Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
Given what appear to be an abundance of snow now and forecast, we are thinking of booking for Christmas. Any companies which do lessons starting Sunday and finishing Tuesday / wednesday for a nervous blue run skier.

Any recommendations appreciated?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most of the ski schools do start their lessons on Sunday.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think most will also do 2 3 4 day packs
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unreal conditions Sat afternoon, 30cm top up, cold, sunny and almost empty, despite season passes being valid.
Chavannes Express on the left, and doing a run into an untracked bowl.

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Nickbrad, According to the web site they start on 23rd.
http://info.chatel.com/les-navettes-de-chatel.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, potentially stupid question, and sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere. I'm arriving late on a Friday night, aprox 23:00 - but my transfer to Avoriaz drops off at Prodains Cable car, which runs until 00:00 which is fine, however our lift passes will start from the Saturday. Is the cable car free to use or is there a cash option? I don't want to pay 41 euros for an extra days lift pass to ride one cable car. Also, with the list pass, if I buy them online do I collect them from the ticket office? If so, I won't have it anyway.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can pay for a pedestrian pass which only a few euros
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That’s brilliant, thanks for letting me know. God forbid we miss the last cable car, what are my options? How much will it be for a taxi? Hopefully not too expensive.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you're getting a transfer and you miss the last cable car then surely the transfer company should be bound to get you up there? I'm sure as you're that far up the valley you'd be the last drop off so don't see why they wouldn't carry on up (Road conditions allowing)

With regards to your lift passes we paid for ours online 2 years ago and they were posted to the UK for us. You just pay an extra 3 euros for the card which is reusable as you top up online each subsequent trip. You'll then have no issues with queuing at the ticket office on Saturday morning
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The transfer company (easy bus) only drop at prodains cable car not Avoriaz, we paid £38pp return from Geneva.

We could have got a private transfer directly to Avoriaz, but they were coming out A LOT more expensive.

I would be surprised if they continued up to Avoriaz if we missed the last cable car, but you never know.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’d be surprised if easybus even collect you never mind get you to Prodains. As for driving you up to Avoriaz if you miss the last lift... I’d plan for a long cold night huddled in a doorway somewhere in the vicinity of the prodains lift.

Seriously though, I’d re-think my transfer plans if I was relying on easybus and only had an hour spare. Have a google of their reputation in Morzine over last couple of seasons... Taxis can be few and far between at that time of night and an hour delay on flights into GVA (assuming that’s your plan) is common at the end of the day - not a risk I’d be willing to take.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Even if you stick with easy bus - definitely have a contingency planned. As@Dashed said delays are common and easy bus work like a scheduled bus. They won’t wait for you, they’ll leave on time without you (they will put you on the next bus but it sounds like you might be on the last one).

My brother’s plane was delayed last year and there was no room on any subsequent buses so he had to get a very expensive transfer (those cheap easy bus tickets weren’t so cheap in the end!!!!)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hello Handy,
I rather agree with Dashed. I have been to Prodains a lot and the base station there is no place to wait for dawn. There is though a nice little hotel called the Prodains Hotel, run by a guy called Pascal. Might be worth at least getting his number into your phone and seeing if he has any vacancies. If all goes horribly wrong, you should know in time to see if he would give you a bed.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’ve got plenty of time to catch the bus at Geneva, so fingers crossed there arent an long flight delays.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Make a note of a few local taxi numbers before you travel. Then at least you'll have an hour or so on the bus, or more, to ring around for a lift up to Avoriaz if it looks like you'll miss the cable car.
snow conditions
And don't stay on the bus up to Prodains if you're going to miss it. The taxi will be quicker and cheaper if you get off in Morzine, you'll just waste 30 mins going up and down to Prodains for nothing. (Prodains is not on the road to Avoriaz!)
latest report
@WillowWilson, Assuming the best, and you do make it up before the Télépherique closes, then unless you're staying right near the top station, you will need transport to your accommodation.
The famous pony and traps only run until nightfall, after which you need a rat-track.
These can be arranged from the resort entrance where there is an Arrivals desk, but from the Teleph at that time of night, you will need to call it yourself.
+33(0) 4 50 74 01 55
snow report
@WillowWilson, Also travelling to Prodains on Friday night arriving on the Manchester to Geneva flight which is due to arrive at 21:05. We have booked transfers with Alpybus (assuming they turn up). If you haven't already paid for your transfers with easybus it might be worth re-booking with Alpybus. There is more chance they will turn up if there are more people booked on. Or if worse comes to worse a shared taxi might be possible. We are booked to stay in Prodains so can't help with the gondola.
latest report
WillowWilson wrote:
I’ve got plenty of time to catch the bus at Geneva, so fingers crossed there arent an long flight delays.

What do you consider plenty of time?

I’d seriously listen to the advice on here and do some research on easybus. Plenty of other more reliable options (skiidi etc) but there’s no way I would cut things this fine with any operator like EB.

Plus, bear in mind that taxis are not that easy to come by in Morzine, especially at short notice and late at night.

Or chose to ignore all the advice but do pop back to the thread and update us on how it went!!
latest report
@WillowWilson, you mean you are scheduled to arrive at Prodains at 23h00?

EasyBus (which are nothing to do with EasyJet - just co-branded under contract) - have a well documented habit of cancelling services if they are going to be under populated.

Which I suppose just means you'll be stuck at Geneva airport rather than at Prodains.
ski holidays
Les Gets are opening tomorrow, gonna be dry and sunny until late afternoon, looks like 40cm last night and still falling. Tools down time, apart from the iron and workbench.
snow report
Thanks for all your advice - I’m not going until Feb, so plenty of time to think about back up plans etc.
snow report
https://www.morznet.com/news/exciting-developments-in-morzine-morzine-712713

There have been a number of changes to the Pleney and Nyon sectors of Morzine ahead of winter this year.

Over the summer, a number of trees and bushes were removed in order to widen the slopes. The Granges and Grizzli pistes have been improved in order to provide a better link between Nyon and Pleney and make returning to Morzine easier. The Nyon gondola has also been given a facelift with renovated cabins for this winter.

€700,000 euros have been spent to improve snow-making facilities around the mountain. This was becoming increasingly urgent due to the last couple of years of little or no snow at the start of winter, although this year it is not looking quite so necessary.

The snowpark on the Nyon plateau is also changing this winter. A new company has been put in place to construct a new and redesigned park and boarder-cross area and help attract more people to the mountain.
snow conditions
@no_snow_in_swindon, nice to see the work being done.
snow conditions
Granges is a blue that often many intermediate skiers freeze on, so good to read that it is getting improved. No idea where the Grizzli piste is, anyone?
latest report
Les Gets was open today Happy
Snow base is good and cannons on although with maybe 50cm in town not essential.
well worth considering for Xmas or even a sneaky week before, AFAIK most of the pds links opens this weekend
[/img]
snow report
@hawkwind, thanks for the update. I'm taking my family out on the 23rd snowHead
latest report
Fingers crossed!
Its been unreal today esp after torrential rain on Monday.
snowing right now and not due till stop until the weekend Happy
Im an optimist
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Out in Les Gets today it was hard to remember how dreadful the last few years have been. They are working really hard on piste preparation.
ski holidays
@Pamski,
its such a beautiful place, never been before, staying in morzine but had a nicer vibe to it.
enjoyed the few runs, 1st lift till 1pm.
any suggestions for a informal lunch?
weren't sure mosying around, seen an Irish bar, any good?
ski holidays
@hawkwind, i’d expect cannons on so the tricky spots are more robust thru the season...
snow report
@under a new name,
I'm just happy to report what I see Happy
Spent 2 years reading and dreaming, now I'm living!
know feck all though, I did attempt a little foray between Pistes, that was fun!
ski holidays
@Evan Roberts, Agreed, my family has been skiing 2 - 3 times a year in Morzine each year for the past 5 years and we have no idea where Grizzli is!
ski holidays
Ah - it's another name for Piste G.
snow report
@hawkwind, it doesn't get much better, 50-60cm fresh snow and super quiet. You should have dropped me a line, would happily show you around, although not much is open yet, still managed to find a beer on the mountain (La Croix Blanche) and fondue in town (Vieux Chene). The Irish pub isn't my favourite, though good for live music, prefer Bar Bush.

@Pamski, piste bashers are working hard. One almost ran over the dog, another reversed too close to the wife, and a third was blatantly in my way when I was crossing from one off piste area to another. Little Angel

Was out with 2 ladies today who haven't done much off piste but wanted to try it out....perfect day for it, spent most time on the red run under Nauchets, which thankfully wasn't pisted, or even tracked.
Can the whole season be like this please.

http://youtube.com/v/okYi5eOHYAg
ski holidays
@langball,
we are kinda quiet and keep to ourselves but if your up for it we would appreciate a show round. I'm happy on reds, partner able on reds but happy on blues 😀
Pints / wine on us!
snow report
Nice video, we were first lift so seen all you guys do the off piste Happy crazy how quick it gets tracked out, on our way up loads were hammering the bit to our right.
Best lines were the opposite side, must of been a sunrise couple
really fun day 😀 1st year skiing where we felt we got it right away.
ski holidays
@hawkwind, pm'd ya.....yeah conditions play a big part in ease of skiing, and yes, you have to be up at the crack of dawn to get good lines, but still amazed at how few people didn't bother to hike up for 5 minutes to access a whole lot more in the bowl. Heard the Nauchets lift is open on the weekend.
latest report
Flying out on Friday. Can’t wait!

Is it likely to be fairly quiet?
snow report
@langball, fantastic vid. We'll be there 1st Feb, can't wait! Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy