Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercise. Fitness and a bit less of the fatness

Poster: A snowHead
"I want to be top fit and slim but it's not going to work because they don't make an exercise machine to match the curtains and cushions in the lounge, yeah right. Laughing"

"Reading this thread for the first time, this seems to sum it all up. Most of it reads like a litany of excuses as to why people who don't like exercise and eat too much self justify continuing to eat too much and not taking up exercise."

Two quotes from thread above. Sadly, couldn't agree more. Fitness, weight loss, call it what you want, is really, REALLY simple and we can all do it: eat a bit less and more healthily; drink less booze; don't smoke; move more. But "really" move - don't go into a gym and pretend! How many times have I seen that...At the end of the day it takes some (proper) self discipline and...EFFORT and above all consistency. It's a bit hard sometimes, but what do you want to be: slim, sexy and confident and to waste your other half on the slopes or to moan about what a fat f*ck you are and feel sh*t?!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haha, cut to the chase @janny!

My problem is motivation and will power, last night I had an extra glass of port, this morning I didn't get onto my turbo trainer in the garage.

No the problem is "its nearly Christmas so I'll start after" and that's dangerous because in about three weeks you'll finish Christmas a damn site heavier and with less fitness.

I for one am hoping to get out more with the days off and keep going!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hello - am a newbie on here. I find exercising regularly hard to keep to - prefer to sit on the sofa with a glass of red. My motivation has been to get stronger and fitter for my next ski trip and with only 65 days to go I've been back in the gym for a month and even in that short period of time it has made a difference to how I feel and look despite not shedding much weight. It's more about weight redistribution at the moment in fact - less of it round the waist and more where it should be. The trick for me will be to get back into the gym when I get back from the trip and not return to the sofa...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Spin Doctor, welcome to snowHeads.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Fitness, weight loss, call it what you want, is really, REALLY simple and we can all do it
So true. Since September I have reduced from 93+Kg to around 85Kg. All I have done is cut out sugar in any form I can find it (i.e only real plain Greek yogurt, no McVities, no choc, no Apple juice etc. ) and no alc during the week. Supplemented by at least three sessions on spinning bikes in the gym / week. Feeling quite pleased with myself, BMI is now at 24 which is about where I want it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just looked at the downloads from my fitness watch for the last six days.
Over 27 hours of logged exercise (combination of avalanche course, ski touring and skiing so not always on the move) and more than 10,000 cals burnt in this time.

Down one notch on the belt, BMI under 23 and about 1 kg lighter. Feeling fit and just stuffed my face with the all-you-can-eat buffet at the local chinese without a hint of guilt. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DB, I once cycled 40 miles and ate an all-you-can-eat chinese lunch buffet. They came over and asked me if I would like to buy a drink, saw my camelbak full of water, and decided that by my response that I had sufficient water. The level of salt and sugar in chinese food is so high, that I only ever did it once. But man I enjoyed it!

I also only cycled 80 miles once to get two cans of homebrew beer. My legs were shaking in the last 5 miles from over exersion and lack of hydration and sugar. I just order it over the internet now, it is cheaper.

BMI is currently 22 and as I am fairly musclular and have thick bones, I have no intention on reducing this. 22 is the level at which my body fat is at absolute minimum. (I once tested it at below 7% using calipers which explains why I feel cold weather so much more than when my BMI was 32)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bigtipper,

7% Body fat Shocked , isn't that too low - esp. for a woman?

https://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If I was a woman it would be too low, that is true. I have not purchased an expensive body fat measurer, so I am probably inaccurate. However, I am definately well within athlete category for men. (probably 10%-14% fat) I have seen some body fat scales, and maybe for xmas if I find a cheap one I might get one.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Body-Fat-Tester-Calipers-With-Manual-Body-Fat-Charts-FREE-POST/172991539107?hash=item28471967a3:g:YXkAAOxyBXNSZDMh

On a second look at the second table, my age suggests I should have much higher body fat percentage. The text says that if you are fit for your age, you will not fit into the targets there. Definately not looking to lose weight from here.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB wrote:
@Bigtipper,

7% Body fat Shocked , isn't that too low - esp. for a woman?

https://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

It's very very low, Chris Froome was 9.8% when he was tested!! Did the tester take multiple measurements with the callipers inc leg, torso, arms and back?? It was painful when I had it done as this website shows you need to pinch the skin in multiple areas and then measure.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/measure-bodyfat
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can anyone suggest a tasty drink I can have through the evening that isn't pop, alcohol or water? Don't much like pop, too sweet; love beer & wine but acknowledge that it's often a default for want of anything else interesting; drink lots of water anyway and want something a little less innocuous in the evening. Any bright ideas?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eng_ch wrote:
Can anyone suggest a tasty drink I can have through the evening that isn't pop, alcohol or water? Don't much like pop, too sweet; love beer & wine but acknowledge that it's often a default for want of anything else interesting; drink lots of water anyway and want something a little less innocuous in the evening. Any bright ideas?

rooibos tea? it supposed to help with slimming as well
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Vitamin water is not too sweet. But not everyone likes the taste. It’s also expensive for what it is.

Unsweetened ice tea (assuming you want a cold drink)?

How about a bit of honey in whatever herbal tea of your fancy?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@eng_ch, lime and soda works for me...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eng_ch wrote:

Slightly off the wall suggestion:
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/comvita-manuka-honey-apple-cider-vinegar-60021214

OR

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/healthy-food-brands-honegar-original-60046892

I dilute 1 Tablespoon with a pint of water....but you can dilute less if necessary.

I have to drink 4 pints of liquid per day to help prevent Kidney Stones....so I've settled on Organic Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with Raw Honey (which is very good for you). I take it to help with Arthritic aches and pains and it may also help dissolve Kidney Stones.

You can of course buy the two separately and mix yourself. I actually enjoy the taste, which is less boring than water. I also use a straw, to help prevent any enamel erosion of my teeth.
snow conditions
Sorry, should have said, I'm after a cold drink because I drink tea all day. Also looking for something I can just pour out through the evening (if I have to mix and bottle it first is not a problem, just don't want to be getting up every 15 mins to fill my glass)

Lime & soda is probably the most promising suggestion so far... cordial or juice? (Not sure I've seen cordial here) Ginger ale is one of my favourite "designated driver" drinks, but not cheap and probably no less sugary than tonic water or pop. Might have to revert to G& slimline T
snow report
@eng_ch,

With one of these you can flavour the water with whatever you like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bevgo-Fruit-Infuser-Water-Bottle/dp/B01538HY2K/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_200_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=KYJDTS26PCJ1KB0R1C2E&tag=amz07b-21

... alternatively invest in a higher quality mixer (min 25000 rpm & 1200w) then mix in a full fruit with the water, you could also throw a bit of ginger in too.

Many books are available for fruit infused water e.g.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinny-Fruit-Infused-Water-Recipe-Book/dp/1910771422/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MZ8EDGM4DQEB94K635F4&tag=amz07b-21

.... a lot less boring than plain water and much more healthy than the sugar-infused processed "fruit juices"
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jan/17/how-fruit-juice-health-food-junk-food

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 9-12-17 20:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@eng_ch, Lime and soda is made with cordial.

You not a fan of Rivella ?
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
I like cycling, but always see it as a social activity. Hubby speeds off at a fair rate of knots and I spend much of the ride on my own. There's a Breeze group locally but rides set off on at 5;30pm in summer, on a day I'm at work until 6. The Alps is not really the place for some gentle cycling to get me back in the swing either, and we don't have many safe cycling routes on my doorstep. There are some locally, but many would need me to put bike on/in the car, as cycling through the city centre to get there would scare me witless.

If hubby speeds off, he needs a stern talking-to. Mrs Jonny used to be much slower than me on a bike so for several years I adjusted my pace and the length of my rides to suit her. She soon caught up. Tell him to regard riding slowly with you as an investment in both his future riding and his marriage.

If the Alps are too steep, you need to change the gearing on your bike. If riding uphill is hard work, that's the fault of the bike, not the rider. If you run out of gears on your local hills, ask a bike mechanic to fit a larger cassette and/or a smaller chain wheel. If your gearing is right, you'll be able to ride comfortably on any hill until it gets so steep that your tyres start slipping.

City centres are actually very safe places to ride a bike because cars are moving slowly so altercations with traffic are rarely serious. But don't start with the city centre: gradually, consciously and slowly expose yourself to busier roads and you'll soon find it's not as scary as you originally thought.

Cycling in the summer mixed with skiing in the winter sounds like a near-perfect mix!
snow report
Quote below and my comments - generally, v mixed feelings about what is said...

"If hubby speeds off, he needs a stern talking-to. TRICKY ONE, THIS - IT COULD END WITH ONE OR OTHER PARTY FRUSTRATED...WHY SHOULD SHE HOLD HIM BACK.....??? Mrs Jonny used to be much slower than me on a bike so for several years I adjusted my pace and the length of my rides to suit her. She soon caught up. Tell him to regard riding slowly with you as an investment in both his future riding and his marriage UNDERSTAND THE POINT, BUT IT'S NOT TO BE ALL ONE-SIDED. IS SHE REALLY TRYING HARD, ETC, ETC? MAYBE YES, MAYBE NO...TRICKY ONE.

If the Alps are too steep, you need to change the gearing on your bike. If riding uphill is hard work, that's the fault of the bike, not the rider. HMMM, HIGHLY, HIGHLY, DEBATABLE POINT - NOT A GENERAL COMMENT YOU CAN MAKE AT ALL - THERE ARE MANY FACTORS THAT COME INTO PLAY....WEIGHT, FITNESS, WEATHER, BIKE, GEARING, ETC ... If you run out of gears on your local hills, ask a bike mechanic to fit a larger cassette and/or a smaller chain wheel. If your gearing is right, you'll be able to ride comfortably on any hill until it gets so steep that your tyres start slipping NOT TRUE!.

City centres are actually very safe places to ride a bike because cars are moving slowly so altercations with traffic are rarely serious NOW YOU ARE TALKNG NONSENSE, SORRY TO SAY. But don't start with the city centre: gradually, consciously and slowly expose yourself to busier roads and you'll soon find it's not as scary as you originally thought.

Cycling in the summer mixed with skiing in the winter sounds like a near-perfect mix! VERY TRUE!

snow report Sun 10 Dec, 17
01:12 Reply with quote
ski holidays
the odd coke zero can be drunk as it does not have any of the crap in it that diet coke has.
ski holidays
eng_ch wrote:
Lime & soda is probably the most promising suggestion so far... cordial or juice? (Not sure I've seen cordial here)

Cordial in the UK, although I've had it with fresh limes in Europe....
ski holidays
Bigtipper wrote:
If I was a woman it would be too low, that is true. I have not purchased an expensive body fat measurer, so I am probably inaccurate. However, I am definately well within athlete category for men. (probably 10%-14% fat) I have seen some body fat scales, and maybe for xmas if I find a cheap one I might get one.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Body-Fat-Tester-Calipers-With-Manual-Body-Fat-Charts-FREE-POST/172991539107?hash=item28471967a3:g:YXkAAOxyBXNSZDMh

On a second look at the second table, my age suggests I should have much higher body fat percentage. The text says that if you are fit for your age, you will not fit into the targets there. Definately not looking to lose weight from here.

Ok, I purchased one of these body-fat calipers on Xmas and it was delivered today. I have followed the instructions, and after taking 6 readings at suprailiac, the average reading according to their charts and my age say I have a body fat percentage of 10%-11%. This seems very lean, and I certainly do not think I am skinny, but I will not be trying to lose any more weight as clearly this level of fat is fine for me.

However, the formula to estimate body fat from your BMI, suggests my body fat percentage is closer to 23% which is a bizarre difference only accountable due to the fact that I must have more muscle mass than average for my age.

(Adult body fat % = (1.20 × BMI) + (0.23 × Age) − (10.8 × sex) − 5.4 where sex is 1 for males and 0 for females.)
snow report
So back home after our 3 weeks away. No idea how much I've gained while I've been away, but for a change I skied almost every day of the 3 weeks (only stayed home when weather was really pants), and for longer. I'll get back on the scales in a week or so when I've got my brain back into gear. I had one day of thighs complaining, but nowhere near as much as usual.
snow report
I’m still keeping at my gym regime after the best part of three months. Hoping it will pay off on the slopes in 2 weeks. Anyone got any favourite ski exercises to do I the last two weeks? I have been gradually increasing the weight on walking lunges, squats and leg presses but am bored stiff of them!
ski holidays
Spin Doctor wrote:
I’m still keeping at my gym regime after the best part of three months. Hoping it will pay off on the slopes in 2 weeks. Anyone got any favourite ski exercises to do I the last two weeks? I have been gradually increasing the weight on walking lunges, squats and leg presses but am bored stiff of them!

Use a BOSU for balance (using both sides)...check Youtube for ski related ideas.
ski holidays
throw on some youtube videos on your tv. there are lots of ski/snowboard related exercise for stretching, etc.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:

Use a BOSU for balance (using both sides)...check Youtube for ski related ideas.

Had a crack at it this evening standing on it and combining it with other weight bearing exercise - think it’s a winner. Going to look up some more exercises. Thank you!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spin Doctor wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Had a crack at it this evening standing on it and combining it with other weight bearing exercise - think it’s a winner. Going to look up some more exercises. Thank you!

No probs.
snow report
Gained precisely 300g in 3 weeks of skiing. Felt much better, and could ski for longer each day, even though I know I could still be a lot fitter. I'll work on that one a lot more over the summer. The scales are heading downwards again, despite the birthday parties, and wine.
snow report
@Hells Bells, excellent...well done you
snow report
@Hells Bells, I always gain a load of weight skiing - Food is just too tasty, so that is a great effort.
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, I was there for almost 3 weeks, and it was a huge temptation to tuck into the tartiflettes and fondues. I didn't starve myself by any means, but was a lot more careful choosing my food.
ski holidays
I now can understand why people don't return to the gym. Either quit the gym and be fat (it was tempting) or never take a month off. DOMS from hell!!!! Days and days..... Or on returning to the gym be more sensible about it than I was. Now I have just over 6 weeks to get fit again, fingers crossed...
ski holidays
@Nik, if really bad after try a sports massage. That I have felt a god send after returning to hockey after injury and without the required fitness level for what my brain wanted me to do! Though be warned they REALLY hurt, it does help.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
@SnoodlesMcFlude,
Quote:

I hate running...and whenever I exercise properly I usually eat a lot. But as others say, you need to be committed and I'm not, which is why I'm fat and unfit.
Ditto

Gym treadmill but not flat. Increase the angle to >15 deg. Set walking pace to 5m/sec. And do the fake uphill walk. Gets the cardio going. Pulse to 150-160 for 8 mins then flatten machine and slow to 3m/sec to get pulse back to single figs (or below 110)

Jump off, and do leg stretches sitting down. Take ipad with something for an hour.

Repeat as often as you like.

Hotels, use stairs going up.

Out for a walk? walk normal pace on flat but increase speed going uphill.

Going shopping, park the car at the far end of the car park and carry bags from door to car.

All of this in small doses but regular makes a difference. I'm on this regime from last week and it makes a difference.

Lift weights in the evening. currently my weight of choice is Cabernet Merlot. Happy
latest report
NickyJ
Honestly washing my legs hurt. I am stupid and I know it. I did same as you, I usually train hard 6 times a week, never taken more than 2 weeks off in about 15 years and that's for a ski holiday. I did brave a massage 4 days later. Thanks though.
snow report
Indoor rowing seems to be the exercise I can most easily do (convenient, not weather dependent, not overly long, low impact exercise) which I've only started doing seriously since getting back. Anyone have any experience as to how to how it roughly translates to ski fitness?

Would be nice to do top to bottom runs with aggressive slalom turns / bump skiing / busting through crud.
snow report
So despite some of the patronising and quite frankly, occasionally hurtful comments I had , I've manage to keep the weight off I lost before the skiing started, and although a couple of kilos went back on, I'm now back to the less than 70 kilos again, and back on the healthy diet again.
I also discovered Agrum Zero to drink in France although I still much prefer wine and G&T wink. Pouring a glass and drinking while making dinner does stop me from opening the wine though. Now the weather is drier the dogs walks are longer too.
My verdict on my fitness was that it was much improved. I got out of bed earlier, skied for longer and didn't hurt so much the next day. On longer trips, I didn't make excuses to take the day off, although skiing in nil visibility was too much on a couple of occasions. But that had nothing to do with my fitness.
latest report
Quote:

skiing in nil visibility was too much on a couple of occasions. But that had nothing to do with my fitness.

More to do with remembering it's supposed to be fun!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy