Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercise. Fitness and a bit less of the fatness

Poster: A snowHead
Ray Zorro hit the nail on the head.............

It IS a lifestyle change. It is NOT overnight as it were. If this individual can create within her life amidst her varied responsibilities as per family, work and the like a realistic and constant process (diet and exercise) that progressively through such a lifestyle change in toto, with emphasis on in toto, which she CAN............, and it IS solely up to her and a matter of will, period.............. After let us say one year's time in a not so proverbial "Before and After", she will be amazed as to the net result. It's a combination of will and dedication. From there it is a matter of maintaining that lifestyle toward further improvement and maintenance.

* She should remind herself that even those (of us) who are in say beyond exceptional condition didn't get there by accident. Not at all. It was from a v. young age in myself a lot of involvement, a lot of work which I have chosen to not throw away as it were. I'd be ashamed if I were to. And I am not alone on this. We lead a lifestyle that is its own CONSTANT of diet and exercise. Without same we would falter and regress. Think about that.
I enjoy, as do many others of similar make up my chosen forms of exercise and I am accepting of my diet overall.......... The combined net result precipitates my condition which I choose to maintain for my I own sake. Certain weeks over a given year - depending upon where I am - I have unrestricted access to what I like to do in terms of exercise and sport which, depending upon weather or situation runs from strong to Herculean. Other weeks nowhere near as much. But in the latter I typically find something to do that contributes, albeit significantly less. My diet is adjusted accordingly to compensate for the lesser amount of exercise. It IS the overall varied "labors" (for you folk "labours") over any given period, be same a week, a month, a year that warrant the maintained net result. So......, I, too, maintain a "lifestyle". And in order to maintain, I maintain.............. This woman needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel which IS there if SHE is willing to see it. It's up to her and only her.

By the way, should I mention that I choose not to booze? The stuff really slows down metabolism. And that's just for starters.

No suggestions for Madame beyond the aforementioned obvious. She needs to stop making excuses which is her biggest impediment, get with a plan and stick to it with dogged determination. But she should additionally not overlook the hidden exceptional benefits of floor exercises, weight resistance (big shout out to dumbells) and isometric exercises (ALL of which can easily be accomplished AT HOME), in addition to any number of available aerobic activities in the great outdoors or in a pool. Swimming IS phenomenal whose net results will amaze madame. Madame would be amazed as to the exceptional change in physique that progressively high output lap swimming brings on if she would dedicate herself to that, say 10 hours per week........ Focus heavily on breaststroke, to a lesser extent freestyle. On freestyle, big upper body/arm focus.........., slow the legs down to nothing more than a "float" and breath every THIRD stroke (left AND right). You go v. far.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
arcsinice wrote:

By the way, should I mention that I choose not to booze?

Think we could have worked that one out for ourselves.

Any reason you decided not to address the OP but instead refer to her as "Madame" or "this woman"?

Nice posting style.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've just joined SH's so hi everyone. Interesting read, as I went for a flu jab last week, the nurse took my B and it was 186 over something, so I got checked over by the doctor, ECG and bloods, was given a BP monitor for a week and need to go back to the doc in a weeks time.

I'm 48, 83 KG's and 5' 11. I walk regularly, and cycle to and from work 4 days a week, but it's only a 7 mile round trip. I've joined the gym, starting tonight and have cut out butter, tea, coffee and alcohol. Fingers crossed my BP will drop. My resting heart rate is around 60bpm.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ralphster, welcome to snowHeads! Very Happy Could it be that the high reading was, at least partly, attributable to white coat syndrome? If so, the 24 hour monitor should sort out what's what. Because I have white coat syndrome, I monitor my own blood pressure and know to consult the quack if it starts to rise. Anyway, good luck for a healthy outcome, even if that means going on to medication.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ralphster, welcome to snowHeads.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fitness and weight loss are two different things although not mutually exclusive.

Diet of course plays a big part but I would say if you are eating 3 meals a day then unless you're having huge portions or lashing of sides and sauces you will be getting the necessary calories and fuel you need. Missing any of the 3 meals a day seems very counter productive to me.

Doing hours of cardio will burn calories and you will get 'fit' so it aids weight loss but look at how long it takes to burn off 300 calories, maybe don't it's depressing! Some CV exercises are recommended but hours on end of tedium are a sure way for you to be back to how you were before.

The best approach in my opinion and it has big benefits for skiers is to look into weight lifting/weight loading exercises. Do not worry about how much you weigh more how you feel and look. Clothes are the best indicator of the effectiveness of your efforts.

If you could do 3 or 4 weights sessions a week, 45 min at a time then you will see the benefits quite quickly (2 months). You should look into compound exercises which engage multiple muscle groups. Do not neglect the legs (biggest muscles in the body). This will also pay you back on your next ski trip!

If you build muscle your body has to sustain it, this means even at rest you will be burning more calories than you would normally. Using those muscles to move weights also burns a lot of calories even if you're not panting for breath like you are when you flog yourself to death on a treadmill.

This is a good website for info. It looks a bit of a sales pitch but read the science behind what it says and you will see the logic I am sure. Hope this helps.

https://www.muscleforlife.com/

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 8-11-17 16:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
arcsinice wrote:
...By the way, should I mention that I choose not to booze? The stuff really slows down metabolism. And that's just for starters. ...

I think you're confused about how "metabolism" works. Alcohol doesn't "slow it down" so much as provide something else for you to metabolize. => Alcohol won't help if you're overweight, but if you're fit and healthy and eating reasonable food it won't make you fat.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm a serial yo-yoer, 1/2 a stone each way and this time (again...) I'm hoping I'll stay at the bottom of the string.

Since coming back from Italy in August we've reduced our mid week wine intake quite substantially which I think has helped a lot. Replaced it with a slimline G&T though Toofy Grin

Of late I've also reduced my carb intake and for the most part stopped eating porridge and cereals for breakfast and substituting them for scrambled eggs. The trick is to feed your body more protein so it burns fat reserves instead of relying on carbohydrates.

I'm now on the last buckle of my belt and had to buy a new ski outfit as the old one just doesn't fit - And it all gone down a size to L!

I use ski gear as a yearly gauge, it gets worn after Christmas and if it's tighter than last year I'm doing it wrong.

No doubt someone will wander along and say all of the above is rubbish but I'm definitely getting lighter.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Personally I eat a lot of complex carbs (though very little sugar). It's calories that matter. Porridge oats are very good nutrition - though pouring loads of sugary stuff on top not so good. Better to cut something other than oats out of your diet (e.g. biscuits, cake, crisps, butter, peanuts, beer).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Half a stone isn't a big yo-yo......
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
I want to be top fit and slim but it's not going to work because they don't make an exercise machine to match the curtains and cushions in the lounge, yeah right. Laughing

Reading this thread for the first time, this seems to sum it all up. Most of it reads like a litany of excuses as to why people who don't like exercise and eat too much self justify continuing to eat too much and not taking up exercise.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, agreed.
For what it's worth, in case anyone was wondering, although I'm not looking for any praise or accolades for this, I've lost 1st 2.5lbs since I started this thread, despite the lack of a kitchen, and eating out a lot at weekends. I hate weighing in every week though to see my progress, although TBH, if I don't get on the scales, I can kid myself I haven't gained anything, so I think a weekly weigh in will continue. I've been roughly following the slimming world plan, although i don't go to a weekly group, that really isn't me at all. I've cut down but by no means cut out the wine and G&Ts, and have volunteered to drive to keep the calories down when we're out.
Exercise wise, I started with good intentions and doubled the length of the evening dog walk, although this is proving difficult now it's the dark nights, and have kept up my Pilates class when I can get a place on it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Half a stone isn't a big yo-yo......

+/- 1/2 a stone = a total of 1 stone which I think is fairly substantial.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
it's been said on this thread before (I've not read it all so not sure how long ago) but try to pick up the pace on the walk, even if you walk the same amount of time you can do it quicker so you walk further. The cold and dark and rain will actually help here, you will want to walk faster. Today go to the next lamp post, tomorrow a little further, may be only 10 paces but soon you will be at the next lamppost then the next. keep the jumps small so they are achievable.May be these small achievements will motivate you to continue to do more even if you don't see results on the scale/tape measure the distance and will increase. You will be moving faster than before, you will be getting fitter
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
She can only walk as fast as her dog though...
snow conditions
@abc, absolutely, even on a lead, as one of them does like a stroll, rather than a brisk pace. One of them would run if I wanted to (I don't), but the other is a sniff every lampost, greet everyone kind. @Nik, as I said the length (and pace) have already increased , but difficult to do more right now. It's already dark and I'm usually at work until 5 or 6pm.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, bacon on the end of a fishing rod?

Congrats by the way, that's great progress.
latest report
who for?
ski holidays
@Penry, thanks.
snow report
@Hells Bells, nice one!!!!!
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, well done. I was aiming to lose a stone and a half. With my sedentary lifestyle over the last four weeks (most of which have been spent sitting around with my left leg elevated) I have lost precisely zilch. Sad
ski holidays
Exercise in itself is good for you regardless of weight. It is the regular increase in the pumping of the heart which is the beneficial part. Getting your heart rate in the right zone for 30 minutes (70% of your maximum) is the target.

Being fitter than average for my age, I only find that jogging will consistently get my heart rate in that zone for the period. Other excercises such as cycling, hill walking, etc will lift my heart rate for short periods (say going up a hill) but on average over 30 minutes will be below optimal for me.

For you, walking fast could be sufficient. Cycling might do it. Using a cross trainer will do it, while listening to music, and monitoring your actual heart rate. Before I broke my cross trainer, I would do 15 minutes to warm up my muscles before I did a run. Now I use a mini trampolene to warm up.

1. GET A HEART RATE MONITOR AND WORK OUT WHAT EXERCISE GETS YOUR HEART IN THE RIGHT ZONE

The next part of the equation with regards to losing weight is how much you eat. It is not so much what you eat, although this is important for internal health, it is mainly how much you eat relative to how much you need to eat. This can be averaged, so that if you are the type of person who finds eating more and then fasting suits you better, this is actually better for your health (in particular your digestive health benefits if you fast for a day or two whilst drinking plenty of water or green tea with lemon)

2. WORK OUT HOW MUCH YOU NEED TO EAT PER DAY ON AVERAGE TO MAINTAIN YOUR WEIGHT

When you know how much you burn on average per day in normal conditions, all you need to do is adjust that slightly over long periods of time. So say you are me, I know I need 2900 calories per day and 3 jogs a week to stay in balance. If I cut that to 2800 per day and 3 jogs per week over 6 months I will lose a couple of kilograms. So you see I do not restrict my diet, change it much, just on average eat very slightly less. Simple to say, but you have to measure what you eat and drink in its entirety every day including quantities.

3. REDUCE HOW MUCH YOU EAT PER DAY ON AVERAGE, OR INCREASE HOW MUCH YOU EXERCISE

This will do it. If you try to do too much, eat too little, you will not be able to sustain this in the long term. If it is long term change you want for your health, then taking a long term view is the best way to do it. Going on a crash diet, or extreme exercise binge, will lose weight but then you will stop doing it and put it all back on again. Measuring what you eat, and how much exercise you do, you can adjust it very slightly and maintain that over long periods of time (forever if you get really OCD about it).

4. WHAT WORKS FOR ONE PERSON DOES NOT WORK FOR OTHERS AS WE ARE NOT ALL THE SAME

However, the simple equation of eating less than you need will lose weight. Eating more than you need, will make you gain weight. Calories in equal calories spent, you should maintain your weight. If you are extreme about it you will not maintain it. So aim for small targets, over short periods, and large targets over long periods. The small targets over short periods should be easily achieveable, so that you can still have fun without feeling your life is too restricted.

I always fancied one of those always flowing swimming pools which gives you a constant current to swim against, but which is not much bigger than a spa bath. A great compromise for those who want their own pool, but do not have enough space.

This shows how OCD I am with regards to diet and exercise:

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 13-02-18 21:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Bigtipper, thanks but I'm not deaf or stupid wink.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, yeah but did you read all the small print? NehNeh
snow conditions
Get lipo and a stomach staple.
latest report
I'm back snowHead just to say I agree with this ....

Bigtipper wrote:
Getting your heart rate in the right zone for 30 minutes (70% of your maximum) is the target.

My cross trainer workout from Sunday. I'm at 70% intensity or greater for over 45 mins (the dips are stretching before upping the intensity, where I had a drink or where I went for a water bottle refill)

It's in German but pretty easy to work out, approx. 1.5 hour workout & just over 1000 cals (Polar Flow app from Polar V800 watch)

ski holidays
@Bigtipper, are you in a relationship?
latest report
@Thornyhill, I generally do not get many dinner dates if you are asking!

I had a BMI of 32 in 2005/2006, I was below 25 in 2007 and have stayed below 25 ever since. (usually between 22-24) A BMI over 30 is classed as obese, a BMI between 25-30 is overweight, and between 18-25 is normal. Below 18 is underweight.

Not everyone is of average bone mass, or shape, and so there is no strict target of BMI. Many rugby players in professional ranks have BMI's over 30 (due to muscle mass which is heavier than fat).

There are some formulae on what your maximum heart rate should be for your age on average (such as 220-age, or 207-0.7x age). There are also some tests you can do to determine your maximum heart rate. My maximum heart rate (when I last tested it) was much higher than the average expected for my age (closer to 200 than 173). Also my resting heart rate is always bradycardiac (i.e. lower than 60bpm, and often below 50bpm). This makes it difficult if your heart rate monitor is not very accurate (mine is a cheapo one, and very old, although I use it for consistency with previous measurements to test changes in my heart as I age)

I use other heart rate monitors to cross reference the one which straps to my chest. I get a reading from my blood pressure monitor, and one from my pulse oximeter. They all give the same readings at rest. (obviously I do not take my pulse oximeter and blood pressure monitors on a run with me, so it is the maximum heart rate which may be suspect: I think my mp3 player causes interference with the monitor especially if it is placed in close proximity)

To average 140 (70% of 200) I have to go jogging. I consistently get average hbpm of 135-140 on a run depending on speed over 30-50 minutes. At the end and during the run I am not out of breath, and generally feel like I am just warmed up. I no longer do stress tests, or maximum heart rate tests, as I am too old for that. I tend to avoid sprinting due to muscles which tear and are less flexible when you are older. It means I can do it regularly, without too much stress on my muscles.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bigtipper,

I've had my heart rate over 200 but that was approx. 20 years ago, even then it felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest and my head explode.

More recently I've reached 186 during interval training (typical for people around my age is 170), resting pulse is around 50 (+/- 2bpm)
Possibly similar to your actual values at the moment.

Prefer to use the Karvonen formula https://support.endomondo.com/hc/en-us/articles/201861343-Heart-Rate-Zones-Premium-feature-
based on current values (resting and max) rather than just a percentage of the max heart rate I once achieved.

135 to 140 would be too low for me.
Zone 3 (Aerobic) =145 to 158 bpm, any lower is just fat burning. I'll do recovery days in the fat burning zone, stamina days in the aerobic zone and then the odd power day with interval training. All with warm up and cool down phases at the each side of the exercise phase.
Should be doing the first ski tour in the next few days, hope all this training brings a performance improvement on the hill.
latest report
As for diet, I think there's a lot more to it than carbs, proteins, fat and calorie counting.

The Eskimos had a high fat & protein diet but were very healthly, other cultures had a plant based diet and were also very healthy. Our western diet is full of artifical additives, ingredients, colourings etc. Some disease rates in the western world are much higher (e.g. Cancer, Heart disease, high blood pressure etc).

I'm trying a plant based diet at the moment, it's early days but I sleep better, have trimmed down and recovery also seems to be improved.
Not yet 100% convinced and a lot of the info is conflicting

e.g. Look at our teeth and body form we are not natural carnivores. We aren't naturally built to kill cows or pigs (i.e. no sharp pincer teeth, no claws, not powerful enough) but there have been cases where parents have kept children on a strict vegan diet only for the child to suffer with things like B12 and Iron defficiency, things that our body needs that best come from meat, eggs and milk etc.

http://youtube.com/v/z0O_VYcsIk8
snow report
@DB, I did a max heart rate test after a 12 mile run about 10 years ago, when I sprinted for the last 100-200 metres. It peaked at 205. I decided to stop doing long distance running shortly after that, and focus on regular short distances at a sensible pace.

Now whether my maximum heart rate is still in that level is debateable, and so I tend to base my running exercise more on how I feel at the time than what my monitor says. Listening to your body sometimes means giving it a miss for a few days.
snow report
DB wrote:

I'm trying a plant based diet at the moment, it's early days but I sleep better, have trimmed down and recovery also seems to be improved.
Not yet 100% convinced and a lot of the info is conflicting

snow report
@Bigtipper,

The polar watch tracks all my exercise and tells me how much rest should be taken and when I should pull my finger out. With regular varied exercise, pushing it a bit at times and recovery days at other times I feel great. It's when I've had longer breaks in the exercise regime that I've felt sluggish, cranky and tired.
Each to their own but I really enjoy getting out in the mountains and for me the only thing better than doing a ski tour up a mountain in a day is doing two mountain ski tours in a day (with a couple of beers in the sun afterwards). Unfortunately what I can do in a day depends on my current fitness not what I could do 10 or 20 years ago. It's great when ski touring through the week to see pensioners ski touring up the mountains at a rate most half their age would struggle to achieve. No pain no gain, to get fit you need to push it a bit.
ski holidays
Stop making excuses, go and do things you don't like in order to get to a level of fitness you do like. We've all been there, not many people actually like the gym, you've just got to put in the hours end of story. Make sure everything that goes in your mouth is 50% fresh vegetables and give up anything with sugar in it for 5wks. You might be surprised at how much you lose.
Good luck x
latest report
@Thornyhill,
snowHead
Hommer Simpson said it best with "I'd be vegetarian if bacon grew on trees".

... and of course the success of a weight loss diet is often proportional to how rubbish it tastes.
snow report
Could this be THE fitness answer wink

http://youtube.com/v/MoRMUzljoAA
latest report
Long distance runners tend to have very low BMI, with extremely low body fat percentages. For example, Mo Farah has a BMI below 20. Although he advertises quorn, he is not a veggie.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/eat-athlete-mo-farah

The protein quality in chicken without skin is very good. It contains complete range of amino acids required for muscle repair. Eggs and fish are also complete quality proteins.

I do eat some quorn, and find its high fibre, low fat, and quality protein excellent for cleaning the digestive tract. I have also started eating some pure firm tofu, however I do not think I could be a complete vegetarian. It would not provide me with sufficient vitamin B12, iron and zinc. I would end up eating breakfast cereals all the time (like bran flakes).

Top tip from Mo Farah in the above article

"... Muscle build may look good, but it also slows you down....."
snow conditions
Low carb high fat. Look up professor Tim Noakes. The way forward. Most carbs are sugar in disguise.
You cannot exercise off weight. However exercise is very important for your body.
latest report
Article in the Daily Mail underscoring the importance of breakfast, and in the green bit, the importance of a big breakfast.

Then for those that like to knock the Daily Mail, there's a nonsensical bit about how this contradicts recent research when it clearly doesn't.
snow report
I'm still fighting to get under 17 stone and even though I'm hitting the gym near every day for a minimum of 60 min. (now) intense aerobic plus now adding resistance weights and my resting HR, in a year has dropped from mid 80s to very low 60s. I've reduced carbs, counted calories to no more than 1800 a day, my strength and mobility is becoming more in tune with my desires ... BUT! If anything my weight is increasing!!!! OK body shape is beginning to improve but I'm still a lardass 😟😟😟
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy