing working too well when its full on. We shall see.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ah sorry didn't catch the SB bit... it is a mega pain for me to take off my race boots as super tight and hard to get back on as well as killing 10 minutes of each of our breaks... hopefully they will change the flooring or their insurers Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Strange thing with the ski boots rule- how many mountain restaurants have such a rule? Only empty ones I'd say!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a reason behind it and I'm sure the right people are arguing the case to allow boots in the bar area again but for now.......just smile Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As those indoor places are supposed to be training for the real thing, they're missing a trick by not training their customers to be able to get a coffee whilst wearing ski boots. Do they also ban snowboard boots? How about race snowboard boots? wink

It seems to me that it's always safer to ban almost everything, so unless you have a commercial argument then the people who like to use "safety" to get their way can often win out. You could try a counter-argument that the risks of people falling whilst mucking around with their boots is in fact greater than the risk of them not being able to walk in the things.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go the whole hog and ban skiing and boarding- clearly dangerous!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RUGBY PETER wrote:
Strange thing with the ski boots rule- how many mountain restaurants have such a rule? Only empty ones I'd say!!

Not many mountain restaurants in Hemel. Not many mountain restaurants where the majority of customers are sat there in their normal clothes while their children, partners or friends ski/board. At no point does it try to replicate a mountain restaurant, it's a cafe above an indoor ski slope!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hammerite wrote:
RUGBY PETER wrote:

Not many mountain restaurants in Hemel. Not many mountain restaurants where the majority of customers are sat there in their normal clothes while their children, partners or friends ski/board. At no point does it try to replicate a mountain restaurant, it's a cafe above an indoor ski slope!

Yeah I slightly disagree - having got rid of the sofas etc they are clearly trying to go for some sort of faux alpine lodge look. The problem with the business model is that their cafe revenue comes largely from non skiing punters but without the snowsports they would have nil so if it feels like a slap in the face for those who are really paying for the existence of the place.
snow conditions
Alpine look maybe, but that doesn't mean they're trying to be a mountain restaurant! Maybe a lot of those using it aren't necessarily non skiing public as such and they are paying for the place through their children. I know that's the case for me and most others when we find ourselves that side of the glass at least once a week (albeit at MK for me).
snow conditions
hammerite wrote:
Alpine look maybe, but that doesn't mean they're trying to be a mountain restaurant!

Hmmm... I rather think they are...
https://www.thesnowcentre.com/thelodge/
Quote:
Welcome to The Lodge. Our Bar & Kitchen is the ultimate alpine dining experience. As soon as you arrive at The Lodge you will be transported to the comfort of a log-fire filled cabin nestled in the Alps, taking in the authentic sights, sounds and smells with a view over the slopes. Here you can enjoy an authentic Après ski atmosphere at its finest.
ski holidays
@Tubaski, I've often had a giggle at that purple prose.
snow report
"I vas only obeying orders (to wear a ski helmet)"

SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Godwin's has been invoked, time to close the thread.

That would obviously constitute military censorship, for no particular reason.
WW2 (don't mention it) continues to resonate in the ski world, for good reason. Take Herman Goering, on trial here at Nuremburg for war crimes (in this case for not wearing a ski helmet in a bunker). As is obvious, the two officials flanking him are not making the same mistake.

snow report
@Davina Goldballs, I have no desire to work out what you're on about, so I'm going to ignore it. Good use of your daily post though, someone will probably enjoy it.
ski holidays
Shame you didn't take the post to launch your campaign for CEO of the Ski Club.
latest report
Tubaski wrote:
hammerite wrote:
Alpine look maybe, but that doesn't mean they're trying to be a mountain restaurant!

Hmmm... I rather think they are...
https://www.thesnowcentre.com/thelodge/
Quote:
Welcome to The Lodge. Our Bar & Kitchen is the ultimate alpine dining experience. As soon as you arrive at The Lodge you will be transported to the comfort of a log-fire filled cabin nestled in the Alps, taking in the authentic sights, sounds and smells with a view over the slopes. Here you can enjoy an authentic Après ski atmosphere at its finest.

Embarassed
ski holidays
The Centre has now changed their floors and boots can once again be worn in the cafe. They even have a ski rack upstairs which is handy..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy