Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercise. Fitness and a bit less of the fatness

Poster: A snowHead
@Weathercam, i like a man who sacrifices good nutrition for some extra booze
wink
@Hells Bells, my 2 cents - Do stuff you like. You like dog walking and you yave to dog walk, so gradually pick up the intensity, speed and difficulty. Add 100m a day to the walk and after 10 days try and wak it quicker and quicker. Then introduce some hillier terrain. MAKE A PLAN.

Diets in most cases do not work - again have a plan. 2 small, healthy meals a day, times to suit you and a healthy but smaller dinner. Make sure each meal is balanced. Make sure it is delicious. NO desserts and bin the booze.

Ecercise will gett you fitter, eating healthy will lose the weight. Try not to confuse the 2. Unless you are a pro standard athlete then you have to watch what you eat to lose weight. Maintaining weight is a bit different.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also generally worth bearing in mind you (I assume) mean fat loss not weight loss, and the two aren't entirely interchangeable
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm sure your body gets used to what you eat & adapts itself somehow. I've found that occasionally shaking it up & changing what you eat for breakfast makes a difference - so instead of having egg on toast, try some cereal or grapefruit and toast & marmite. For me, breakfast is very much a meal of habit/convenience & has to be quick & easy. Currently it's fresh fruit & natural (full fat) yogurt. It doesn't sound as if you eat too much anyway, so just changing breakfast & tricking your body might help.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Nadenoodlee, I can also promise you that I will NEVER like running in the end. Really.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@clarky999, my weight to height ratio would suggest that I need both fat loss and weight loss.

A couple of things. I will eat anything but breakfast cereal, with the exception of porridge (and genepi grapefruit would be my Room 101 choice) I really don't see the point of either.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As has been said, Diet is best for losing weight....but your metabolism can be kick started with HIIT (High Intensity Interval training).

You can choose a 4 minute Tabata workout, which requires no "gear". It's not a gimmick, but it is a tough 4 minutes....2 x 4 min sessions a week will give good results. There are easier versions for beginners, if this is too daunting.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2016/02/05/tabata-training.aspx

A bit of googling will come up with ideas for the 4 minutes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't have toast or cereal. They're both simple carbs, ie sugar. Eggs and fruit and natural yogurt are better and will fill you up for longer. I know everyone swears by porridge but I hate it. I'd rather go hungry!

I don't run anymore but love to dance. Hells Bells, have you tried zumba? Good fun and calorie burner. I also do ballet twice a week which is hardcore, although it looks easy! I love swimming but like you, it is a faff, but I make sure that if I take a holiday, a hotel with a pool is a must. And I use it everyday. Tennis? I'm rubbish but I take lessons at the local club. It not expensive as it's group lessons and you don't even have to be a member. Get in touch with your local club as they might do something similar. I only found out about them from a friend so you may be missing out unless you ask.

Most of my clothes are tight. If I put on weight I am uncomfortable which makes me want to lose it. Never have "fat clothes" hanging around as if you have nothing to wear it focuses the mind! This is particularly difficult on holiday, when, by the end of the week, I have put on several pounds as usual rules don't apply Laughing .

Lastly, prepare to be hungry. I am, a lot of the time Sad . But then I'm a Kate Moss fan. Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. (Disclaimer, this is probably not a healthy way of looking at things but it works for me.)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells wrote:
@clarky999, my weight to height ratio would suggest that I need both fat loss and weight loss.

The numbers on the scale only show a very small part of the picture. If you do lots of sport it's totally possible to lose fat, put on muscle, and be far healthier, stronger and more toned while weighing more/not being 'overweight.'
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weathercam wrote:
davidof wrote:
.....You could buy one of those 6 grand Specialized e-Bikes like Gavin's just bought......

Bloody hell that's nigh on libelous!

As most will think I've bought an electronic bike from that statement Toofy Grin

It's actually an S-Works Roubaix eTap

What's in that black thing on the bottom bracket? I assumed it was one of those Bosch ebike motors.

Back to Hells' post. Lots of good advice already. I wouldn't particularly advise cycling for weight loss, in fact I'm not sure sport, as opposed to more activity (Gavin's fitbit post is pertinent) is necessarily the right way to go. Take cycling. If you do short beastings along the local roads you burn sugar rather than fat. It is then quite easy to overdo calorie intake when you get back satisfied you've just burnt off a load of a calories. For cycling you really need to be doing more than 2 hours and at a slow pace (which is probably what you'll be doing anyway from your first post) so that your body starts burning fat rather than sugar. That's a lot of time. That's why pro cyclists are always on strict diets (well apart from Carlos Betancur) as well as all the sport they do.

I would be very careful about what you eat (perhaps you are already). Food has got really bad - lots of corn syrup and palm oil and other rubbish.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 28-08-17 20:47; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells Bells wrote:

Or grow a bit taller!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How about keeping a daily diary here of every single thing you eat or drink. Be really honest with yourself (and us.........) if you never eat sugar and rarely eat carbs, what's doing the damage?

Personally I can't lose weight without exercise. It does burn calories, it does raise your metabolic rate and resting muscle burns more calories than resting fat. But perhaps more important, it makes me like myself more, feel better and more motivated. But I should do more! (Shouldn't we all, except weathercam?)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
How about keeping a daily diary here of every single thing you eat or drink. Be really honest with yourself (and us.........) if you never eat sugar and rarely eat carbs, what's doing the damage?

Personally I can't lose weight without exercise. It does burn calories, it does raise your metabolic rate and resting muscle burns more calories than resting fat. But perhaps more important, it makes me like myself more, feel better and more motivated. But I should do more! (Shouldn't we all, except weathercam?)

I used to get people to keep an honesty diary in financial services. Maybe two good salaries coming in but always skint. It was invariably all the little extras doing the damage. Startbucks here, newspaper there to kill 15 minutes before an appointment. Add it up at the end of the month and it tends to be a lot. I imagine the same would apply to the odd snack or extra slice of cheese.

I used to have to be careful about eating and beer when work consisted of moving a mouse and working a pen. Now work is exercise I can eat like a pig without any detrimental effects. It is kinda handy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@maggi, I really really can't do hungry. I would probably have been divorced by now if I followed that principal. Believe me, none of you would really want to know me when I'm hungry. TBH I'd rather be fat than hungry. Being thin is not really my aim, being more healthy is.
@davidof, I eat food cooked from scratch, no fast food or ready meals, and only an occasional takeaway. No corn syrup definitely, and I check for palm oil for environmental concerns.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'd surmise maybe your resting heart rate might be on the high side,

@weathercam you may be surmising wrongly there, it's a fairly average 74 bpm.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm no exercise fan but I go spinning once a week and enjoy that. It's knackering but it's only 40 minutes and you definitely feel as though you've worked out. I used to enjoy boxercise as well. I think classes are a good way to keep fit, and are more motivating.

I'm also trying to be more healthy and lose a bit of weight but I absolutely HATE dieting. I've cut out cheese and chocolate, I'm cooking lower-calorie meals and I've stopped drinking as much wine. I'm now on the afore-mentioned gin diet! I'm not expecting weight to fall off me, but hopefully I'll lose a few pounds over the coming months.
snow report
I'm quite surprised about the (semi-)pros comments here on cycling. About 3 years ago I got the cycling bug and started doing a few circuits in the Surrey Hills here. Typically about 1 hour about 3-5 times a week (before of after work) and then one or two trips a couple of hours each at the weekend. Each route eventually involved about 450m of climbing (ok so nothing compared to the others contributing here Crying or Very sad ), involving several sections of panting and sweating followed by similar periods of recovery on the downhill sections. I've had quite a bit of back trouble lately, but cycling actually improved my back up until about 1hr45 when it started giving me a bit of jip. I lost about 10kg in the first couple of months, then the weight stabilised for another couple, then I lost another 5kg in the next couple - leaving me the lightest I'd been since age 35. The shorter route was up out of town onto a local ridge and back down again - I started off just trying to get up it without having to walk any bits, then upping the number of 6km laps, then working on reducing the lap times. The longer one was a single circuit of about 50km (which I'd do in opposite directions for variety).

The thing that worked for me was doing the same route over and over again, seeing my progress by the reduction in time over given stretches - I reduced the time of the 50km ride by about 30 mins over that period. This may, however, be more of a masculine approach than Hells Bells is comfortable with. The side effect (which may have had as much an effect on the weight-loss as the actual exercise) was that I felt much less inclined to graze than when sitting around as a couch potato - after a ride I'd generally look to fill myself up afterwards with a few sticks of celery, a carrot and a few nuts rather than raid the fridge for another hunk of cheese. I probably also ate more substantial breakfasts (more eggs, less cereal/toast) and so felt less hungry later in the day. So that goes along with the arguments made above about reducing carbs - but it was achieved as a result of the increased exercise rather than as a conscious plan.

Unfortunately I got out of the habit after a bout of tonsillitis (and a lazy holiday) and haven't got back into the habit again since.....and I'm back to being a bit porky again Sad Embarassed

(I also don't do running - even before my back problems I was awful, but now I can't jog more than about 1-200m before the pains start)
ski holidays
@Ray Zorro, thanks.

Also my parents started it 6months after I did after seeing the impact it was having with me and they are also still doing it. The regular health checks they were and have since had all showed very positive improvements in lots of ways not just weight.

Another thought - Hells Bells you say you rather read a book (so with you there) I sometimes listen to audio books while doing my work out in the gym, which makes it much more enjoyable.
ski holidays
If you like reading then why not read book while on a home trainer / cross trainer. Fat burning zone = low intensisty but long duration, after a few sessions it really doesn't feel like much effort at all.

To keep my weight down between the end of the summer biking season and the ski season I have a cross trainer in the cellar and either read my Kindl or listen to music. Am thinking of putting a TV down there too so I can watch TV or use the playstation at the same time.
latest report
Some good ideas here, thanks guys.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@maggi, I really really can't do hungry. I would probably have been divorced by now if I followed that principal. Believe me, none of you would really want to know me when I'm hungry. TBH I'd rather be fat than hungry. Being thin is not really my aim, being more healthy is.
@davidof, I eat food cooked from scratch, no fast food or ready meals, and only an occasional takeaway. No corn syrup definitely, and I check for palm oil for environmental concerns.

Sounds like you could have a sugar addiction which isn't good for your figure or your health.

https://bodyecology.com/articles/10-secrets-for-ending-sugar-cravings.php

http://danielplan.com/healthyhabits/sugaraddiction/

Herbs that break a sugar addiction .....

http://www.livestrong.com/article/78758-herbs-break-sugar-addiction/

I have a sweet tooth and my Dad has Diabetes so I'm concerned about this too.

Suspect that in a western world where sugar is everywhere that many of us are addicted to sugar and are experiencing blood sugar levels spikes which the body counteracts by storing the sugar as fat to get blood sugar levels down, then we feel hungry again and the cycle starts again. Plus I suspect our digestive system is living off sugar/carbs rather than fat so as the blood sugar level yo-yo's we just get fatter and fatter
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, should have mentioned check out Felix in Briancon (Ken has been riding with him) friends with many people you know, also has three husky type dogs that have been mistaken for wolves - he's really into his nutrition and fasting for fitness and is always posting loads of links and stuff https://www.facebook.com/felix.f.davis

And re resting HR 74 sounds high to me, compared to a what I've always been lead to believe (60) though a wee bit of googling and 74 is in the accepted levels. Like I say you would see that come down quite quickly I reckon.

And @GrahamN, that was quite a substantial amount of hours in a week that you were putting in cycling compared to what others might be able to achieve and the mere fact that you are now no longer maintaining sort of bears that out.

Looking back over the three rides since Fri I was doing about 1,500 calories a ride over 2.5hrs. You really have to be doing a lot of riding to see weight loss and as others have said it's so easy to binge out when you get back in the false belief that you are in calorie deficit.

@Hells Bells, walks the dogs every day, so the best option is how to capitalise on that time outside every day and simply work a sweat up, though I would not recommend Tabata at this stage!!!!!
snow report
Average HR is about 72-25, accepted range of 60-100.
snow report
@Hells Bells, I cannot do hungry either, I am not a nice person when I am hungry, but 5:2 I can just about do. In desperate times diet coke and cooked chicken - the traditional "crash" diet
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

@Hells Bells, walks the dogs every day, so the best option is how to capitalise on that time outside every day and simply work a sweat up, though I would not recommend Tabata at this stage!!!!!

You're probably right.

I was really putting HIIT and Tabata on the radar of HB as a concept. It is something that can be worked up to/eased into and takes very little time, for the benefits it gives.
latest report
@DB,
Quote:

Sounds like you could have a sugar addiction
How do you work that out? Confused
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@DB,
Quote:

Sounds like you could have a sugar addiction
How do you work that out? Confused

When someone is addicted to something they get cranky when they don't have it (e.g. drugs, sugar or skiing).
Often it's not the main food but the sauce that goes with it that contains the sugars and associated high cals (e.g. Salad dressing, BBQ Sauce etc).
There's a lot of hidden sugar in western world foods, just because someone doesn't eat the obvious high sugar foods (cakes & choc's) doesn't mean they are not addicted to sugar.

Just trying to help you find what it could be.

My Name is DB and I once almost finished a 1 kg packet of peanut M&M's in one go. Embarassed

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 29-08-17 11:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
HIIT can be started at any fitness level (according to Jillian Michaels - 30 day shred) dont wait until you`re "fit" to do it. I can run 10k no worries, but level 1 of her program still kills me, even though she assures me "she has 400lb people who can do jumping jacks" so I should be able to crack on.
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, @Old Fartbag, closed season / when pushed for time I do Tabata intervals on my turbo (bike on standing trainer), I do them so they hurt and come the eighth with two more still to go I'm wondering if I can finish them.

There's no way you should be advocating doing anything like this to people who are not used to going into severe oxygen debt.

For sure six months down the line when @Hells Bells, is ripping it up maybe.

Take it gradually and get used to being out of breath, remember "no pain no gain" Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
@Nadenoodlee, @Old Fartbag, closed season / when pushed for time I do Tabata intervals on my turbo (bike on standing trainer), I do them so they hurt and come the eighth with two more still to go I'm wondering if I can finish them.

There's no way you should be advocating doing anything like this to people who are not used to going into severe oxygen debt.

For sure six months down the line when @Hells Bells, is ripping it up maybe.

Take it gradually and get used to being out of breath, remember "no pain no gain" Toofy Grin

No problem with any of that...but at least it's on the table as an idea. There is no reason that it can't be gradually worked up to, so as to allow your body to get used to it (as long as it's medically safe)....as in MIIT (Medium Intensity).
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hiit-exercise-inexperienced_us_5655e1ffe4b079b28189ddac

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 29-08-17 11:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@DB,
Quote:

My Name is DB and I once almost finished a 1 kg packet of peanut M&M's in one go.

Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
I'd like to be able to do HIIT - because you don't have to spend hours doing it - but cardiologist says no. Sad
ski holidays
A new swimsuit purchased, so that's the next couple of weeks sorted. We'll just about have the pool to ourselves.
@DB, as I do not eat processed foods, eat sweets, chocolate or cakes on a regular basis, and hate 'pop' of any sort I'm unlikely to have a sugar addiction. I make my own salad dressing, and there's definitely no sugar in it. My meals are all cooked from scratch. again, no sugar in them.
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, I have the 30 day shred at home, but doing anything at floor level with 2 dogs around is hilarious, as they think you are ill and in need of a big lick.
snow report
@Hells Bells, ref the food log: I think this a good place to start. I find the app "MyFitnessPal" a real boon for this - it has a bar code reader to make it easy to record all your intake, or if you have standard meals ( e.g. your breakfast of 'not porridge') it's a single button press once set up.

If you put in personal details at the beginning, as well as goals, it will give you a daily calorie intake to achieve those goals, as well as , if linked to a fitbit or other HRM, what you've done exercise wise. Additionally you can share your achievements with a fitness partner, so can keep an eye out for each other. And a daily blog of hints and tips.

Just seeing it on the screen I find incredibly motivational.

BTW, thanks everyone else for the ideas about weight loss. There's a couple of ideas I think I could try. As a type I diabetic I'm finding it difficult to lose weight - more exercise? = more insulin, more carbs. Time to see the nutritionist I think...

PS hate running with a passion - used to do half marathons, then knees started objecting to pavement pounding. Cycling , and hill s in particular are they way I'm going at the moment.
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, I agree that the food log is a good place to start. Bit of a PITA when you make everything from scratch but once it's in MyFitnessPal it gets easier to update.

@Hells Bells, Good luck with it. You know the science. More calories in than being expended so a good look, via an honestly kept food (and drink) log, should show where the damage is being done - it might be ingredients, it might be portion size, we all know alcohol has empty calories
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@DB, as I do not eat processed foods, eat sweets, chocolate or cakes on a regular basis, and hate 'pop' of any sort I'm unlikely to have a sugar addiction. I make my own salad dressing, and there's definitely no sugar in it. My meals are all cooked from scratch. again, no sugar in them.

Great we are making progress.
Healthly eating and small portions = check.
No sugar craving = check.

Moving on, how many bottles of gin do you drink each day? wink

Seriously, the cals must be coming from somewhere if you are overweight with a great diet like that.

Some of the fittest people (esp older people) I've met were Ramblers - not always the slimmest though (Beer, Gin, Newcastle Brown Ale, Pork Scratchings etc)

http://www.walkingindurham.co.uk/groups.php
snow report
@Hells Bells, I have a toddler who thinks it is hilarious to climb over me, throw a cup at me, drop a dumbell on the cat when I am doing the video - so i sympathise. At least you can shut them outside, people frown on that with the baby....
ski holidays
Hangry (Angry when hungry)
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/science-hangry-or-why-some-people-get-grumpy-when-they-re-hungry/
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, Laughing Laughing
snow report
@Arctic Roll, a friend who is an insulin-dependent Type 2 diabetic turned vegan in January. He's lost several stones, reduced his HbA1C to an almost impossible level. Vegan diets are of course not for all, and certainly not for me, but you could try a plant based diet with restricted animal products.

@DB, the fat content of my diet could probably do with reducing, and the veg could probably do with increasing. And yes, the alcohol is probably a factor. I have not gained weight for quite a while, it has actually been steady for several years, but should be lower.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy