Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
@Jenniper, I reckon with the area fully opening this coming weekend and with the current awesome conditions it'll be quite busy as the locals and anyone within driving distance will be hitting the slopes.

I might be wrong though
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
no_snow_in_swindon wrote:
I might be wrong though
The weather forecast might support that Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah that's OK - they'll all be back at work on Monday Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@langball, we are heading out there in 10-14 Jan, 8 of us, mixed ability staying in a catered chalet, any tips would be greatly appreciated (both piste and off-piste!) snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yucky morning, bit of snow, bit of rain, temperature around zero. After some online shopping we drove to the lake at Montriond thinking we would at least have coffee. The Bout de Lac all shuttered up and very closed, closer inspection showed a note in the door to say that it is re-opening on 1 February, so we wonder where has Madame gone?

Drove on to Ardent to check out, all go there with deliveries and repairs all over the place. We had a cup of coffee at the Cosy Cafe, which was l’Escapade till last year. Discovered that it is now owned by Family Ski Company, talked to the owner, and they will be open a couple of nights a week to serve their guests on Chalet staff night off.

Just as we were leaving we met a delivery chap, trying to deliver to the Cookie Cafe, Mossettes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@no_snow_in_swindon, my expectation is that there’s plenty opening this weekend to keep the locals happy and not much busyness anywhere...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pamski, How well covered was the home run at Ardent?
Trying to decide between there or PLJ on Saturday.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@WindOfChange, According to the Chatel.com website, the link with Avoriaz will be open this weekend, weather permitting, so you can park at either and ski both.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@WindOfChange, looked well covered but only from the car park! We did see a couple of girls who had probably skinned up and skied down. Looked all smiles, but that could have been after a good ski or relief to be at the bottom.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don’t worry about the cover. Worry about if you can get there. It is going to get absolutely plastered over the next 2 days! ❄️❄️❄️

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, I have a (raised) defender with snow tyres, that can drive in a couple of foot of unploughed snow Smile
Always happy to winch people out of the snow too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Sack the Juggler, am sure you'll cover all the on piste stuff easily....I don't know the names of them and only use them as a last resort, but lift / mountain wise the best reds are off Mont Chery nord, Ranfoilly, Chamossiere, Perrieres, Nyon, the bowl and so on. Drop me a message when you are in town, if the snow is good and am around, can point out some lesser known off piste. Loads of easy stuff to access in the bowl / Chavannes area / Mont Chery.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice promo video from the Morzine facebook page showing the preperations for this weekends opening.....

https://www.facebook.com/skipassmorzine/videos/1964426623807024/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can I please ask what might be a daft question?

Our first day of skiing is this Saturday. We'll be heading up to Avoriaz on our first day, but ideally we'd like to be able to head over to Plein Dranse and Chatel, which is outside of the Avoriaz lift pass area. As the PDS website isn't selling full area passes valid before it officially opens on the 23rd, will I be able to get back from Chatel or will I need to buy another lift pass when I get there?

Or will the ticket offices sell PDS passes on the basis that some links will be open?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jenniper, To ski back from Chatel you will need a PDS pass. if the links are open then the offices will be selling them. However I would pay attention to @BobinCH post re the weather forecast before making any plans. The higher links maybe closed for safety reasons
ski holidays
BergenBergen wrote:
if the links are open then the offices will be selling them.

This was what I wasn't sure about, so thank you!

I'm a weather obssessive (like most of us Laughing ) so I'll be keeping an eye on those links.
ski holidays
@Jenniper, I would expect, but who knows the machinations of a PdS functionary, that if links are open, they'll sell the means to use them...
latest report
Well this is it - not wanting to stereotype but my experience of 'French Logic' when it comes to lift timetables and lift passes - across the alps and both in winter and summer - suggests I should not make ANY assumptions Laughing
snow report
@Jenniper Not a bad problem to have given the conditions this time last year and the previous one. Wherever you ski you are guaranteed better conditions.
ski holidays
Amen to that!
latest report
Anyone ski testing this weekend? It was great fun last year and a few of us are back to do it again. We'll get to try out some powder skis this year, instead of piste ones. Very Happy
snow report
@Jenniper, I'm sure the ticket office at Prodains, Ardent or up in Avoriaz will sell a discounted pass based on whats open. I think I'm correct in saying that It won't be a 'full' PdS pass but also it won't be a fully priced. Check the weather and whats open(ing) and buy your pass from that info.

If the Viz is terrible then maybe only an Avoriaz pass on Saturday and have a pootle around the lower slopes in Avoriaz on Saturday down to Les Linderets, Ardent and down to Prodains (Or even maybe ski Morzine on Saturday if your staying anywhere near town as there is more tree-line skiing on the Morzine/LesGets side).

You will need what ever 'full area' pass is on sale if you want to Ski down to Plan Dranse/Linga from the Avoriaz sector and catch Rochessons chair lift back up.

https://www.piste-maps.co.uk/Piste-Maps/France/Chatel-PisteMap-2014.pdf

P.S If you make it over to the chatel sector then a coffee in Chez Babeth in Plane dranse is an idea (Take your camera) It's like Christmas puked up in there.
snow report
Oh fabulous, I will definitely check it out! PD is a common elevenses stop for us - there's a little place which does the BEST chocolate and pear tart but Chez Babeth sounds like it's not to be missed.
latest report
For those who fancy a challenge and are motivated by half price beer....

https://www.avorinet.com/news/cookie-cafe-challenge-launches-this-winter-700494
snow report
doddsie wrote:
Anyone ski testing this weekend? It was great fun last year and a few of us are back to do it again. We'll get to try out some powder skis this year, instead of piste ones. Very Happy

Yes - my husband has registered and wants to try some powder skis too Cool

OHMYGODIMSOEXCITED!
snow report
Hi folks, We've never been to Morzine before but considering a quick trip out between 20-24 December with an option to stay in Morzine itself. Given current weather forecasts can anyone give me any idea of what is likely to be open / how far we will be able to ski at the end of next week and what lift pass option would be the best bet (I read somewhere further up the thread that the full PDS pass doesn't go on sale until the 23rd?) Many thanks.
snow conditions
@magicskis, current weather forecasts have nothing to do with it and anyway are good.

There’s enough snow that it would take a catastrophe (oh here I go tempting fate) to screw things up.

Lift passes? No idea but I suspect by then the whole area will be open.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@magicskis, current weather forecasts have nothing to do with it and anyway are good.

There’s enough snow that it would take a catastrophe (oh here I go tempting fate) to screw things up.

Lift passes? No idea but I suspect by then the whole area will be open.

@under a new name
Thanks, I was hoping you would say something like that Very Happy
Now I just need need to make some excuses to get a few extra days off work......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Super Morzine Bubble is open today and that sector fully open. So anyone staying in Morzine town centre area doesnt need to get the bus upto the Prodains lift! Very Happy
snow report
I'm staying with some friends in Morzine for New Year - we'll be skiing all over, where are the best hot chocolate/cake stops?
snow report
We’ve only just arrived so won’t ski today. Just having lunch - it’s so quiet in town! Lots of snow forecast tonight by the looks of it. Tomorrow is looking gooooood Cool
ski holidays
@no_snow_in_swindon Thanks for the update on the Super Morzine gondola. All booked now so first ski of the season on Thursday Smile
latest report
@Jenniper and @magicskis..... You lucky *******'s Laughing
Enjoy! I'm sat here's looking at the webcams and live piste map counting down another 31 days until I arrive.
snow conditions
@GreenRob, My favourites include the Cookie Bar at the top of the Mossettes lift, the bars in the Linderets Bowl and Chez Babeth in the Plaine Drance area towards Chatel. To be fair though... there's tons of decent ones
ski holidays
Fire in the Coyote Bar! Or maybe next door - not too sure.

Check my Instagram stories @jenraison
snow conditions
It’s in the underground bar I think - is that The Tibetan?
latest report
Photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33457127@N02/shares/yf85C8
snow conditions
Eek, that looks serious Shocked
snow report
@Jenniper, The Tibetan or the Cavern. Hope everyone is ok.

snow conditions
Quote:

where are the best hot chocolate/cake stops

And on a similar theme, any recommended restaurants for dinner in Avoriaz please? And good lunch stops too Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy