Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new to touring

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
howdy all, i really want to get into ski touring, probably not gonna be going for days at a time, more like a resort ski with the option of going out onto some spines, and skinning up powder feilds instead of walking. My issue is im living in new zealand, and already have two pairs of skis, so either want to see if either pair is suitable or sell one and buy a touring pair. I have volkl kendos and armada narwalks, i can ski powder fine on my kendos and they would be my choice, but are they too thin? as i feel my narwalks, might be too heavy? i already have touring boots, just need to get the planks right! thanks all.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the question should be, 'is it worth having skins cut to my current skis or tailoring them to an ideal pair'. The skins were a significant part of my touring investment and they're not as portable between skis as the bindings. Until you become a complete hut to hut fruitloop (sorry!), weight isn't the be all and end all. I'd set out on your current kit - if the cost of the skins doesn't indicate a change of ski.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@treeslayer, It really depends if you are after the up or the down? Going light with the boots, skis, bindings makes the up much easier, but in general terms the ski back down worse. Going heavier for the down, makes the up more energy sapping.

I first toured on Line SFB's mounted with Marker Barons, which did the job, but weighed almost 3.5kg per foot. I did some 1000m days on those. I then switched to much lighter DPS skis with Dynafit bindings, at around 2.2kg per foot, which made the up so much easier, without compromising to any great extent on the down.

The expected snow conditions will also make a difference. Climbing up and skiing down in powder, will work with any ski, but if the conditions are hard pack or variable, edge grip becomes much more important.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for the input chaps, i reckon ill get some pin bindings on my fatties then!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@treeslayer, touring skis tend to be relatively skinnier so I would have thought the Kendos better.

That said, recent ski ranges include quite fat touring skis.

Bear in mind though that often (if you're doing it for the touring) the descent can be on rather sketchy snow, and fat isn't always best.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey if you're in NZ check out the touring groups on face book - there's one for the north Island , and a could down south too.

North Island:https://www.facebook.com/groups/654569137925515/
Wanaka: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Wanakaskitouring/
Canterbury: https://www.facebook.com/groups/315846011828024/
Queenstown: https://www.facebook.com/groups/220646114631187/

You can tour on pretty much anything, but the NZ snow pack can be a little "firm" especially in the North Island. It would be worth getting some ski crampons at the same time if you are going to get some touring bindings, South Island you can probably not bother to start with.

I tour on 112 waisted skis, but they are super lite. I'd always recommend to get going on what ever you can find gear wise and for as little money as possible, you'll soon work out what you want. If you get skins for you fat skis, these can always be trimmed down to a skinner ski in the future..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy